Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Jan 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall! Day 16 - Exploring Boston

Day 16 – Boston exploring, JFK Museum & Red Sox

Today it wasn’t the bet of weather – blowy and raining a fair bit. Luckily this was the day we had planned to go to the John F Kennedy Presidential Library, so we knew that we’d be inside for a few hours at least! The Boxer didn’t provide us with breakfast so we ventured out to nearby Au Bon Pain café for a breakfast.

This was a subway – The T - ride away, followed by a short, free shuttle bus. As we knew we were also going to be using the subway that evening for our Red Sox game we bought a day ticket. The Haymarket subway station was only 5 minutes, if that, from the hotel. I find the Boston T so much easier to understand than the New York Subway as it’s much more like the London one. We caught the red line to JFL/University and then hopped on the waiting shuttle.

The museum is a huge building and dedicated to President Kennedy’s life and history. We spent a long time looking at all the exhibits. These were very evocative of the times as well as of his life. It was a stunning place and the exhibits were very evocative. I particularly liked an essay Jackie had written at school - wise words.

What might have been …. I’d read Stephen King’s excellent book 11.22.63 a couple of years back and wondered what would have happened if he’d lived. I actually think that Bobby Kennedy would have made an even better President. We had a rest with a coffee and obligatory cookie before getting the shuttle back to the subway.

We got the red line again and got off at Downtown Crossing to change to the green line for the Prudential. Although we knew the view wasn’t going to be the best, we wanted to revisit the Skywalk Observatory – and of course visit the shops! We went up the 50 floors of the tower and looked at the misty views. We could see the Red Sox stadium and wondered if the game would still be ok for that night.

Back on the ground, we looked around the shops for a while. I was very good and made minimal purchases in Bath & Body Works (unlike previously in Miami where I got so much we were overweight and had to do the unpack of shame at the checkin!). We grabbed a quick coffee and donuts from Dunkin Donuts before heading back on the T to our hotel.

We got ourselves organised before heading out once more for the baseball. We intended to eat at the stadium – has to be a hotdog! Will was really looking forward to seeing Fenway Park, with all it’s history. This was the real reason we were going. We’d been to baseball before in Seattle and vowed not to go again as it was really long and complicated! I’d bought the tickets before we left home and we were unsure whether we were under cover or not, as a lot of the stadium seemed to be out in the open.

Of course our entrance was the furthest possible point from the subway station! Fenway Park was a beautiful building though, lots of ironwork and obviously iconic to the fans. We bought our foot-long hotdogs and beer (yum!) and headed to our seats which, thankfully, were under cover even though they weren’t at all expensive. The Red Sox were playing the Cleveland Indians.

Maybe it wasn’t a particularly inviting match or the weather put people off but the ground wasn’t anywhere near full. People were sat out in the rain with ponchos on, even though I’m sure they could have moved back under cover.

Cleveland batted first. After two Cleveland innings and one Red Sox, with no score at all, it really started to chuck it down. An army of people came out and rolled the covers over the pitch. They did this incredibly fast - obviously used to it!

People moved to the concourse for refreshments/drying off. We waited another half hour and then decided that there was no way the match was going to restart and headed off to the subway, with loads of other people.

By the time we got back to the hotel we were soaked and changed out of out wet clothes. We went down to the hotel bar and and a couple of cocktails – a far better way to spend the evening!

Back in the room we put on the TV. The match had restarted after 70 minutes! Unbelieveably the match went on until 12.30am! Boston lost 5-2 and people were STILL sitting out in the rain in their ponchos!

Index here - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...8#post13903548

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Shame about the weather! I really enjoyed seeing inside Fenway Park - we did a tour rather than seeing a game and it was really interesting! Although we nearly missed out tour altogether due to crazy Boston traffic - a crazy but amazing Uber driver somehow got us there with minutes to spare!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List