Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Jan 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
bobcat12
Excited about Disney

Mobile Toyota RAV4

Hi all,
Has anyone hired an intermediate SUV from Alamo at MCO recently and seen or picked up a RAV4?
I am considering buying one over here and wouldn't mind hiring one whilst on holiday to see if I still like it after a week or so (I know the US spec is different to the UK)
Thanks. Bob
bobcat12 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

I was given a RAV4 from Avis at LAX in the summer, having booked Ford Escape or similar.
Bit narked that the Sirius XM wasn't enabled but otherwise found the car comfy and adequate for our needs (4 adults). We did around 1,600 miles in the two weeks, travelling to Anaheim up PCH to San Francisco, and back via Yosemite National Park.
Found MPG was pretty good and car was a good drive.
I would consider the RAV4 a good practical car, but maybe was hoping for more in a holiday hire vehicle
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by trampslikeus View Post
I was given a RAV4 from Avis at LAX in the summer, having booked Ford Escape or similar.
Bit narked that the Sirius XM wasn't enabled but otherwise found the car comfy and adequate for our needs (4 adults). We did around 1,600 miles in the two weeks, travelling to Anaheim up PCH to San Francisco, and back via Yosemite National Park.
I would consider the RAV4 a good practical car, but maybe was hoping for more in a holiday hire vehicle
Was it the new model with the squared off wheel arches as it was a totally new design in 2019 which was the year that they changed model?

Edited at 12:14 PM.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bobcat12
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks! Yes it's always nice to have something like a Tahoe...but as you say for a family of four the RAV4 would make a good 'family car' Its only me this trip and I was going to book a compact car but I think it's a good opportunity to potentially suss the RAV4 out.
bobcat12 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bobcat12 View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone hired an intermediate SUV from Alamo at MCO recently and seen or picked up a RAV4?
I am considering buying one over here and wouldn't mind hiring one whilst on holiday to see if I still like it after a week or so (I know the US spec is different to the UK)
Thanks. Bob
Good idea. The biggest changes will be the US one will probably be non hybrid and have an eight speed auto box, whereas the U.K. will be hybrid and have a stepless CVT gearbox.
But I’m sur you will enjoy it

I’m looking at changing out my Toyota Corolla Hybrid later this year and the RAV4 is in first place for me.
Mind you I’m a bit like Blackpool rock in that if you cut my head off Toyota would be printed round the inside. Me and my Family have had 14 Toyotas over the years, and never had a breakdown. ( that’s probably jinxed it now! 😀 )
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Was it the new model with the squared off wheel arches as it was a totally new design in 2019 which was the year that they changed model?
I don't recall square wheel arches, so I suspect it would be old style. It was early June we travelled and car had a fair mileage on the clock so I doubt it was new design.
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I don't recall square wheel arches, so I suspect it would be old style. It was early June we travelled and car had a fair mileage on the clock so I doubt it was new design.
That’s a pity I would have welcomed your thoughts on the new one.I’ve had two of the previous model. One petrol and one diesel that I thought would give better MPG. But I was wrong, just about the same as the petrol one, but with the dearer diesel it cost more to run.
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

we had one from alamo in august '18
nice car, but not the best car I've even driven in that category
I would still not hesitate to take one again if one was available in the int suv row

it did the job, but as one poster put it, I did expect a bit much out of it for a holiday car

for my everyday car, it would suit me fine though
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Aero
Helping Minnie

I have a new Rav 4 here, so hope i get one next time i go! Less to worry about
Aero is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
bobcat12
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Good idea. The biggest changes will be the US one will probably be non hybrid and have an eight speed auto box, whereas the U.K. will be hybrid and have a stepless CVT gearbox.
But I’m sur you will enjoy it

I’m looking at changing out my Toyota Corolla Hybrid later this year and the RAV4 is in first place for me.
Mind you I’m a bit like Blackpool rock in that if you cut my head off Toyota would be printed round the inside. Me and my Family have had 14 Toyotas over the years, and never had a breakdown. ( that’s probably jinxed it now! 😀 )
I know this is a bit off topic but I am a big Toyota fan as well! My current car a Toyota Carina TD I bought new and its 22 years old this year! I am happy with it but my kids are telling me it's time to change. I only drive about 3000 miles a year and with all the complexity with diesels hybrid looks to be the best way forward. I did drive the Camry in the 2.5 litre non hybrid form in the USA a few months ago on a 4000 mile trip and it was excellent. Toyota have decided both the RAV4 and Camry are hybrid only here in the uk so it will have to one of those two.