Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 16, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
How do you store PIN numbers and passwords?

I have so many, as always advised to not use the same one, and there's no way I could remember them. I don't like them written down yet I have at the mo. Maybe cloud apps? Any ideas?

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

I only have 3 different PIN numbers so remember them. Also only have 3 passwords, all my brain will allow for. Wouldn't feel safe having them written down.
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I have a system based on different words. Works for me. I do write them down, in a sealed envelope in a safe, not to remember them, but we all need to think about what happens in the event of our personal incapacity. Stupid stuff like dh would not have a clue how to log into our utility supplier, or pay for our gardening waste collection, renew, or cancel the radio times subscription etc etc. with all of us conducting a majority of our everyday business online, people tend to have their heads in the sand about it.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I have a system based on different words. Works for me. I do write them down, in a sealed envelope in a safe, not to remember them, but we all need to think about what happens in the event of our personal incapacity. Stupid stuff like dh would not have a clue how to log into our utility supplier, or pay for our gardening waste collection, renew, or cancel the radio times subscription etc etc. with all of us conducting a majority of our everyday business online, people tend to have their heads in the sand about it.
Similar to this. Don't want to be specific, but all our passwords have a theme eg birds. The name of the bird starts with the same letter as the company/organisation. We then add two numbers - the year of birth of our eldest child.
So, the password for Santander could be Songthrush87; BT Blackbird87, etc
It's not the most complex of passwords but it works for us, each one is different and we can remember them! You could add greater complexity by substituting all a's for @, or e's for Ł.
In case of an emergency, a copy is kept in the safe.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Try using song lyrics for passwords and shapes for phone unlocking.
We use lastpass as the password manager for our web browsing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a formula which I use to create each password.

Basically it's 6 lowercase letters (always the same 6), then 2 numbers then the first two letters of the website, in uppercase.

The 2 numbers depend on the first letter of the website name. For example I use 12 for websites A to H, 34 for websites I to P and 56 for websites Q to Z.

So as an example:

garden12AM

for Amazon

garden56WI

for Wikipedia

(Not my actuals !)
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

For work we use password safe a free program that stores all you uid and password securely with one master password

For pin numbers I used to have them in notes in my phone in the form of telephone numbers eg

Norman 0191 1236677 where the last 4 digits are the pin and N = nat west for example...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I use DashLane an app on my phone it saves all your passwords under one master password. So only one to remember then! 😂🙈
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
WillSa6
slightly serious Dibber

PIN nos I have them stored in contacts as a name and telephone number

Eg Peter Orr 02890812345
For post office card- the pin being the last 4 digits.

Margaret Smith for marks and spencer etc
WillSa6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

When I was trying to commit a pin to memory I used to put it in my calculator in my phone and take a screen capture, until I had it committed then it was deleted, (had to do that for the cards for Florida ect.)
Longer pins (like the access to my online banking and my iPad passcode) are all different sections of a longer number I know, but I remember which things use which section of it.

As for word passwords, I have 3 that have a couple of variations in them in terms of the number connected to the end.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread