Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Aug 20, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Boston in September

I have Boston booked for May with day trips to Salem and Martha's Vineyard, as well as plans to see the Red Sox at Fenway. I got a decent price for Premium flights with Virgin via New York and hotel in Back Bay. I have every confidence the borders will be open by then but I can still see masks being mandatory and that's a deal breaker. So I am wondering whether to bite the bullet in October and switch to September 2021. I know Fall is the most popular time to go so was wondering if it would be a lot more expensive than May? Are all the activities still running? What's the weather like?
I would lose the Red Sox game which is the main thing that's putting me off switching. The other issue is we are combining it with Florida and doing 6 days at Universal and 4 days at Disney- I have done May and September in Orlando and much prefer May. I was really confident when we booked the trip in June but I feel like the mask situation will be here for a while, so I don't know what to do. My balance is due in February so we could ride it out and see what happens, but if we decide on September the prices might have sky rocketed by then

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2021- London
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

You make some compelling points to retain the May dates -

1) The tickets to see the Red Sox - wow, awesome.
2) The weather in Florida in May is, in my opinion, a tad nicer than September when the afternoon storms and associated humidity kick in.
3) Fall prices could easily (but may not be) significantly higher in September to New England due to all those tourists coming to see the wonderful foliage - although that can be quite finicky and can easily move weeks either side.
4) Decent price on your existing flight tickets.
5) Time to play with until balance is due.

But then you say the 'mask issue' could be a deal breaker. Only you can answer this one because no knows what the crystal ball will tell us. Are you unable to wear it due to claustrophobia or some other medical issue, or simply unwilling to wear for 7 hours on a flight? The rectangular white/blue surgical-type masks are not (in my opinion) too bad to wear for lengthy periods, especially in an air-conditioned plane with the vent above facing directly onto you. Remember, you can take them off to eat and drink on the plane.

Personally, I'd stick with the original plan but, this being a diverse board, you will likely get differing opinions. Ultimately, your decision matters. Good luck.
Old 18 Aug 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RICO View Post
You make some compelling points to retain the May dates -

1) The tickets to see the Red Sox - wow, awesome.
2) The weather in Florida in May is, in my opinion, a tad nicer than September when the afternoon storms and associated humidity kick in.
3) Fall prices could easily (but may not be) significantly higher in September to New England due to all those tourists coming to see the wonderful foliage - although that can be quite finicky and can easily move weeks either side.
4) Decent price on your existing flight tickets.
5) Time to play with until balance is due.

But then you say the 'mask issue' could be a deal breaker. Only you can answer this one because no knows what the crystal ball will tell us. Are you unable to wear it due to claustrophobia or some other medical issue, or simply unwilling to wear for 7 hours on a flight? The rectangular white/blue surgical-type masks are not (in my opinion) too bad to wear for lengthy periods, especially in an air-conditioned plane with the vent above facing directly onto you. Remember, you can take them off to eat and drink on the plane.

Personally, I'd stick with the original plan but, this being a diverse board, you will likely get differing opinions. Ultimately, your decision matters. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice

The Red Sox are actually playing at home on the dates I want to move to in September (I thought the season finished in August!) so this has actually swayed us more towards September.

The weather does put me off on the Florida side but I was hoping it wouldn't bother us too much as we aren't doing the full-on Disney experience again until 2022.

I am just waiting for the flights to come out in October to compare but I am hopeful as the prices seem to be reasonable for all the dates released so far in 2021

Boston hotels might be a lot higher priced as you mentioned so we could look at renting an apartment if we decide on September

The mask issue isn't a medical thing, my husband wears one for work in a hot factory and its something we both wouldn't want to put up with on holiday so it's definitely a deal breaker. I guess things could change a lot by May.

2021- London

princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Well, you've got the Red Sox as a possibility in September so that's good. You also have some time to carefully consider your options until the flights are released - also good...there's nothing quite like sleeping on it before making big decisions.

Finally, and I can only give you experience of having taken a flight wearing a mask, the cooler AC on the plane will be a lot more comfortable than your husband's hot factory. As for wearing it in/around Massachusetts', well yes that's the unknown for now.

I wish you the best making this decision. Maybe others will come on here with some other sage advice that we've not thought of ?

Edited at 03:48 PM.
RICO is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi, we did Boston the first week of November and were pleasantly surprised to have the Fall experience, it had been quite mild .
We did the tour of Fenway Park , it was so I interesting and you get to see all areas of the park , although I don’t know if this is a good enough trade off for the actual game?
We ate at Walburgers just around the corner after .
We stayed in Back Bay and walked , only about 20 minutes to Fenway. The other bonus was it’s also home to The Cheesecake Factory
I would say November could be a more pleasurable time to wear masks and things may have eased more a bit.
Whichever you decide Boston is such a great relaxed city
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Hi, we did Boston the first week of November and were pleasantly surprised to have the Fall experience, it had been quite mild .
We did the tour of Fenway Park , it was so I interesting and you get to see all areas of the park , although I don’t know if this is a good enough trade off for the actual game?
We ate at Walburgers just around the corner after .
We stayed in Back Bay and walked , only about 20 minutes to Fenway. The other bonus was it’s also home to The Cheesecake Factory
I would say November could be a more pleasurable time to wear masks and things may have eased more a bit.
Whichever you decide Boston is such a great relaxed city
The hotel I have booked is in Back Bay, I agree its a great area, when I went years ago I stayed in the hotel next door to Cheesecake Factory November wouldn't be any good for us with the Florida side of the trip unfortunately as the Disney anniversary is on- I did consider New York with Boston at one point but I don't think that's the best city to plan to visit at the moment

2021- London

Old 19 Aug 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RICO View Post
Well, you've got the Red Sox as a possibility in September so that's good. You also have some time to carefully consider your options until the flights are released - also good...there's nothing quite like sleeping on it before making big decisions.

Finally, and I can only give you experience of having taken a flight wearing a mask, the cooler AC on the plane will be a lot more comfortable than your husband's hot factory. As for wearing it in/around Massachusetts', well yes that's the unknown for now.

I wish you the best making this decision. Maybe others will come on here with some other sage advice that we've not thought of ?
thank you very much for the advice

2021- London

Old 19 Aug 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Totally agree with not doing New York. We love December there and try to go every year but we have said it’s going to be at least 2023 before we’d think about going back which is a shame as DD is 21 next October and the plan had been to have breakfast at Tiffany’s :cry
Hoping you find a solution.
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Totally agree with not doing New York. We love December there and try to go every year but we have said it’s going to be at least 2023 before we’d think about going back which is a shame as DD is 21 next October and the plan had been to have breakfast at Tiffany’s :cry
Hoping you find a solution.
thank you, I totally understand about New York, we planned to go Nov 2022 for my husbands 40th, stay at the Plaza, breakfast at Tiffanys etc and I just don't think it will be safe

2021- London

Old 27 Aug 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
If you do Martha’s Vineyard, one option is to park up and get a bus down to the ferry.

If you do make sure you find out in advance which location they are running the buses from as they changed the location on certain days when we there
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List