Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Hills prescription Dental diet food - Cats

So my 2 need their teeth cleaned and the vet recommended the above food. I have gradually swapped their food over and I weigh out their food in accordance with the back of the packet.
My male cat has put 0.8kg knocking over 7kg in total now in a month of being on this food!
His weight was 6.4kg and the vet didn’t want him getting any bigger.
Has anyone else experience this? I’m now going to have to lower slowly what he gets and hopes he loses the weight. I am also going to give the vets a call tomorrow. I’m just shocked his out in so much in such a little amount of time. 😬
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Just because the food is prescribed doesnt mean it’s actually better for your pet. Check to see the nutritional breakdown of the food and find another food that has a similar breakdown. My vets tried to prescribed to Hills to my older dog for weight loss/protein content and were taken aback when I refused and showed them that the current food was better for him nutritionally
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
Just because the food is prescribed doesnt mean it’s actually better for your pet. Check to see the nutritional breakdown of the food and find another food that has a similar breakdown. My vets tried to prescribed to Hills to my older dog for weight loss/protein content and were taken aback when I refused and showed them that the current food was better for him nutritionally
The reason I was advised this was the biscuits are bigger which slows his eating down and the vet said he should feel fuller as my cat steals food from us and raids our bins, along with the fact it’s meant to help keep their teeth clean. I will have a look at the nutritional values and compare to his last food though, thanks.
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
FLA88
Proud to wear my Ears

Our last cat used to have Hills TD and seemed to like it a bit too much! We didn't use it as his main food but just a certain amount each day to help clean his teeth.

I do agree with the previous poster that the content of some of the prescription food isn't necessarily what you would want to ideally feed your pet.
FLA88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My cats on Hills digestion but the ingredients on the back are way worse than what we were giving him before. The vet wasnt very helpful when I asked for alternatives. I even brought packets in. She said it was hard to tell so I'm not convinced about the food. Plus it's very expensive!
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
BelfastFly
Getting Excited

vets are useless when it comes to cat food. My two were put on royal cabin gastro because of their bad stomachs. I went back to the vet a month later and I asked what's a good food to move on to and she just said to keep them on it forever!

Unfortunately you're on your own research wise, vets only recommend what they have in stock. They only want their sales.

Edited at 09:43 AM.
BelfastFly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

Ours have the non prescription oral care Science Plan food and love it.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks all. I did a little research last night and compared the Hills food to the light iams he was on before and the hills have 7% more fat in it, than iams. Because my cat had weight concerns before the vet told me to just him both the cats on the hills because then I know I’m feeding him the right food. I think once the hills food has gone I will switch both cats back to iams again.