Notices

Old 23 Jan 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile New York surprise-our boy is 21 !

This trip was booked on a bit of a whim which really isn’t like me ! Our son William will be 21 in February. He really isn’t in to “stuff” so the best plan was to go away somewhere. I hate surprises but have been convinced by husband not to tell either him or his sister ( she wouldn’t keep quiet !) until the morning we go. Obviously he knows he is going away to book a week off work, we have told him it will be cold ( he probably doesn’t realise how cold !) So he will open his birthday present in the morning and off we go !

Chose New York because he has always loved Spiderman and Home Alone movies. We had also brought $700 home from Florida last year which was a big help with spends.

Think we have a good deal but I have realised just how expensive NY is.

Flights with Virgin MAN to JFK landing at 1.30pm at £293 economy classic booked via Netfights. Wary of booking via third party but good up to now.

We are all in work/school so won’t be able to set off to the premier inn Manchester Runger North until at least 7. Room booked for £36.50.

Friday morning will be Happy Birthday and straight off to the airport. Parking booked at Terminal 2 multi storey 6 nights for
£52. Booked undercover due to going in February. Will probably eat at Frankie and Bennys.

We hopefully ( barring any weather delays) will land at 1.30 and we will brave the airtrain to Jamaica and then metro to Penn Station.

Staying in a junior suite at the Broadway Plaza. Chosen primarily because I have read good Dibb reports, the rooms appear large by NY standards and there are 3 separate beds. We don’t plan on being in the hotel much and although not ideal we don’t find sharing an issue.
[

The rooms seem quite spacious

The hotel also provides a free basic continental breakfast and 24 hour Starbucks. I will take porridge pots with us to supplement the breakfast.

I have already purchased a 10 attraction Sightseeing Pass for $175 each. Personally I think it is too many but husbands choice and he has never shown any interest in planning/ booking a holiday before so I have given in.

Empire State Building booked just before the Sightseeing Pass stopped accepting it. Hoping to do this on the first evening in his birthday.

Arranged a guide from Big Apple Greeters for our first morning. A bit nervous to be honest. We are quite a quiet reserved family and I hope it goes ok.

Second day I have the Statue of Liberty Crown tickets booked. I had intended losing weight to help with the climb up those stairs but it doesn’t seem to have happened !

Have the Ulmon app which I have found amazing for the planning. With going in the winter I have arranged things in to areas and will decide on the day what we are doing depending on the weather.

All I need to do now is stock up on the thermals and hand warmers !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Wow, sounds amazing. I'm sure your son and daughter will be thrilled. Have a great time
Old 23 Jan 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thermals are key It will be fabulous!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Yay, another NY pre trippie

How exciting for your son, not that he knows it yet You got a good price on flights. The one's I booked for MIL, before I decided on our trip were £342 for November.

The rooms look a great size for NY, hopefully enough space for all of you. I looked at the airtrain/subway, but Rich is adamant we have to use a NY cab, as he doesn't feel he's arrived otherwise! I think we will buy a metro pass for the subway this time as it will be colder and I'm hoping not to walk as far as we did last time.

I've always wanted to do the Big Apple Greater, I know they get great reviews on here. Looking forward to reading your trip report about it. I've been trying to lose weight before our trip too(obviously so I can pile it all back on with the hundred's of restaurants I want to visit!). But I've failed dismally so far. I suppose my blubber will help to keep the heat in during the cold weather! If you're passing a Home Bargains I saw hand warmers(the disposable t bag like ones) for 69p yesterday. I've got a stash at home already to take with us.

Have a great trip, hopefully I can pass on some good restaurants before you leave
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Fair point about the blubber keeping me warm ha ha. Yes I need a trip to Homebargains for the hand warmers thank you. I also need to stock up on snacks for the hotel. That would be great about the restaurants if you find somewhere you could recommend. We won’t be eating high end !
If it is a bad journey there we may end up in a cab ourselves.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Just arrived, even managed the subway despite a couple of hiccups !
Thank you to the dibbers who recommended the Broadway Plaza. We love it !
Old 15 Feb 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Have a fab trip!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Have a fab trip!
Thank you
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Have a fab trip. My daughter goes today.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

What an exciting 21st present! Have a great time!