Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Those of you that have drives

So I might have mentioned the nightmare parking where I live. We have new neighbours renting Nextdoor recently moved in. Since they moved in the started parking behind me which is tight due to a neighbour with a drive at the opposite side who if you even breathe on his drive he goes nuts!
So I’ve started to move up as far as I can bearing in mind my neighbour at the other side parks and the knock on effect of moving up too far.
But suddenly the neighbour has got closer and closer to my car (see photo) now to me if that was how close I would be to another car I wouldn’t park there

But last night he went one better (if that’s possible. He actually hit my car and has marked it. He doesn’t speak a word of English and just gestures to me that it was the number plate that did it - oh that’s ok then!
Anyway on Saturday a neighbour had someone round to quote a drive and dh asked them to come and look at ours. He did the measuring up etc explained what would be done and quoted £3500ish. It was all singing all dancing block paved with edge stones etc. But tbh that’s not what we would want no one on here has that they literally have dropped kerb and tarmac drives etc. Anyway I asked re contacting the council for the kerb being dropped and he said no need. Not a high kerb garden slopes up etc and no one will park there cos you have a drive. He clearly doesn’t understand the concept of why people round here NEED a drive because I would bet my years wage that on here i you had a drive but no drop kerb people would park there for the sheer fun of it!
But just wondering about others who have drives have any of you got a drive but no drop kerb or have you heard of this? He said he knows someone on the council and you don’t need to.

Edited at 07:30 AM.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have seen all types of weird and wonderful ideas to save having a dropped kerb

Angled metal 'triangles' to drive over, lengths of wood in the gutter and even piles of gravel!

All causing a danger to those walking and also blocking gutter drainage. I think your contractor is talking nonsense sadly. The dropped kerb concept is to save damage to the kerb line and car(s). It's to clearly highlight the fact that drive entrance/exit is present and finally it gives an exemption in law to driving on the footpath which you are doing if a dropped kerb isn't present.

My Council has a list of Contractors it has approved to carry out this function but you have to pay for the application. I think mine was circa £185 ish.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have seen all types of weird and wonderful ideas to save having a dropped kerb

Angled metal 'triangles' to drive over, lengths of wood in the gutter and even piles of gravel!

All causing a danger to those walking and also blocking gutter drainage. I think your contractor is talking nonsense sadly. The dropped kerb concept is to save damage to the kerb line and car(s). It's to clearly highlight the fact that drive entrance/exit is present and finally it gives an exemption in law to driving on the footpath which you are doing if a dropped kerb isn't present.

My Council has a list of Contractors it has approved to carry out this function but you have to pay for the application. I think mine was circa £185 ish.
Yeah my mum and dad had theirs done quite a few years back along with their 2 neighbours. In actual fact they didn’t pay for their dropped kerb because of the angle of the neighbours on either side the man who did it said it was actually pointless leaving the tiny bit outside of theirs “not dropped” that he did it right across the 3 houses and told my mum and dad that they’d got a freebie drive if they wanted so they knocked down the wall and got someone in to do the drive.
The guy said Saturday anyone parking there after we had a drive done was “a bit cheeky” and clearly asking for an argument but I thought that was ridiculous because they would have every right to park there as it was a normal path and quite legal to park there.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
TheRobsters
Getting Excited

We are in a very similar situation to you as well, with people going round in circles looking for parking, we live by a train station and but also on the border of a residents parking scheme so this is the only free parking available.

We have looked into the option of having a driveway replace our front garden to avoid the same scenarios. Our neighbour has recently had his front garden turned in to a driveway and they haven’t had the kerb dropped. Strangely the kerb outside his seems to be quite shallow and the contractor advised that he could get away without changing it.

So although the kerb isn’t dropped and there are no white lines I haven’t seen anyone park there, although sometimes the gap that is left between 2 parked cars is rather tight.

Edited at 07:50 AM.
TheRobsters is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TheRobsters View Post
We are in a very similar situation to you as well, with people going round in circles looking for parking, we live by a train station and but also on the border of a residents parking scheme so this is the only free parking available.

We have looked into the option of having a driveway replace our front garden to avoid the same scenarios. Our neighbour has recently had his front garden turned in to a driveway and they haven’t had the kerb dropped. Strangely the kerb outside his seems to be quite shallow and the contractor advised that he could get away without changing it.

So although the kerb isn’t dropped and there are no white lines I haven’t seen anyone park there, although sometimes the gap that is left between 2 parked cars is rather tight.
I’ve just been discussing it with my hubby after Mr Toms post above. The contractor did say about it not being a very high kerb but as Mr Tom says the thing is us constantly driving over the kerb to get to our drive can’t be overly good for the car but also would be damaging for the flags and then say someone fell and hurt themselves would that not be our fault for not getting it done properly. As for people not parking there maybe you have more considerate neighbours but on here without a shadow of a doubt they would park there and I wouldn’t be able to do a thing to stop them.
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I wouldn't have a drive put in without having the kerb dropped regardless how low the kerb is. I am very surprised that the contractor is even suggesting not to bother having a dropped kerb. £3.5k sounds reasonable even for a small blocked drive.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I wouldn't have a drive put in without having the kerb dropped regardless how low the kerb is. I am very surprised that the contractor is even suggesting not to bother having a dropped kerb. £3.5k sounds reasonable even for a small blocked drive.
Well my parents paid 1k years ago and theirs is literally tarmac - hardcore then tarmac. Tbh that’s literally all I’d want. It’s for practical reasons not cosmetic so the cheaper the better. For these what has put me off is this reasoning for no dropped kerb. I thought it was rubbish when he said it.
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post

The people opposite to us re did their drive as the lady became disabled and couldn’t walk up a slope (we live on a hill). They spent £30k on their drive to dig it out brick it all and put stairs with railings in. After the drive was done they approached the council to extend the drop kerb all the way across the drive and it got denied. They now have constant issues of people parking accords their drive either blocking her car in or preventing her access to it.

If you go for a driveway you need a dropped kerb but make sure you get permission before you start your driveway.

Edited at 08:32 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve just moved and we have a driveway with dropped kerb (every house we’ve owned has had a dropped kerb and driveway, we wouldn’t buy a house without tbh).
We now live in a small road with some houses having driveways and others parking on the road. There are a couple who have had driveways put in, but not added a dropped kerb. Nobody parks over their drives from what I’ve seen, but, most people have lived here a long time and seem to know parking etiquette.
Personally, I wouldn’t park over an obvious driveway even with no dropped kerb, but equally, I wouldn’t have one myself as I know it could cause issues as not everyone thinks the same way.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

We had a kerb dropped by an approved contractor 10 years ago at our last home, the drive was already there. The cost was about £3K and the council then came out and lined across the drive to help prevent parking and this did work well.

Beware of doing something in half measure which could prove a problem if you need to move house, I would say do it right or dont do it.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List