Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jan 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

THAT many baby formula bottles in hold luggage?

Hello all,
We are taking our baby in about 6 weeks' time (woohoo!) and I've just been figuring out what we need to pack. She will be 7 months old then and we have started solids but she's still getting most of her nutrition from baby milk. We have always used the readymade liquid, not the power, for various reasons. It's cow & gate so not available in the US.

I know that in principle it's fine to take milk in hold luggage if declared, but I figured out that for 10 days we're going to need like 60 mini 200ml bottles. Can't take bigger ones as they won't last more than 2 hours once opened out of the fridge.

Is 60 mini bottles of formula going to raise concerns that I'm taking it in to sell or something? I know foreign exported formula is a big issue in the US but it's genuinely for her, she's just a very hungry baby!

Has anyone had this situation before? was it ok? I did check and saw lots of threads about formula on the plane but not about hold luggage...

(we're also going to need like 33 baby food pouches but assuming fine as long as meat free)
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Greenapple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We flew to Miami to visit family when our son was 9 months. I packed about 15 of the pre made 200ml in my hold luggage. I didn’t think to declare it and nothing was said. They are so handy when out and about!
Sept 2001 - Orlando iDrive & NYC *** November 2011 - WDW & Villa *** March 2014 & March 2015 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge *** May 2016 - DisneyCruiseLine - Fantasy Westbound Caribbean & Universal Studios *** Nov 2018 - Miami & WDW *** Apr 2022 - DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & Orlando
Greenapple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Gosh that’s a lot of ready made bottles. Have you tried the cow and gate powder formula? Both mine used both. I think we packed about 10 on hold luggage and just for flight home. 60 will be weighty that’s for sure. What if the hold luggage is lost as well. I would maybe if you can, try and get them used to the powder and pack a few of them over two hold bags? They won’t be as heavy you see.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
Gosh that’s a lot of ready made bottles. Have you tried the cow and gate powder formula? Both mine used both. I think we packed about 10 on hold luggage and just for flight home. 60 will be weighty that’s for sure. What if the hold luggage is lost as well. I would maybe if you can, try and get them used to the powder and pack a few of them over two hold bags? They won’t be as heavy you see.
Thanks,I know what you are saying but we are flying upper so have lots of spare baggage allowance so weight not an issue. I really don’t want to have to start fiddling around with powder and boiling water in the middle of the parks - ready made is so easy!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

60 does feel a lot for 10 days, especially if you’ve started weening as well. I took 25 for a 5 day trip in this country, (but she wasn’t a terribly hungry baby,) when my DD was just under 6 months, and I started weening her straight after the trip.

But I’d rather be safe than sorry and have more than enough in case something goes wrong. Maybe pack a couple days worth in hand luggage. You can always get them delivered to Boots airside, if you order on Boots.com, then there’s less stress about security.

Personally, although I’ve not done it myself, if she needs 6 feeds per day, and you’re going for 10 days, then 60 bottles shouldn’t raise any eyebrows. You wouldn’t be the first and certainly not the last.

I’m also with you on the powder, I’d use it at home, but out and about it was the RTD every time, just couldn’t be doing with the stress.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That will be fine as there is not a restriction in hold luggage. We took about 50 with my grandson and a box of powder and still ran out, so I suggest you bring more if you think you will need them, because the colour of the baby milk over there is different and you cannot get the UK ones.
We also took 10 in handluggage for the flight etc. Handluggage just needs to be reasonable for the flight plus contingency.

And don't forget bottles for the return flight.

Edited at 12:22 AM.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As mentioned above by legallyblonde we put them across our cases incase we lost one.
We also brough a couple of small alu flasks from walmart, one for hot one for cold water for mixing the powder formula and making them up when we were out and getting short of the bottles.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
That will be fine as there is not a restriction in hold luggage. We took about 50 with my grandson and a box of powder and still ran out, so I suggest you bring more if you think you will need them, because the colour of the baby milk over there is different and you cannot get the UK ones.
We also took 10 in handluggage for the flight etc. Handluggage just needs to be reasonable for the flight plus contingency.

And don't forget bottles for the return flight.
Thank you this is so helpful!