Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 23 Jan 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Accessing US only websites in the UK

What does everyone use (FREE!) to access US websites that otherwise divert you to the UK version when it checks your location services (i.e Amercrombie.com re-routes to UK one)

I used to use a few random sites (hide my ass etc) which now seem to be chargeable, a few free ones I found don't work as they just don't seem to load the website (could be to do with my provider blocking it, Sky) and for a while now (maybe 18 months) I have been using the free facility within the Opera browser, but they seem to have updated it and it isn't working correctly at the moment as even though it's set to US it all their VPNs are set up with French IP's so everything is re-routing me to the .fr equivalent sites.

TIA
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Use google chrome!

They have a free app to download onto chrome itself that allows you to access American sites without being there. The app is called "VPN Hola" Its logo is a little smiley face flame

Sometimes it will still block it but I have only encountered that problem once!

Good luck
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KymmieAKiss View Post
Use google chrome!

They have a free app to download onto chrome itself that allows you to access American sites without being there. The app is called "VPN Hola" Its logo is a little smiley face flame

Good luck
ahhh why thank you! I didn't realise Chrome also had the facility (I run a Mac at home so have Safari!) I will download Chrome tonight and put the app on and hopefully it will work just fine for me. Thank you
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
You're welcome!
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Hola isn't Chrome itself but an extension. It's slow but works. I use IP Vanish but it's paid. Worth it though as I get over 30 meg through it.
Old 23 Jan 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Hola isn't Chrome itself but an extension. It's slow but works. I use IP Vanish but it's paid. Worth it though as I get over 30 meg through it.
I will give it ago tonight and see if it works. The one on Opera was brilliant before, it wasn't slow and I didn't have any issues. It's a shame they changed it - I susspect they will fix it at some point but not sure when!

I only want it to order a few bits & bats for my impending visit, so don't really want to pay for a service if I can help it!
Old 23 Jan 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I will give it ago tonight and see if it works. The one on Opera was brilliant before, it wasn't slow and I didn't have any issues. It's a shame they changed it - I susspect they will fix it at some point but not sure when!

I only want it to order a few bits & bats for my impending visit, so don't really want to pay for a service if I can help it!
You can get free trials on a lot (or just for a few quid) if hola is too slow. Good luck.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You can get free trials on a lot (or just for a few quid) if hola is too slow. Good luck.
Didn't get chance to sort it last night (blasted kids & housework ) but will have a look at any free trials or don't mind paying a few quid if I don't get on with Hola.

Thank you YorkshireT

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KymmieAKiss View Post
Use google chrome!

Good luck
Thanks for this - but how do you turn it on / off?
Can you choose country?

For example can I tell it i want the net to think am in US to view US web sites, but then turn it off to view UK ones?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

I use Hola too - it's brilliant.

You click on the little flame on the side of the window and it will give you a list of countries to select from, so you choose US when you want to watch US sites, but when you want to watch UK sites, you just click again and select UK.
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List