Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 7 Jul 09, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi_Angie
Being a bit Goofy

My family and I will be in London at the end of July - and for the first time since I was a student (many, many years ago!), I'll be Youth Hostelling! Apparently it's very family friendly these days; we've booked a room with six beds and an en-suite bathroom, and using Tesco vouchers, it's worked out very cheap!

Another thing I'd like to mention is the Harry Potter walk...

discovery-walks/londo...y-potter-walk/

It's free! You just fill in the enquiry form on the website and Richard sends back a 27-page pdf of the walk. We're never going to manage all of it, but I'm sure it'll keep my three kids happy for a day or two.

sw16 - enjoy Wicked! It's fabulous - we might even go see it for a second time - we all loved it!
High Grove (2007) ... Bella Vida (2008, 2010) ... LA & Vegas (2009) ... Washington/Philly/NYC/Boston/Cape Cod (2011) ... AKL/Florida Pines (2012) ... Westridge (2013) ... AKL (2014) ... RPR/Yacht Club (2015) ... PBR (2016) ... POR (2017) ... HI DS (2018) ... AKL (2019)
Jedi_Angie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 09, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
moggitymog
slightly serious Dibber

myself dbf and dd age7 are going to london 13th-16th august staying at liverpool st travelodge, any suggestions/tips would be great, we would also love to see a show, which do you think would be the best one to see?

International plaza resort and spa - March 2009 Hawthorn suites, westwood boulevard - Nov 2011 New York - Nov 2014 Rosen inn, pointe orlando - Feb 2015 Enclave Suites - Feb 2018
moggitymog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 09, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post

For anyone in the Forces who has returned from active duty within the last six months, the Victory Services Club are offering their hotel rooms at half the usual price. We are staying there in August and it is only costing us £50 per night.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 09, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

no-one has mentioned the natural history museum in cromwell road in the knightsbridge area, thats a good day out for adults and children alike and its free to get in, behind this you have the science museum which is also free (not as good as the NHM in my opinion, but what do i know?), hyde paqrk is a 2 minute walk away from the site and harrods is a 5 minute walk and kensington high street is also a 5 minute walk, you could wander the whole day away round there, its made for tourists.
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 09, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyD
Imagineer

DisneyD's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 14
We were in London recently for Wimbledon and had a ball (sorry about the pun)!

It was an adult only trip (for once!) along with our fabulous day at wimbledon we took the orginal bus tour thanks to Mr Tesco and it was great my DH had never been to London before and it covered everything he wanted to see.

Had a lovely lunch in PING PONG in St Katherines Dock beside the tower of London and an even nicer one in gordon ramseys boxwood cafe just 5 minutes from Harrods!

My DH loves real ale and we found a gem very near the clink prison called the market porter fabulous range of beer and great service!

Yes it was an expensive couple of days but definately worth it wish I'd had the Harry Potter walk i would've loved to do that - maybe next time!
Old 14 Jul 09, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sw16
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sw16 View Post
I am going to London at the end of June to celebrate my graduation with my parents. We are there for 2 days and are going to see Wicked (I have wanted to see it for ages! ). Which of the touristy things do you recommend and what are a waste of time/money. I'm not that bothered about the London Eye tbh it seems expensive and a bit boring
Originally Posted by Jedi_Angie View Post
sw16 - enjoy Wicked! It's fabulous - we might even go see it for a second time - we all loved it!
Just a quick update London was amazing! Wicked was absolutely brilliant and we managed to get last min tickets to Hairspray to which was soo funny. We ended up walking everywhere and getting massive blistera but we basically just went to look at the sights and did a bit of shopping

Edited at 12:14 AM. Reason: sights as in sights not sites!
sw16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 09, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lausan
VIP Dibber

lausan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 47
well worth a visit

visitlondon/peterpan/show/index
Old 21 Jul 09, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by moggitymog View Post
myself dbf and dd age7 are going to london 13th-16th august staying at liverpool st travelodge, any suggestions/tips would be great, we would also love to see a show, which do you think would be the best one to see?
Wicked is a good one for your party to see. Remember your DD will still have to pay full price for the seat. I used to have the 'honour' of working at McDonald's in Liverpool St It is a good place to get to and from there are several tube lines there. The Central (Red right across the middle of the map) will probably be the one you use most. Though The Hammersmith and City line and Circle line go to stations near big tourist attractions.

Liverpool St station can get very busy. It is in the City (Financial district) and is regional terminus so try not to travel at rush hour (9 am and 5-6pm Monday to Friday) if you can help it.

A general tip about tubes. If you get separated at the train door it is best for the person/people on the train to go to the next station and wait. Meanwhile you get the next train. You get off at the next station as well and all get the next train to come along.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 09, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
operasingerkat
Very Serious Dibber

operasingerkat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We're going to London for a few days next week, just staying in the travelodge at Battersea (trying to do it on a budget!). We thought we'd take the boys to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum, a trip to Hamley's, and part of the Harry Potter walk. Can anyone think of anything else we should do? I had thought of the Tower or the Zoo (never been to the Zoo, so is it worth the money?). Also, can you think of anywhere relatively cheap to eat that we can go at tea time? Places like TGI Fridays are good and I think we might eat there, but need a couple more ideas.
2008 - POR; 2010, 2012, 2014 - Saratoga Springs; 2018 -POR
operasingerkat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 09, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
I would skip the Tower (out of budget) and the Zoo (out of budget AND very poor value).

From where you are staying the local station goes in to Waterloo, so for more history than the Tower I would do Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace and for eating places head along the Southbank past the London Eye, Tate Modern, Globe in the direction of Borough Market. There are various good value restaurants like Nandos, The Real Greek and others, or you can eat at The Anchor Bankside (where Tom Cruise has a drink at the end of Mission Impossible I). If you are there on a Thursday, Friday or Sat eat in Borough Market. Alternatively, carry on to Hayes Galleria, by HMS Belfast, and you will find a Cafe Rouge (see here for some offers). As a less expensive alternative to the London Eye, you can go up Tower Bridge to the overhead walkways. Because you will be getting a train you can use the 2for1 offer here.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List