Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Exchange rate - at what point do you not go ?

I have booked accom, pass and free dining for next August and paid £150 non refundable deposit, we will book flights at some point after Xmas. However I am trying to decide at what point does the currency need to drop to for me to cancel and not go.

I certainly would not go at £1 = $1 I will probably cancel at anything below £1 = $1.10 and maybe even at say £1 = $1.16.

I have been going to the US most years since 1992 often multiple times and had such great rates as $2.12 in 2007 which was handy as that was our wedding and I generally have hoped to get $1.5.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Never

For me, the holiday, the planning, the experience, is a never repeatable life event (at that time), far greater than a ‘rate of exchange’.

Disney332

Edited at 08:28 AM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd never not go due to exchange rate! It's not a cheap holiday anyway but a few more pounds here and there won't really stop me. I love holidaying in USA and will continue to go whatever the exchange rate. If you wait for the good old days of $2 to £1 you will be waiting a long long time I'm afraid and my motto is that life is too short to wait as you never know what is waiting around the corner.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Depends how much you spend. We buy U.K. tickets, stay in DVC at Disney and buy largely counter service meals and get shopping in via Instacart. We refuse to buy much alcohol at $10 a beer, instead getting some in from the supermarket. We buy no souvenirs (read tat). Essentially it doesn’t make much difference to us. We find after all these trips we are not interested in spending on table service meals (average at best and massively overpriced in the main) or spending huge sums shopping. We just go to enjoy the resorts and the parks, and spend just over $120 a day in total for 4 on our last trip.

So difference between a 1.10 and 1.40 makes little difference.

I think the difference is, if it was ever back at 1.80+ you suddenly do start thinking you’ll buy more, don’t care about overpriced restaurants etc.

However due to the disparity growth in the economies (GDP per household in the US is now 20k pa more than us, low wage growth has knackered us) I can’t see us hitting 1.80 again with a telescope, even if we got the best Brexit deal known to human kind.

Edited at 08:41 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Never

For me, the holiday, the planning, the experience, is a never repeatable life event (at that time), far greater than a ‘rate of exchange’.

Disney332
I get this but there are other places to go that offer better value. I hate missing on a state’s holiday but not at any price. I am sure everyone does have a cut off point I mean if the £ was at 50c for instances.

I am not waiting for the $2 days but really want $1.25 plus
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Having paid for flights, villa, car and tickets the only foreign exchange exposure I will have is for spending money - the value of the exposure not being enough to warrant cancelling.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
elle10
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My £10k holiday in 2017 based on exchange rates alone would cost roughly £11.8k today.
I’d rather adjust my holiday spends (easily done) than not go. But also happy to spend the extra £1,800.
elle10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

With my health I'm making the most of my Disney trips as anything could happen and each trip could be my last holiday. So the exchange rate doesn't matter to me.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don’t go to Florida because it’s the best value for money. I go because that’s where I want to spend my holiday time. The exchange rate is irrelevant to me choosing that destination. Now it may be that at some point the exchange rate is so bad that the cost of hotels, car hire etc is getting too high for me to realistically afford but if I book with free dining then any spends are for souvenirs mainly so I can still go and have a great holiday and eat well. I’d just buy less stuff.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

I am keeping an eye on the exchange rate and top up my Revolut card so protecting some of my spending money for next summer already.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List