Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jan 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Airmiles experts...

With August flight prices being so high we've booked Virgin Economy classic on the outbound and UC on the inbound, I'm hoping for some decent upgrade prices but if there aren't any then I'm not too worried about the outbound, it's the ability to sleep on the inbound that's worth the £'s to us.

Would we be better off upgrading to Delight for the extra miles or would this make no difference with it being different classes each leg please? The delight upgrades are only £57 at the moment, which I'm thinking is less than buying the 50% extra miles it would be if it was an economy return flight, but I'm not sure how it will work with the separate legs, is it as simple as halving everything?

We're booked as X outbound and Z inbound.

Thank you

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 09:43 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

When we tried to pay to upgrade to Delight from Classic last summer, we were told that it isn't possible on a reward booking, has this changed? If it has, this could be very helpful for us!
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
When we tried to pay to upgrade to Delight from Classic last summer, we were told that it isn't possible on a reward booking, has this changed? If it has, this could be very helpful for us!
No idea I'm afraid, ours is a cash booking so I get the option online when I log in.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
No, that’s still not possible on a reward booking.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Would we be better off upgrading to Delight for the extra miles or would this make no difference with it being different classes each leg please? The delight upgrades are only £57 at the moment, which I'm thinking is less than buying the 50% extra miles it would be if it was an economy return flight, but I'm not sure how it will work with the separate legs, is it as simple as halving everything?

We're booked as X outbound and Z inbound.

Thank you
I think you’ve interpreted it wrong. Apologies if you haven’t but you’ve confused me a bit with your post.
The delight upgrade is just the top tier of economy. So that upgrade price is just for your outbound flight, where you’ll go from economy classic to economy delight. The 50% extra miles is just for that flight (so an extra 2k ish). Obviously you’ll get the extra leg room seats too.
You’ll get the same amount of miles for the upper class return flight no matter what you do on the outbound flight.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
What date in August are you flying out? I think I'd take that into consideration when trying to guess if there might be any upgrades available?

It would make a difference to the miles you earn if you're in delight rather than a classic X fare. In fact, a delight fare (V) earns more than H and K fares in premium.

Personally I'd go for the delight seats for the comfort and extra miles and still keep looking for rewards.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. Sorry for not explaining well.

We’re currently booked classic outbound & UC inbound. There are delight upgrades available for £57 on our outbound, I’m not worried about being in delight (would rather pay for bulk heads) but if they’ll earn extra miles then that’s worth the cost imo.

What I’m not sure of is if it’ll make much difference only being 1 leg, but if it’s an extra 2000 miles for £57 then I’ll go for it.

Old 15 Jan 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. Sorry for not explaining well.

We’re currently booked classic outbound & UC inbound. There are delight upgrades available for £57 on our outbound, I’m not worried about being in delight (would rather pay for bulk heads) but if they’ll earn extra miles then that’s worth the cost imo.

What I’m not sure of is if it’ll make much difference only being 1 leg, but if it’s an extra 2000 miles for £57 then I’ll go for it.
I’m still slightly confused by your logic with the miles. You can buy miles outright for £15 per 1000, or miles booster your flights at £10 per 1000. Upgrading to delight just for the miles makes no sense.
Old 15 Jan 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
I’m still slightly confused by your logic with the miles. You can buy miles outright for £15 per 1000, or miles booster your flights at £10 per 1000. Upgrading to delight just for the miles makes no sense.
That’s pretty much what I’m asking as still quite new to air miles & very, very easily confused by them! We’ll boost the flights also.

Old 15 Jan 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s pretty much what I’m asking as still quite new to air miles & very, very easily confused by them! We’ll boost the flights also.
Oh right gotcha.
In that case, I’ve never bought miles as £15 per 1k is expensive. I’ve boosted a couple of times but only when they have the 30% bonus on top and I needed them for an imminent redemption. You can boost up to 6 months after you’ve flown.
Buying to build up your stash doesn’t work our value for money. Bare in mind you still need to pay taxes and fees on reward flights. Roughly £240 economy, £400 premium, £6/700 upper.
It means if you bought all the miles at £15 per 1000 even the off peak economy flights at 25k would have cost you over £600.
Personally, the only value these days are in saving up for upper redemptions or peak times like summer hols and Xmas/new year. Even then you need to do the math every time.