Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Jan 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Birthday Break to Krakow - 25th Nov 2019 - Jewish Quarter & Travel home KRK-LGW

Day 3

Woke to the alarm at 7.30am. I didn’t particularly want to get up but I was aware we needed to pack all our bits up and try to make the most of our last day here.
I was ready by 9 but Jim had different ideas to me and fell back to sleep . As many on here will know, I’m not one to hang around so went out for a wander on my own.
It was very quiet out in the square, turns out most shops don’t open until 10. Not one to be deterred from a bit of shopping I did find one gift shop open, yippee

It was tiny in here but they did all sorts. Picked up 2 handmade Christmas tree decorations and 3 postcards. 150zl altogether. There were some mini tree decorations that I had my eye on but I couldn’t quite make my mind up so decided I would think about it.

On the way back to the hotel I walked through the Old Market Underground. We had seen it everyday that we'd been here as it's right in the middle of the Main Square. Only a few stalls were open at this time in the morning but I bought 2 magnets from one that was.

I now walked back to the hotel and thankfully Jim was in the shower getting ready. I was all for waking him up by putting my freezing cold hands on him, that would soon get him up

We packed up all our bits and weighed the suitcase which was over again so I logged onto EasyJet and added some extra weight . I’m definitely booking BA next time, the amount we’ve spent on extra luggage would have been the same price as BA, plus we could have gone from Heathrow so a lot closer!
Got there in the end we went to check out and leave our cases in reception.

A random bathroom photo for you. Our hotel bathroom not a random one I found

We had only one thing on our mind now, food!

We were heading for a bakery I had seen on my travels this morning but as we went passed one of the restaurants on the square the guy on the door said they serve breakfast too. Thought it would be nice to sit in an outdoor heated seated area again.

I ordered a hot chocolate and a water then scrambled eggs with bacon and a side of Nutella pancakes.
Jim went with the Full English that came with fried eggs, bacon, frankfurter sausages and beans. He added a side of toast.
Mine wasn’t what I was expecting at all, it was chopped up bits of bacon in cheesy scrambled eggs. Jim’s toast ended up being triangles of a cheese toasty

It was all very good though, especially my pancakes. The server was very friendly too.
We paid up the bill of 205zl then walked towards the Jewish Quarter.

It took about 20 minutes to get there, they are doing tonnes of roadworks with new tram lines going in so we had to negotiate different paths.

When we got to what we thought was Kazimierz it seemed very run down and not a lot there. The buildings are most certainly the original structures but in all honesty it didn’t have a great vibe, felt very run down. In hindsight we should have walked further South and gone to the Schindler Museum but it was just so cold we weren’t really thinking straight.

We turned around and headed back the way we came. We decided to pop back to the Galleria Krakowska as I had seen a huge Carrefour supermarket on their top level and thought I’d find some different chocolate bits for the kids’ stockings.
The walk took about 20 minutes. On the way we were both bursting for the toilet so luckily found a public restroom in the park. I have to say for a public loo these were lovely and spotlessly clean! They cost 1zl to enter so about 20p.
Now that we weren’t bouncing around bursting for the loo we made our way to Carrefour.

They had loads of different Christmas chocolate on display so I went to town, Jim was losing the will to live so went to wait outside . I also bought this musical Christmas tree which was only about £8.

We now headed back to the hotel. Spotted a Flying Tiger (not an actual one of course!) on the way so stopped in there to pick up some battery powered fairy lights and some candy canes to go on the tree.

In the Main Square there was a flower stall that I had spotted earlier selling these lovely fake flower wreaths. I bought one for my Mum as a thank you, I’d also bought Dad some chocolate.

Once back at the hotel I repacked the case with the extra bits I’d bought, very glad I added on a bit more weight than originally needed
Once done we popped over the square to one of the outdoor bars to have a drink.

Just a Pepsi Max for me and a cappuccino for Jim. I got snuggled under one of the blankets they provide you for extra warmth. Even sitting right next to the heater I was still cold!
We stayed for about an hour just chatting and watching the world go by then thought we could wait in the hotel reception as it would be decidedly warmer!
Before we did that though I made my mind up on the small Xmas decorations I had seen this morning and decided I simply couldn’t not buy them
Only a 10 minute detour, I picked up 15 of them for the twigs I have in the living room. They were only 5zl each so 75zl altogether

It was about 3.45 now so we had an hour just chilling back in the warmth of the hotel before the taxi came to pick us up.

View of the Main Square from the hotel reception

In hindsight we should have booked an earlier flight home as I feel we wasted the day really. With the cold and hitting a wall with tiredness we just wanted to get home to the kids.
At exactly 4.45 the taxi driver turned up. Not the same guy as the other day, we think it was the owner of the company. He spent the ENTIRE journey back to the airport on the phone to his wife. Obviously not speaking the language we were trying to get the gist of the conversation, we think they were having some kind of marital dispute. Whatever it was it was bloody rude

Pulled up outside Krakow Airport at 5.15pm. Turns out EasyJet don’t open their desks until exactly 2 hours before so had 30 minutes to kill until 5.45. Bonus was we were first in our queue. At 5.40 3 agents came along to set up but only 2 desks opened. You can guess which one didn’t, yep ours! Our agent then sauntered off . She eventually came back and we bag dropped having already checked in.
She then gave us the miserable news that the flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Oh well not much we could do.
We went upstairs to Security which was thankfully quiet so we were straight through.
My cabin case was pulled to the side, turns out it was the 2 candles which I forgot they don’t come out clearly on the scanners. All very simple the officer just took them out and rescanned it.

Once done all thoughts turned to food. Our breakfast seemed a long time ago!
The only restaurant in the terminal is an Italian. You seat yourself and order up at the bar. We both went with the Lasagne and a Coke Zero, I also ordered a large bottle of water. 140zl altogether
Didn’t take long to come out and was surprisingly nice for airport food.

We chilled at the table for a bit then went for a wander round Duty Free. I just bought the kids a bar of Toblerone each and 2 bags of mini Dime bars.
After a quick loo break we went to the gate. We had to go through a type of passport control to get to the gate which was all a bit odd. By the time we got there the flight was boarding so we got in line.
The agent checking the boarding passes said I had to check my cabin case in the hold. As we were one of the first getting in line I knew the overhead space wouldn’t be full so I had no intention of handing over the case to the baggage handlers before getting on the plane. I apologise I know that comes across very arrogant but this has happened so many times and every single time there has always been plenty of space and today was no exception. I had breakables in there so didn’t want to risk putting in the hold, I’ve seen how the baggage handlers fling suitcases onto the conveyor belt!
We had to board a bus first then waited an age for it to fill up. Eventually got going and boarded the plane by the rear stairs. Like I said there was plenty of space overhead.
We settled in and I put on another episode of The Crown, really getting into it now.

The flight was fine, 2hrs 15 we landed at 9.35 UK time. Took awhile to taxi to the gate which must have been the furthest one from the terminal as it took about 15 minutes to walk to Passport Control!
No queue at the e-gates we were straight through and after a quick wee our suitcase was already out.
Called Purple Parking who said our car was ready and waiting for us where we left it in the Sofitel car park. Jim got some cash out to pay for the valet on the way.

All very quick and easy we loaded up and were on our way at about 10.20.
Unfortunately they had shut the M3 from J2 to J1 so had to go up to Junction 13 of the M25 and go down the A30 instead. Finally got home at 11.05 so not too bad.
Very pleased to be home, the dog was extremely excited which was a lovely welcome.

Overall we had a wonderful time in Krakow. I feel with a bit more planning we could have seen more of the city but we were both so busy in the run up it just didn’t happen, plus we were both exhausted so took it at a slower pace for the weekend. It really is a beautiful city and I would definitely go back, probably when it’s warmer though!

Thank you to everyone who has read along to my ramblings

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
They don’t seem to have got very far with those roadworks ! Our hotel was in Kazimierz and the roadworks ran right passed it. It did look a bit run down but I quite liked that. There were some nice little squares and restaurants down the side streets. Did you not treat yourself to something from Bath and Bodyworks in the Galeria Krakowska ?

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I am sure we will visit Krakow again.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s nice to see how Krakow has progressed since I travelled there 17 years ago when the only flight was a LOT one from Gatwick!
I would love to go back again with DH but I’m glad you mentioned the tram line works as I think we will wait a bit now.
Those Christmas decorations are beautiful.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The little Christmas decorations you went back for look lovely. It does seem that the cold got to you on the last day, but still nice to soak up a bit of the atmosphere and watch the world go by.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
They don’t seem to have got very far with those roadworks ! Our hotel was in Kazimierz and the roadworks ran right passed it. It did look a bit run down but I quite liked that. There were some nice little squares and restaurants down the side streets. Did you not treat yourself to something from Bath and Bodyworks in the Galeria Krakowska ?

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I am sure we will visit Krakow again.
It looks like they will take some time to finish these roadworks, will look amazing once done though. I really wish we had explored more of the area as we certainly didn't do it justice. Definitely need to go back when it's warmer!
Oh I went to town in Bath and Bodyworks on our first day
Thank you for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
tracynoe
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Great trip report.
I’ve only just discovered you and have been to Yosemite, Las Vegas , Death Valley, Grand Canyon and now Krakow with you in a couple of days :-)
tracynoe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tracynoe View Post
Great trip report.
I’ve only just discovered you and have been to Yosemite, Las Vegas , Death Valley, Grand Canyon and now Krakow with you in a couple of days :-)
Thank you so much for reading. We have been so fortunate to of travelled to some amazing places in the last couple of years! I really love exploring new places

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 7 May 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tracynoe
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you so much for reading. We have been so fortunate to of travelled to some amazing places in the last couple of years! I really love exploring new places
Apart from krakow we’ve been to the same places. It’s so interesting to see how people experience the same places so differently. You totally blew us out of the water in Yosemite. Made me want to go back and have another shot at it 😀
tracynoe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List