Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 22 Aug 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jovanst
Dancing with Tink'

Mobile Upgraded magic bands

Hi all
Excuse my ignorance. I keep reading about people trying to obtain upgraded magic bands?
We are staying at the All Stars next March. Would it be worth getting upgraded bands? How much does this cost and what are the benefits? Many thanks
jovanst is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by jovanst View Post
Hi all
Excuse my ignorance. I keep reading about people trying to obtain upgraded magic bands?
We are staying at the All Stars next March. Would it be worth getting upgraded bands? How much does this cost and what are the benefits? Many thanks
Assuming you have linked your reservation to your MyDisneyExperience account, you can go online and "personalise" the MagicBands you'll get when you check in. As well as adding your name on the back, this used to mean selecting a solid colour of your MagicBand from a selection of about half a dozen different colours.

Now, Disney also allows you to also select from a limited (and constantly changing) selection of patterned and decorated MagicBands. This is what is meant by "upgrading" your MagicBand. If you do select one of these decorated bands it will generally cost $10 - although the price can vary with the design and I have seen one or two cost $15.

Is it worth it? It depends on whether you want a patterned or decorated MagicBand or are happy with a solid coloured one. If you want a MagicBand with, say, Mickey Mouse on it then the $10 upgrade cost isn't much and is cheaper than buying it in the shops when in Disneyworld. So you might think it's worth it.

However, all of the MagicBands do exactly the same thing so you don't get any functional benefit from the upgraded ones; they just look 'nicer'.

To give you an idea, in the image below the MagicBand in the top left is a standard MagicBand you can get for "free" whereas the other three are examples of upgraded MagicBands that you can pay to get:

The designs seem to change on a daily basis. The ones shown above may not be available when you look.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jovanst
Dancing with Tink'

Mobile

That's fantastic. Thanks so much for explaining.
jovanst is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jovanst View Post
That's fantastic. Thanks so much for explaining.
It was a good explanation, but in practice it is extremely difficult to upgrade a magic band. People have been trying with no luck or months. I managed to get some the day they were first released but then I added another reservation and tried again, I don't know ten times a day for six weeks, have finally decided to give up.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
It was a good explanation, but in practice it is extremely difficult to upgrade a magic band. People have been trying with no luck or months. I managed to get some the day they were first released but then I added another reservation and tried again, I don't know ten times a day for six weeks, have finally decided to give up.
I thought I might mention that but didn’t want to complicate things.

Also, they’re going next March so perhaps in the next 6 months Disney will have sorted things out. We can but hope.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
EmmaBolan
Apprentice Imagineer

Just a tip, if it doesn't work first time (i.e. you actually getting to the payment page) keep trying! It has taken us months to actually get that far and finally at nearly 60 days to go we managed it

I prefer to have a patterned/picture one rather than plain! I got this one, only cost me $10 to upgrade whereas it would have cost me $25 in the parks

EmmaBolan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMermaid
Excited about Disney

Upgrading, or attempting to, is doing my head in.
Anytime I go to add the ones my party want they’re out of stock.

Does anyone know if you can modify the choices after you’ve made it actually?
For example, instead of waiting for all four of ours to come up at the same time, could we instead set three peoples to a solid colour, buy one patterned then do that again when the next persons became available?
Hopefully I explained that okay 😅
MinnieMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MinnieMermaid View Post
Upgrading, or attempting to, is doing my head in.
Anytime I go to add the ones my party want they’re out of stock.

Does anyone know if you can modify the choices after you’ve made it actually?
For example, instead of waiting for all four of ours to come up at the same time, could we instead set three peoples to a solid colour, buy one patterned then do that again when the next persons became available?
Hopefully I explained that okay 😅
No you can’t do that, it will lock your choices in.

I recently selected two solid colours as “back up” for our first stay in September and even those seem to be locked in now. I plan to waste no further time on it. The process is a shambles.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMermaid
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
No you can’t do that, it will lock your choices in.

I recently selected two solid colours as “back up” for our first stay in September and even those seem to be locked in now. I plan to waste no further time on it. The process is a shambles.
Ah dammit, I was fearing that.

Well, I'll continue to try - I've only got 10 days left to try so might as well continue
MinnieMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I've just gone to upgrade ours to patterned ones for next May, theres one my other half will love but none I'm fussed on. Could I buy his now & then mine when one I like comes up?
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List