Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Jan 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall! Day 17 - More Exploring Boston

Day 17 – Boston exploring

We had a bit of a lie in today and left the hotel around 10am.

We caught the orange line from Haymarket to Chinatown. Will was after some goji berries and Chinese shops usually sell them really cheaply. He’s bought some in Bar Harbor but was on the lookout for more.

Chinatown was quite disappointing. Maybe it was too early in the morning, but it was very scruffy and not very nice at all. We walked past one restaurant and could hear a cockerel crow from inside – bet he didn’t crow for much longer.

Our destination was the South Street Diner, which I’d read about. This was a typical old diner and absolutely wonderful! We only waited a few minutes for a table and had a fab breakfast. I’d really recommend it here if you’re looking for somewhere to eat.

We walked off our food by following the Rose Kennedy Greenway along the waterfront. There was the most beautiful mural of swallows on one of the buildings. We loved the animals merry-go-round!
We saw the Ghost Bus near the Aquarium and remembered what a fun time we’d had on it when we last visited – definitely to be recommended!

From here we headed back inland towards the Fanueil Hall Marketplace. Will bought some new jeans in American Eagle, along with a T shirt for our son. We went into Newbury Comics as both us and our children are big movie and tv fans. This place is like the Tardis! Much to our surprise, an old friend was working there and happened to be on shift! We had no idea he was working there! He was stunned to see us there and we had a long chat with him!

After we’d said our goodbyes we headed for the Italian quarter and Modern Bakery. I’d read about the Cannolis on offer here and read the reviews versus the other bakeries around – and there are a lot! It was really busy with a line of people waiting to buy to go but we managed to get seated in the café area very quickly. I had the most gorgeous lemon Cannoli, so good that it warranted a food photo!

We walked round the area and saw the restaurant that was on Gordon Ramsey’s rescue show – it had shut down! I remembered the episode with the 2 crazy sisters, Their mum’s restaurant was nearby and very successful but they had no idea how to run things!

We went back to the hotel for a rest and freshen up

I was pleased that it was closer than I thought and just as well because we headed back to the North End for dinner! We went to the Antico Forno restaurant. Really lovely and typical Italian – loud, friendly and efficient with yummy food!

Food was followed by a few drinks at West End Johnnie’s sports bar near our hotel. We watched the second game in the Stanley Cup – sadly the Bruins lost 2 – 3 to the Blues and would eventually lose the series on the last march.

We returned to the hotel and were sad that this was the last night of a brilliant holiday where everything had gone to plan. We still had most of the next day in Boston though 😊

Index here - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...8#post13903548

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 02:49 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

We went to Modern Pastry on your recommendation and it was amazing! We stood in a 30 minute line for takeaway - but still worth it! I had the most amazing strawberry shortcake and my partner had a canolli and really enjoyed it - so thanks
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
We went to Modern Pastry on your recommendation and it was amazing! We stood in a 30 minute line for takeaway - but still worth it! I had the most amazing strawberry shortcake and my partner had a canolli and really enjoyed it - so thanks
Yay so glad you enjoyed it and it was worth the wait

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List