Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 25 Nov 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Athens City Break - Mini Trip Report

Its taken me a long while to get round to writing this but I've decided do a few mini trip reports from some of our city breaks both past and future. I know a few people post on here asking for suggestions of places to go so it may give some of you an idea of somewhere to visit and if you are going some suggestions of things to do.

We visited Athens in October 2017 and its been a place I had wanted to visit for a while. I'm a bit of a history geek and love visiting ancient sights and ruins so this looked to be right up my street and to be honest it did not disappoint, it actually ended up being one of my favorite places I have visited and has certainly given me a desire to explore more of Greece. We booked our trip through Expedia getting a great deal on flights and a central hotel for 3 of us. I pre-booked a couple of trips and we decided on getting the Acropolis pass to take in the main sights of the city whilst we where there.

Travel Day - 28th October 2017

We travelled from Heathrow with British Airways at 1.15pm so stayed over the night before. We left from Terminal 5 which we hadn't flown from before and it did take me a fair bit of time trying to keep Kirsty out of the designer shops but she certainly enjoyed some window shopping at least. The flight was fine and we arrived at Athens just before 7.00pm in the evening. I had read prior to going that tourists did have to watch for pickpockets on the metro from the airport so we had pre-booked a private taxi transfer to our hotel. Our driver Giannis was waiting for us and in no time we where heading off for our hotel - Airotel Parthenon. Giannis was great and we had a good chat on the way to the hotel, he was a really friendly guy and told us lots about himself and his family as well as Greece. We spoke about their economy and he invited us to a party in the mountains with his family which unfortunately we didn't have time to go too.

Once dropped off we checked in and put our bags in the room before heading out for food. We had booked the Hard Rock Cafe as Sam always likes to visit these if there is one so we set off on a 15 minute walk to the restaurant. It was here that I got my first view of the Acropolis all floodlit and looking amazing up on the hill overlooking Athens.

We walked through Plaka passing a few of the sights we would be visited the next day before arriving at the Hard Rock Cafe. I tried the local legendary which was topped with a feta cheese and olive mix which was pretty amazing with a flight of mojitos to go with it and it was a really good meal. After we had finished the travel day had caught up with us so we headed off back to the hotel and I stopped at Starbucks on the way to pick up a couple of mugs for my collection before we hit our beds and where soon asleep.

29th October 2017

We slept well and headed down for breakfast at the hotel. There was a great choice of food and we really enjoyed the Greek yogurt they had with a good choice of toppings, the local honey being a favorite. Today we where planning to see a lot of the ancient sights and started off seeing Hadrian's Arch which was just near the hotel.

We then headed off to the Acropolis picking up our pass which was 30 euros and lasted a total of 5 days. As it would of been about 20 euro just to head up to the Acropolis we though this a good bargain and set up to climb to the Parthenon. It was nice and warm today but not too hot which we had read it does get in the height of summer. We started the climb up the hill passing some of the ancient sights on the way. We soon arrived at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus an ancient theatre on the slopes of the Acropolis.

It was an impressive sight and really blew me away how complete it still was. There were a lot of people around here as there was another entrance to the complex and a lot of day trips from the cruise ships seemed to enter here but although there were a few people around it never felt too crowded. We continued our climb and soon arrived at the Parthenon.

I loved it up here and as well as the Parthenon there were a lot of other temples and sights to see. We chilled for a bit in the warm October sun as well as enjoying the views over central Athens and across the city. There is work still being done on the temple but it didn't detract from how impressive it was and it certainly did not disappoint. Once we had spent some time up the hill we headed down and towards Monastiraki Square where we picked up some souvlaki for lunch with some very strong Greek coffee too, delicious!. After lunch we then headed to see some more of the ancient sights located nearby starting at the Hadrian's Library, the Tower of the Winds and Roman Agora

Close by was the Ancient Agora of Athens which included some museums and the stunning Temple of Hephaestus.

We spent a fair while in here too chilling in the shade, exploring the museums and the ancient sights. After here we then decided to head back to the hotel via the Plaka, a great neighbourhood with lots of local restaurants and shops upon the Acropolis slopes. It was a lovely place to explore and we did some shopping on the way back to our room. After a freshen up we headed back to the Plaka and had a great meal at a local place where I had rabbit, it was delicious, whilst making friends with the local cats.

Back at the hotel we all said what an amazing first day we'd had. Athens had certainly impressed us and the sights where second to none. We had packed a lot in as tomorrow we had a trip out and a food tour in the morning so where ready to see something out of the city as well as get our fill of some Greek cuisine.

30th October 2017

We had booked a food tour today which I had read some great reviews for with Taste of Athens. We still managed some breakfast and more of that brilliant Greek yogurt. Our meeting point was about a 25 minute walk away and as we where ready early decided we would stop to see the Changing of the Guard first at Syntagma Square.

It was a really interesting to watch and we stayed to watch the whole process as they changed at the tomb of the unknown soldier. After this we headed over to our nearby meeting point outside of a local Zara. We met up with our guide, a local girl, who was really friendly and keen to show us round her city and let us taste some of what Athens has to offer. She took us off the beaten track and to some places I don't think many tourists wander into. It gave us a real feel for Athens the city away from the tourists sights and we really enjoyed exploring with her.

Hands down this tour was fantastic. We started off tasting some local bread, koulouri, before being taken to a place frying fresh donuts, loukoumades, which where topped with chopped nuts and honey. My waistline was already groaning! After this we where taken to the meat and fish market, followed by the fruit market where we had nuts, fresh figs, olives and fruits. We went to a local taverna for some small plates of local specialties before we went to a deli for cured meats and a spice shop. Following this was another shop for local spirits and cheeses where we all had some very strong and potent shots. They certainly perked us up. Next a local pie shop for feta and spinach and sweet custard pies before we ended at another taverna for souvlakis under the shades of the trees. I don't think I have ever been so stuffed and well fed, it was just over £40 a person which I felt was a bargain. We could hardly move. We spent the last of our time on the tour chatting with the rest of the group before saying our farewells and waddling back to the hotel. This certainly gave me my new found love of Greek food.

Our second tour was a trip out to Cape Sounion to see the sunset over the Temple of Poseidon. The bus was picking us up at 4.30pm so we had time to head back, freshen up and get some warmer clothes before setting off for the meeting point. The bus arrived on time and we where on with about 8 others and soon on our way which was to take about an hour. The driver was great and told us lots about Greek mythology and the history of the temple. We had a stop on route where we had chance to catch up with him and had a really good chat with, a real interesting guy. Back on the bus we where soon then at the temple and paid our fee to get inside and headed off to see the sunset. It was a bit cloudy but the clouds did lift for us to see the sun disappear over the temple and into the sea. It was stunning.

Our driver had spoke with us and Sam about Sam's education and what his plans for the future where as well as taking a family picture for us, he was really interested in talking to us and us to him. It was a beautiful setting to see the sunset and a few other groups of people had set out to see it too. Once it dropped dark we left this beautiful place and went back to the bay to grab a drink in a local bar where Kirsty made friends with one of the local cats which we had to prize her away from and back to the bus. Back at Athens I had found a really well rated restaurant on Tripadvisor the night before near the hotel called Liondi. We chatted with them yesterday and said we would come back and they welcomed us like old friends when we headed in and had a table there for us. Wow, amazing food and really friendly staff. It was so good we ate there the next two days which is something we never really do but this was so great we just didn't want to go anywhere else. Stuffed, well fed and after a few good drinks we walked back to the hotel and where soon in our beds asleep.

31st October 20178

Today's plan was to see more of the ancient sights and after breakfast our first stop was the Temple of the Olympian Zeus which although didn't have much left did not let me down.

We had passed this on our first day and had seen it from up on the Acropolis too, the footprint of the temple was huge and it must have looked absolutely stunning when complete. Had some great views across to the Parthenon too. After here we headed off to the Panathenaic Stadium, build all the way back in 566BC. As we arrived there was security everywhere as well as lots of the guards we had seen yesterday and it was then we found that we had stumbled across the official handover of the Olympic torch for the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. It was free to head in so after a brief security check we took our seats and watched the show.

We saw the Hellenic President attend as well as all the displays and shows before the torch was handed over, it was a chance but really lucky find and we where so glad we had seen it. When we left we even passed the guy holding the lantern containing the flame ready for it to head on it's final leg to Pyeongchang. We then went for a coffee before taking the time to head off and up Lycabettus hill for some impressive views over Athens. We then came back down and went back to explore the Panathenaic Stadium after it had been cleared from the mornings events.

It didn't cost much to head inside and we all had a run around the track which would most probably be as close as we would ever get to compete in the Olympics in any event. We then went into their museum where there were lots of information on the history of the games as well as displays of historic posters and flame torches. Sam picked up some pin badges and an Olympic poster before we left the stadium and went back to the Acropolis museum. Loved it here and it was great to be in a place where so many Olympic games had been held.

It had dropped dark now and we heading in to see what the Acropolis museum had to offer. As you enter you walk on a glass floor over an old ruined and excavated city before you explore and climb for stunning views across to the Parthenon. You could easily spent a few hours in here and we only really left ourselves time to see the main sights. As our favourite restaurant was just outside here we went to see our friends at Liondi finishing the night with some brilliant Greek food, drink and hospitality again.

1st November 2017

Sadly we where leaving today so after breakfast left our bags with the hotel and went off for wander. We started with a climb up to the Philopappos Monument which is up on Filopappou Hill. It was an easy climb through the olive trees as it wasn't too warm and we were rewarded with some lovely views again over the city and the Acropolis.

Once we had explored here we set off to see the last place in our pass, Kerameikos, an ancient sight which also includes a cemetery. This was an easy walk around the Acropolis hill and after we had visited this last place we had a steady walk back before our final lunch with our friends at Liondi. All too soon we had to head back to the hotel so we said a sad farewell to the guys at the restaurant, it was hugs all round and we walked back to collect our bags and soon enough our taxi was there for us and took us back to the airport for our flight home.

The flight was fine and we had a hotel booked back near Heathrow due to us landing later in the evening. We then drove back home to Hull the next day.

Athens delivered for me on many levels. Firstly the sights and history was amazing, some of the best things I had seen and I loved learning about the place. The people where some of the friendliest we have met and we felt welcome everywhere we went. It was a great place to wander and explore and we felt comfortable and safe wherever we went. There was a lot of graffiti but I felt this added to the atmosphere, it had a good vibe and we loved wandering. Some people might think it looks a bit run down but we loved it. Like any city there are areas and places to avoid but we never felt concerned at all. As city breaks go this was one, if not, my favourite. A lot of people I know head to Barcelona, Rome, Paris ... the popular ones, and great as these places are I do feel Athens has as much to offer for people willing to travel and see it. If anyone wants anymore information or tips if they are thinking of going just let me know, I'm sure if you give it a chance you won't be disappointed. I know we will definitely go back again and explore more of this amazing city and country.

Edited at 05:24 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for taking the time to write this. We are quite new to city breaks, only visited New York and Venice, Italy. Both of which we thoroughly enjoyed. We are always interested in new places to visit but I must admit we have never considered Athens. Our 18 year old DD has always enjoyed Greek mythology and history so this sounds just the sort of place we would enjoy. I love the sound of the food tour too.

Is the city easy to get around? Did you mainly walk? The locals sound very friendly and helpful too. Thanks again for posting this
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 18, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write this. We are quite new to city breaks, only visited New York and Venice, Italy. Both of which we thoroughly enjoyed. We are always interested in new places to visit but I must admit we have never considered Athens. Our 18 year old DD has always enjoyed Greek mythology and history so this sounds just the sort of place we would enjoy. I love the sound of the food tour too.

Is the city easy to get around? Did you mainly walk? The locals sound very friendly and helpful too. Thanks again for posting this
We walked everywhere, from where we stayed most places where between 15 - 30 minutes maximum and the ancient sights really close. We found we saw much more walking it is very walkable

I’d read some stories about tourists being targeted on the metro from the airport so booked the taxi which wasn’t too bad price wise and worked really well. They guy who took us back to the airport offered to take us anywhere we hadn’t seen.

Our hotel wasn’t expensive and really central, 5 minutes to base of the Acropolis. The trip out to Sounion was on Viator and about £23 from memory each.

It was an amazing place. We liked going in October too as it’s still warm and the sights don’t close early for winter too. If you need to know anymore just let me know happy to help if I can.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 18, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

The taxi does sound a better option especially with luggage. We enjoy walking around cities, so Athens sounds perfect. We found both Venice and NYC quite simple to get around on foot (not many other options with Venice 😂 )

We are actually looking for ideas for a week in October next year so it’s good to know the weather is nice then too. Thanks for all the info 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

No problem at all - anything else I can help with,if you book, just let me know.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Old 31 Dec 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
No problem at all - anything else I can help with,if you book, just let me know.
As you now know, I have booked. I hadn’t realised that it was your trip report that tempted me to visit Athens originally 😀 I have now reread your report, and it’s made me even more excited for our trip. I’m definitely visiting Cape Sounion now and will hopefully find your restaurant and raise a glass to thank you for inspiring us to visit Athens
Old 10 Jan 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi, I was just wondering who you booked your taxi transfers with and how long before you travelled did you book them? I would prefer to know they are prebooked to save time when we land with our luggage etc.

Also, did you use taxis in the city at all? Our hotel is around 20 minutes walk from Plaka area and we are happy to walk that in the day, but have heard that it’s not the best walk when dark so we were thinking of using a taxi back to our hotel when dark. I know there is an app (Beat) which works like Uber in Athens so would use this probably but if that isn’t good, I wondered how easy it is to get taxis in the evenings.

I have such a long list of places to visit now. We are all really looking forward to the trip. Gives us something to cheer up the winter evenings, planning our trip 😀
Old 10 Jan 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Hi, I was just wondering who you booked your taxi transfers with and how long before you travelled did you book them? I would prefer to know they are prebooked to save time when we land with our luggage etc.

Also, did you use taxis in the city at all? Our hotel is around 20 minutes walk from Plaka area and we are happy to walk that in the day, but have heard that it’s not the best walk when dark so we were thinking of using a taxi back to our hotel when dark. I know there is an app (Beat) which works like Uber in Athens so would use this probably but if that isn’t good, I wondered how easy it is to get taxis in the evenings.

I have such a long list of places to visit now. We are all really looking forward to the trip. Gives us something to cheer up the winter evenings, planning our trip 😀
Hi

We booked our transfers couple of months before we travelled, tried to see who I booked with and can’t see it unfortunately. It was about £40 each way from memory and worked really well as they met us as we arrived and gave us a good overview of the place on the drive in.

We never used taxis or the subway, we walked everywhere but where really close to Plaka and the Acropolis so wasn’t that far from anywhere. We didn’t have any trouble wandering around at all but stayed local to the hotel on an evening. Sure your hotel would be able to recommend or book one for you.

Friend of mine has just booked too, making me think I need to go back for a revisit!
Old 10 Jan 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Hi

We booked our transfers couple of months before we travelled, tried to see who I booked with and can’t see it unfortunately. It was about £40 each way from memory and worked really well as they met us as we arrived and gave us a good overview of the place on the drive in.

We never used taxis or the subway, we walked everywhere but where really close to Plaka and the Acropolis so wasn’t that far from anywhere. We didn’t have any trouble wandering around at all but stayed local to the hotel on an evening. Sure your hotel would be able to recommend or book one for you.

Friend of mine has just booked too, making me think I need to go back for a revisit!
That’s the price we are finding with various companies but I thought I would leave it a little nearer to book in case flight times change.

We will definitely be walking in the day and early evening as we prefer to walk around cities. I think we can assess how safe we feel on the route from our hotel when we get there and use taxis if needed at night. We’ve been to quite a few major cities and always feel safe.

I hope your friend enjoys their trip too. Do let me know if you book 😂