Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

VERY short connection time in JFK

So just got an email saying that our connection time in JFK is now around 1 hour.
We are traveling with Delta from Shannon to JKF then onwards to TPA originally we had a two hour time frame but its now been changed to an hour.
We will have pre cleared immigration in the Shannon, our luggage is booked all the way through, currently we land at terminal 4 and fly out from there. Obviously no one knows what the weather might hold or other unforeseen delays but assuming all does to plan any reason I cant step off one plane and step on to another
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had a schedule change with Delta in 2018 which did not meet mct at JFK. I researched before I rang them and they changed our flight without issue- was much, much better for us.

An hour may be ok as you don't need to go through immigration but any delays on first flight would obviously reduce that time.

Not long enough for me

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you, I had a look at the flight history of Shannon to JKF and its pretty good in terms of punctuality if anything it arrives early. We had a terrible time a few years ago when we were due to land in PHL and there was a massive thunder storm we were diverted to Up state New York and eventually got to PHL at 1 in the Morning and slept overnight in the airport.
Looking at the Delta time table if we were to miss this flight the next one is 20.39 so a 5 and a half hour difference.
Assuming it all goes to plan am I missing anything in terms of walking off and just reboarding
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
TowerOfTerror88
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

You'll be fine! You will literally get off the plane and be at the gates to take off again! No security to go through. As long as first flight isn't delayed you'll be fine :-)
TowerOfTerror88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Fingers and toes crossed for no delays thank you all for your replies
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

You might make the plane, but will your luggage? Personally, I like 2/3 hrs, but each to there own. I just can't stand the stress if the plane is delayed etc.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
You might make the plane, but will your luggage? Personally, I like 2/3 hrs, but each to there own. I just can't stand the stress if the plane is delayed etc.
Yes I was thinking that too I suppose if I reach my villa and luggage is delivered the following day (I am just under an hour from Tampa )I think I'd rather just get there than wait 5 hours on the way out. We have a 5 hour connection on the way back which I'm happy with as its a nice meal and sort of wind down time
I do like 2 hours plus even with the advantage of pre clearance out of Ireland 2 hours is a nice time frame
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Assuming it all goes to plan am I missing anything in terms of walking off and just reboarding
It’s possible the JFK-TPA flight will go from T2, Delta switches domestic flights between T4 and T2 quite a lot, and the change could even happen on the day. Check the screens on arrival, it will also update in the Delta app, if you have it.

You can get from T4 to T2 airside via a dedicated Delta bus, avoiding the need to reclear security. Obviously that would make the connection a bit tighter, but you should still make it fine if the long haul flight is on time. If the domestic goes from T4, you would just walk to the next gate.

Your checked baggage would probably make it on a 1 hour connection, but would be prudent to keep enough stuff to get you through the first 24-48 hours in hand luggage.

Edited at 11:16 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks Peko very good advise so I think we should be ok IF the inbound arrives on time. I never really thought how useful pre clearance is until now
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Mobile

As you will have cleared immigration you should be ok (not sure about luggage - but we found the airport very efficient after immigration) - however is there a later flight that day - just in case?

The travel between T4 and T2 took us 15 mins - this was at 7pm ish at night, but was straight forward.