Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jun 22, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Do any of you wild camp?

And

What do you do for a loo if you don't have one?!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Do any of you wild camp?

And

What do you do for a loo if you don't have one?!
Haven’t wild camped but planning on buying Thetford porta potti if we do
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
excitedbunny79
Imagineer

We've wild camped in, in fact we mostly wild camp, we love it. We have a 2001 converted Mercedes Vito and it's utterly brilliant. We keep a portable camping toilet in the back and use it as as when we need to. We leave absolutely no trace though when we've wild camped and no one would know we've been there when we leave. Rubbish etc it's a big reason why quite a few councils are clamping down on wild camping. Park4anight is a great site if you're looking for stop offs to bed down for the night.

The good thing about Vito, transporter size campers is they fit under the height barriers quite a few car parks have now installed to deter the bigger campers.

excitedbunny79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Laner
slightly serious Dibber

Laner's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My sister bought a 2 year old ex RAC van (VW) and had it converted for Glastonbury. Not much change out of £40K I believe but some of them go for £ 60K and above so she should get her money back if she sells it.
Disneyland Paris 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2014
Florida 1993, 1997, 2008, 2013
Laner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Isn't that the difference between a camper van and a motorhome, no loo v loo?
I don’t think so the talbot black bottoms have loo and shower and are classed as camper vans, I think but don’t know it’s whether they fit in a parking space.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
5gotodisney
Excited about Disney

We have been looking at campervan’s, although not going to get a VW one, my thoughts are, as others have already said, it’s definitely worth looking at hiring one to try it out before spending so much.
Also worth going to a campervan / motorhome show, there are so many different types and layouts of campervans, the shows are great for being able to see them.
A lot of the manufacturers are struggling with supply issues, which has caused a long wait for new models, don’t know if the VW’s are affected as we’ve been looking at a different make, but we are being told at least a 12 month wait for the camper van we’re thinking of getting.
The second hand prices have all gone up considerably the last couple of years as well, so secondhand isn’t necessarily the deal they once were. I know a couple of people who have sold their 3 year old vans for the price they paid for them new, again these aren’t VW vans, the whole campervan market is very affected by demand and certainly for some makes, supply issues.
Good luck with your search, it’s good fun, and hope you have some great times when you do get the van.
5gotodisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 5gotodisney View Post
We have been looking at campervan’s, although not going to get a VW one, my thoughts are, as others have already said, it’s definitely worth looking at hiring one to try it out before spending so much.
Also worth going to a campervan / motorhome show, there are so many different types and layouts of campervans, the shows are great for being able to see them.
A lot of the manufacturers are struggling with supply issues, which has caused a long wait for new models, don’t know if the VW’s are affected as we’ve been looking at a different make, but we are being told at least a 12 month wait for the camper van we’re thinking of getting.
The second hand prices have all gone up considerably the last couple of years as well, so secondhand isn’t necessarily the deal they once were. I know a couple of people who have sold their 3 year old vans for the price they paid for them new, again these aren’t VW vans, the whole campervan market is very affected by demand and certainly for some makes, supply issues.
Good luck with your search, it’s good fun, and hope you have some great times when you do get the van.

Where I have been looking I think that secondhand whist still higher than 4 years ag is dropping and is less than they were a year ago
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I agree with peoples comment on hiring one - or buying a cheap 2nd hand one for a season. A friend bought a brand new motorhome, used it twice and hated it. Expensive mistake. Also having a 'test' one - either bought or hired will give you more of an incentive of what you would need for a new one - good luck
sam7 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
5gotodisney
Excited about Disney

Sew109, That’s good to hear, to be honest as one of the reasons we’ve delayed getting one is the prices we’re so high. I originally thought we’d get one 2-3 years old, but there really wasn’t much difference in price at the time between new and the ones a couple of years old, I think in part because of the supply issues with new ones. We ended up thinking we would wait a bit and see what happened, currently planning on getting one next year, all being well.

Edited at 09:18 AM.
5gotodisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 5gotodisney View Post
Sew109, That’s good to hear, to be honest as one of the reasons we’ve delayed getting one is the prices we’re so high. I originally thought we’d get one 2-3 years old, but there really wasn’t much difference in price at the time between new and the ones a couple of years old, I think in part because of the supply issues with new ones. We ended up thinking we would wait a bit and see what happened, currently planning on getting one next year, all being well.
Its been crazy a friend of mine bought a new one last year for £60k was on holiday and sadly got the call that his mother had passed. He associated this with his van and did not want to use it again, it had been used for a month and he sold it for £68k !