Link to this Post
happy bunny
Imagineer

happy bunny's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Just catching up with your wonderful trip report.

We also did a road trip starting in Boston, then up through Vermont for a couple of days, before heading West to friends just outside Buffalo. Over the border to Niagara and Niagara on the Lake, before more friends in Toronto.
We then headed North East to cross back over at Cornwall and onto Carroll as we too went on The Cog Railway, but the early Steam Hauled on.
What an experience and like you, it was shrouded in low cloud and a howling wind and rain at the top, but we wouldn't have missed it for the world.
A few more days with more friends, then a drive via the Kancamagus back to Boston for a few nights.

We just caught the start of fall and some of the colours were amazing and we even caught a Town Fair where we began to think we were an extra attraction as it seemed everyone wanted to talk to us!

Thank you for sharing your trip and evoking lots of good memories
Old 30 Jul 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by happy bunny View Post
Just catching up with your wonderful trip report.

We also did a road trip starting in Boston, then up through Vermont for a couple of days, before heading West to friends just outside Buffalo. Over the border to Niagara and Niagara on the Lake, before more friends in Toronto.
We then headed North East to cross back over at Cornwall and onto Carroll as we too went on The Cog Railway, but the early Steam Hauled on.
What an experience and like you, it was shrouded in low cloud and a howling wind and rain at the top, but we wouldn't have missed it for the world.
A few more days with more friends, then a drive via the Kancamagus back to Boston for a few nights.

We just caught the start of fall and some of the colours were amazing and we even caught a Town Fair where we began to think we were an extra attraction as it seemed everyone wanted to talk to us!

Thank you for sharing your trip and evoking lots of good memories
Sounds like an amazing trip too! We loved Niagara on the Lake - id you go on the jet boat down the rapids? Town fairs are wonderful - so much to see!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Catching up on this as part of my last minute panic planning for the New England trip that starts in a week! Random question about the cog railway - do you face forwards when you are going up and down or is one of them backwards? I can't travel backwards or I will get sick!

It looked like such a great day and the weather at the top was crazy!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Catching up on this as part of my last minute panic planning for the New England trip that starts in a week! Random question about the cog railway - do you face forwards when you are going up and down or is one of them backwards? I can't travel backwards or I will get sick!

It looked like such a great day and the weather at the top was crazy!
You face forwards on the way up and on the way back. They move the back of the seat so that it's on the other side - very clever! You get an allocated seat. Because we booked so far in advance we were in the front row going up and the back row coming down. Good fun! Have a great trip!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
You face forwards on the way up and on the way back. They move the back of the seat so that it's on the other side - very clever! You get an allocated seat. Because we booked so far in advance we were in the front row going up and the back row coming down. Good fun! Have a great trip!
Thanks so much for letting me know We may not do it as I don't know it we will have time, but it is good to know it is an option if there is availability on the day/ day before Amazing to have got the front row as well!

I have loved following along with your trip and getting ideas! Very excited now Thanks!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thanks so much for letting me know We may not do it as I don't know it we will have time, but it is good to know it is an option if there is availability on the day/ day before Amazing to have got the front row as well!

I have loved following along with your trip and getting ideas! Very excited now Thanks!
Glad you've enjoyed reading! Must finish it Been so busy with work and other things. Enjoy your trip and can't wait to read all about it. Let me know if you want Boston tips!

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 23 Sep 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Glad you've enjoyed reading! Must finish it Been so busy with work and other things. Enjoy your trip and can't wait to read all about it. Let me know if you want Boston tips!
I would love any Boston tips! We are doing a lot of the same places as you so any tips are gratefully received!

I admire anyone who finds time to do a full report - I have only ever managed one food one and it still took me ages! I will try and write a mini summary of this trip when I get back though as New England seems to begetting more and more popular
Old 24 Sep 19, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I would love any Boston tips! We are doing a lot of the same places as you so any tips are gratefully received!

I admire anyone who finds time to do a full report - I have only ever managed one food one and it still took me ages! I will try and write a mini summary of this trip when I get back though as New England seems to begetting more and more popular
Not sure how long you'll be there but here are my favourites (we've been there 3 times) -

Boston Common - great to explore and swan boats are fun
From here follow the red bricks and walk the Freedom Trail
The original Cheers Bar is by the Common too

Go up the Prudential Building for amazing views of the city and shop in the mall underneath

Harvard is interesting - you'll need a subway ticket
Also by subway - the JFK Memorial Library - absolutely amazing museum
Red Sox Baseball if they're playing - it goes on forever!

Quincy Market and Fanieul Hall. Newbury Comics is here if you're into film and tv

Ghosts & Gravestones ghost bus - lots of fun

Ferry to Salem and back on the train

South Street Diner - iconic place with amazing breakfast!
Cannoli from Modern Pastry in the Italian quarter

Walk around the streets between Back Bay and the river to see the big houses

There's also the Boston Tea Party Ship, Aquarium and the trolleys, which we've not done

Hope this helps! Boston is mostly walkable and good exercise! Have fun x

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 24 Sep 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Not sure how long you'll be there but here are my favourites (we've been there 3 times) -

Boston Common - great to explore and swan boats are fun
From here follow the red bricks and walk the Freedom Trail
The original Cheers Bar is by the Common too

Go up the Prudential Building for amazing views of the city and shop in the mall underneath

Harvard is interesting - you'll need a subway ticket
Also by subway - the JFK Memorial Library - absolutely amazing museum
Red Sox Baseball if they're playing - it goes on forever!

Quincy Market and Fanieul Hall. Newbury Comics is here if you're into film and tv

Ghosts & Gravestones ghost bus - lots of fun

Ferry to Salem and back on the train

South Street Diner - iconic place with amazing breakfast!
Cannoli from Modern Pastry in the Italian quarter

Walk around the streets between Back Bay and the river to see the big houses

There's also the Boston Tea Party Ship, Aquarium and the trolleys, which we've not done

Hope this helps! Boston is mostly walkable and good exercise! Have fun x
Oh wow! Thank you so much for this I am now wishing we had much more time! We have one full day, as well as our arrival afternoon/ evening and a morning before we go to Plymouth and Cape Cod.

Boston Common, Cheers Bar and Freedom trail are on our list for the main day and a tour of Fenway Park (no time to see a game sadly) and a tour of Harvard are on our morning before we leave. I actually found South Street diner the other day and it looked great, so it is brilliant to have a personal recommendation. Have also added Modern Pastry to our list, so thanks!

We are going to Salem, but on our last day on the way to the airport (on a Saturday in October, this may be a huge mistake but no way of changing it now!).

You have done so much of Boston, I am impressed! There is no way we will do it justice, but hopefully we will get a taste The primary purpose of the trip was to see the Fall colours, but I am already learning I do not have enough time in 2 weeks to do New England any justice at all!

Thanks again
Old 16 Jan 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I've now - finally finished - the trip report Don't know if you've been yet but hope you had a great time!

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022