Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 5 Nov 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

You've fit so much into the few days you've had.

I love the photo with the kayak

I loved Pocahontas when I was younger, we've just got it and plan to watch it at the weekend with the kids

Really enjoyed your report again Abby and definitely one for us to pop on the ever growing list so thank you xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Excellent last day, you made the most of every last minute!
I love that photo of you and Max. The 2 museums look really interesting, especially the Museum of American Indian. Will add those to the list of must sees!
The food at the Dubliner looks lovely, will jot that one down.
You struck it lucky with the seats on the plane and having a row of three between 2. I love it when that happens
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your report Abby, I have loads of hints and tips written down for our trip next year

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I think I would have preferred the American Indian museum too. I’m not always a big fan of museums because I sometimes find myself back in my student days when I had to analyse how the information has been interpreted and presented to the public...I think I must suffer from museum fatigue-it’s a strange habit I need to switch off!
Can you ever really go wrong with an Irish bar? I feel like we sampled far too many in New York but we were child free!
A good flight home, shame it wasn’t business!
I’ve enjoyed following along and can’t wait for the next City break-I’ll keep my fingers crossed you go for Canada and I can just copy your itinerary!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Your plans sound really interesting. Italy is somewhere we've not touched and so we really should add it into the mix. A friend just got back from Florence and was raving that it better than Rome.
Our son and his fiancée love Italy and they also said they prefer Florence to Rome, but both Georgia and I love the film Roman Holiday so it’s one we have to tick off our list 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
We knew about the Marine Corps marathon, as we’d originally planned Arlington for today. But I don’t think we’d have got anywhere near it, as we heard it started and ended at Arlington. What a miserable morning’s weather for them to run in though. Glad you got to see some of it while you were out though.

I need to keep Martin away from your trip report, because if he reads up about the Air and Space Museum, I’ll be in big trouble that I didn’t tell him about it before we went!

I love the photo of your kids ‘sitting’ in the kayak - it’s very clever.

Oh and I have some matching bites. Think I got them from the Arlington Cemetery day. Well that’s when I first became aware of them anyway, although there were a lot of gnat like things by the Reflecting Pool on Saturday.

Oh and Toronto is a great place for a city break. We loved it there.
I know running in all that rain must have been awful. I won't tell Martin about Air and Space so your secret is safe. I'm kind of glad you got bitten too! I think we got most of ours on the day we went to Jefferson and FDR. I actually hit a gnat or whatever it was that was on Kate's arm while she was eating a banana at the Roosevelt memorial. I don't know wherever they were I wasn't expecting it.

I'm keen on Toronto as I really want to go out to Niagara, we will see...no firm plans just yet, but when a seed of an idea is sown the plans aren't usually far behind.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
You've fit so much into the few days you've had.

I love the photo with the kayak

I loved Pocahontas when I was younger, we've just got it and plan to watch it at the weekend with the kids

Really enjoyed your report again Abby and definitely one for us to pop on the ever growing list so thank you xx
Yes the kayak one is a good photo. I think we did really well to fit in all the memorials and museums. It was a great trip. There's so many places on my wish list too, I'm not sure how I'm ever going to get around to them.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Excellent last day, you made the most of every last minute!
I love that photo of you and Max. The 2 museums look really interesting, especially the Museum of American Indian. Will add those to the list of must sees!
The food at the Dubliner looks lovely, will jot that one down.
You struck it lucky with the seats on the plane and having a row of three between 2. I love it when that happens
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your report Abby, I have loads of hints and tips written down for our trip next year
It's a funny selfie of us both. I like it too. I don't think you could go wrong with the museums and a couple of hours is all you need really, ok so we didn't read everything, but we managed to get a good feel for it all. The American Indian museum was my favourite of the day.

We did get lucky on the plane, the kids stretched out and we all slept well.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
I think I would have preferred the American Indian museum too. I’m not always a big fan of museums because I sometimes find myself back in my student days when I had to analyse how the information has been interpreted and presented to the public...I think I must suffer from museum fatigue-it’s a strange habit I need to switch off!
Can you ever really go wrong with an Irish bar? I feel like we sampled far too many in New York but we were child free!
A good flight home, shame it wasn’t business!
I’ve enjoyed following along and can’t wait for the next City break-I’ll keep my fingers crossed you go for Canada and I can just copy your itinerary!
Definitely can't go wrong with an Irish bar. This was great. We like to pick them, at least we know what we'll get we also went to a couple of good ones in Boston. But this time the others all made better menu choices than I did. I could have happily eaten any of their meals. Not that mine was bad, it was nice, but I was envious of Dave's stew and Kate's BLT and Max's steak. Ah well, the Dark and Stormy made up for it. I've not had one of those before. I've since looked it up and have a recipe and plan on making it this weekend so expect to be bombarded by cocktail photos

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Our son and his fiancée love Italy and they also said they prefer Florence to Rome, but both Georgia and I love the film Roman Holiday so it’s one we have to tick off our list 😀
Interesting, another vote for Florence. I'd still go for Rome too though like you.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 10:06 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Definitely can't go wrong with an Irish bar. This was great. We like to pick them, at least we know what we'll get we also went to a couple of good ones in Boston. But this time the others all made better menu choices than I did. I could have happily eaten any of their meals. Not that mine was bad, it was nice, but I was envious of Dave's stew and Kate's BLT and Max's steak. Ah well, the Dark and Stormy made up for it. I've not had one of those before. I've since looked it up and have a recipe and plan on making it this weekend so expect to be bombarded by cocktail photos .
Our first Dark & Stormy was in New York, it’s a definite hit in this house. We actually had some great cocktails that night, I tried my very first espresso martini there too. I look forward to the weekend to see your cocktail photos
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Wonderful report. Fun pictures. I enjoy reading your writing and I am now inspired to add Washington DC to our list! Thanks.
Old 7 Nov 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for a great report very interesting and picked up some good tips for when we visit next year .
Old 7 Nov 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Our first Dark & Stormy was in New York, it’s a definite hit in this house. We actually had some great cocktails that night, I tried my very first espresso martini there too. I look forward to the weekend to see your cocktail photos
You know I love an espresso martini. It sounds like you had a great night in New York, but I bet it was expensive I remember the cocktails being quite pricey from when we were there.

Originally Posted by sunshines View Post
Wonderful report. Fun pictures. I enjoy reading your writing and I am now inspired to add Washington DC to our list! Thanks.
Thank you, that's lovely of you to say. I always start with the idea of writing the reports for me and have them all saved on my pc at home with the idea of reading them all one day when I can't remember them all so well. I have this hope that the kids will read them and have fond memories of the trips when they are older. Anyway, I'm also so lucky to be able to post them on here as I love to write them and it's so nice to be able to share them people who enjoy them as well, so then I try to add in tips and hints and lots of side comments too. So I'm glad it doesn't bore you to death!

Originally Posted by Jesslydevie1 View Post
Thanks for a great report very interesting and picked up some good tips for when we visit next year .
That's great I hope you enjoy your trip next year. Apply early for White House tickets, I think that's why we didn't get them as I left it too late and they had all gone. But still the Capitol was a great tour.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Hi I've really enjoyed reading your report and Washington is definitely on our to-go list, hopefully in 2021! Thanks for taking the time

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List