Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jun 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
I think about you and your family often, I know it sounds crazy but I do.

My DD is 14 and since her older sister died I have been worried about her eating (or lack of) and her lack of self esteem.

I’m pretty new to this part of the Dibb but I need to tell you that your recent posts have helped raise an awareness in me that might have not been there had I not read your updates...

I am keeping a close eye on her eating, trying to encourage extra calories here and there. She has a great counsellor too...

I send my best wishes to you and your family and I hope you can see what a great job you are doing in supporting your daughter.

Ali x
Hi Ali

Thank you for your kind words . If anything helpful comes out from my ramblings then that’s a great by product
Of course your daughter is going to be profoundly affected by the devastating loss of her sister and given the nature of the tragedy , only natural that a struggle with food might ensue
I wish we had recognised Emma’s issues earlier so well done for keeping on top of it . I hope you are getting regular feedback from her counselling as that is key . Do you get family therapy - if not try to push for that so you can all open up together and try to solve problems between you .
The very best of luck . You know where I am .
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Hi Ali

Thank you for your kind words . If anything helpful comes out from my ramblings then that’s a great by product
Of course your daughter is going to be profoundly affected by the devastating loss of her sister and given the nature of the tragedy , only natural that a struggle with food might ensue
I wish we had recognised Emma’s issues earlier so well done for keeping on top of it . I hope you are getting regular feedback from her counselling as that is key . Do you get family therapy - if not try to push for that so you can all open up together and try to solve problems between you .
The very best of luck . You know where I am .
Thank you.

Our counselling has come to a bit of a grinding halt due to Covid. We’ve all been receiving separate counselling, we have been offered virtual sessions but we didn’t like the idea of it... although I think DH may decide to have a telephone session soon.

DD has recently said that she is looking forward to catching up with her counsellor and also would like to keep on seeing her in the long term. I think this is positive news. She is receiving 18 free sessions through a bereavement charity but when they are finished we have told her that we will pay for as long as she wants to go. Keep the communication going in case she feels she can’t talk to us...

Thanks again, you take good care.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Thank you.

Our counselling has come to a bit of a grinding halt due to Covid. We’ve all been receiving separate counselling, we have been offered virtual sessions but we didn’t like the idea of it... although I think DH may decide to have a telephone session soon.

DD has recently said that she is looking forward to catching up with her counsellor and also would like to keep on seeing her in the long term. I think this is positive news. She is receiving 18 free sessions through a bereavement charity but when they are finished we have told her that we will pay for as long as she wants to go. Keep the communication going in case she feels she can’t talk to us...

Thanks again, you take good care.

Ali x
That's great that your daughter is keen to carry on with the counsellor .Shows she trusts her, and believing in the sessions is vital - something Emma has struggled to do , though I do think she has missed it more than she may let on .
It looks like you aren't doing , but make sure you don't neglect your husband and yourself
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
That's great that your daughter is keen to carry on with the counsellor .Shows she trusts her, and believing in the sessions is vital - something Emma has struggled to do , though I do think she has missed it more than she may let on .
It looks like you aren't doing , but make sure you don't neglect your husband and yourself
Thank you...

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

So the post underneath was 4 years ago . Remember it like it was yesterday . A kind of proud /happy dad day.

Still been a rollercoaster these last months since my last post . Work is keeping her sane but mood and eating is up and down and patience does wear thin at times - really could do with the therapy starting up again to get her anxiety levels down and weight up .
She has decided against University this time with all the uncertainty that is going on in the world but has a guaranteed place for next year so that is a goal to strive towards

Her friend has been back in hospital and the local suicides recently can’t help as she burdens herself with others problems

Post from 2016 below

So on 18th March . our daughter Emma was admitted to the Priory hospital in Altrincham with an eating disorder. She weighed a fraction under 6 stones. ( first picture taken a few weeks later) . She has put on over 2 stones and now weighs in excess of 8 stones. ( 2nd picture) . She and us have been through some really dark times during those 6 months - threatening suicide , attempting to run away from hospital , marking herself , drawing over herself, hitting herself with objects and against walls etc, halucinating , seeing dead people in front of her, being scared to go to sleep for fear of a plane landing on the hospital or there being a fire, refusing medication , barricading herself in her room ,being physically unable even to walk out of the hospital due to fear, she hasnt allowed some members of family to even visit her.
It is only for one night for now , but she is currently fast asleep in her bed in OUR house , for the first time since 18 March. She has an enormous amount of recovery to do before we have her back full time , but it is the first step. We are so proud of her - for however much it has been so difficult for me Rachel and Sam , I cant imagine what it is has been like for Emma
Keep fighting the illness Emma , we love you dearly and will support you through all your difficulties and help you grow into whatever you want to be"

Edited at 10:25 AM.
Old 12 Sep 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Look how far you have all come! Emma wouldn't be where she is now without the support and persistence of you, your wife and son. Well done to all, you really are amazing

I know it's still a long road and this year hasn't helped but hopefully her therapy will start again soon. Great that she has a guaranteed uni place for next year.
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

I love to follow your posts. What a remarkable , loving, supportive family you are. It’s been a long and stressful journey for you all, but look how far down the road you are.
What an achievement getting her Uni place , while fighting this horrible illness , well done young lady , be very proud of yourself.
Mum and Dad, a huge pat on the back ( and your son) for walking this path with her, keeping her safe and showing so much love and support. X

Edited at 11:15 AM.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
I love to follow your posts. What a remarkable , loving, supportive family you are. It’s been a long and stressful journey for you all, but look how far down the road you are.
What an achievement getting her Uni place , while fighting this horrible illness , well done young lady , be very proud of yourself.
Mum and Dad, a huge pat on the back ( and your son) for walking this path with her, keeping her safe and showing so much love and support. X
Thank you. To be fair , the real praise should go to DW , getting up to make and sit with DD for breakfasts then dropping her at work even on the 7am shifts , and to DS for being the one that has to persevere and cajole ( and sometimes be firm ) when she won’t come down for meals or snacks then stay (like we all have to do ) until all the meal is finished.

Ironically we are looking at kitchens and the shop suggested a breakfast bar set up ( that would only sit 3 ) rather than a full table situation and it brought it home how much we all have to have main meals at times to suit her and with everyone present for the whole meal ( if they are in the house )
Old 13 Sep 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

I often think about your daughter and how you are all doing.
I have two daughters, 4 and 22 months, I hope that I can be as strong for them in the future years as you’ve all been for your daughter.
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
I often think of you all too, especially as my son has many similar issues to Emma. You have all come so far! 😁

Did you get any further with the Autism investigation/diagnosis?