Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Jul 22, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
JoanicSicos
Getting Excited

Urgent Advice Required - charged full car hire despite paid with BA holidays

So, after a nightmare of a travel day, I turned up to Avis preferred booth today with my voucher and app beaming in anticipation of my full size SUV hire.

After finding my booking I was informed that the card on file was expired - no worries, this was booked three years ago and moved due to the pandemic. Bought pre paid fules and I handed over my credit card, swiped and waited for my keys.

Imagine my shock when I was handed my booking receipt and it showed estimated charges of $1832, which has indeed come off my credit card.

Both the worker and supervisor said they couldn't do anything, the BA voucher wasn't "linked" to my reservation, which seems like BS considering it shows it on my receipt.

They reckon they can sorted it, but they need an "updated" voucher from BA before the rental is closed off.

I'm a bit of a loss as to what to do - in my shock, I actually have no idea what I've agreed too on my rental - I've uploaded a pic here.

Does anyone have any advice as to where to even start with this?

Edited at 02:51 AM.
JoanicSicos is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 03:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Josephus
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

There’s nothing more you can do this evening.

Firstly you need to check that you have the correct insurance. For a non-US renter you should have:

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) which is a combination insurance of both Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Theft Waiver. This stops you being liable for any damage to your car.

Uninsured Motorist Protection (UMP). You want this to be around $1,000,000.

Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). Again, $1,000,000 is a good amount or coverage.

Lastly, you should have roadside assistance.

The money hasn’t gone from your account……yet. You’ve just given them permission to take this money at the end of your rental. Your credit card company has basically put a fence around the $1,800 to stop you double spending this money. If Avis don’t take the option to take payment at the end of your rental then a couple of days later the fence will be taken down and the money can be spent again.

You need BA to fix this ASAP. Once Avis takes payment, which they are entitled to; you’re virtually screwed. I’d imagine in this situation you’re paying the $1,800 for this rental and then you’d have the BA coupon for a future rental. You could argue with BA and get the coupon refunded, but I’d imagine it’s worth significantly less than $1,800.

This sounds like a simple error on behalf of BA. I’m sure if the coupon does what you say it does then this is a relatively easy fix. Just DO NOT wait till you return the car to hand over the coupon and get this fixed. If something is still wrong you may find you’re out if time to fix this. I’d imagine that you could visit any AVIS counter and wouldn’t have to return to MCO to fix this.

Good luck.
Josephus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 06:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OK. Firstly don't panic. This type of thing was happening to a lot of people pre pandemic as BA are notoriously slow to 'push' the monies they hold for car hire across to the rental companies.

A phone call always sorted it and in most cases during the duration of the hire the monies went across anyhow so the customer never had to pay.

But - I can't see clearly what you have paid for as when I enlarge the screenshot on my iPad it's blurred.

It looks like PAI has been declined so that's good as you don't need it.

Contrary to the advice from the poster above you don't need UMP. That's geared for Americans whereas you have your travel Insurance. I note he is in Florida so he is right for himself and fellow Countrymen but not us.

You need to see what you are being charged for and have accepted. Pre pay to return empty is fine but is there anything else?

If so you can ring a Toll Free Number and get it removed within 24hrs of collection. Not later though.

I would be on the phone to BA ref the overall cost though.

Finally BA are responsible for your hire costs. As long as they have sent you a confirmation E Mail that contains a rental voucher they will always remain responsible and in a dispute will have to pay your increased costs but not for any extras you selected.

Hope that helps.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:28 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JoanicSicos
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OK. Firstly don't panic. ***awesome advice***
Hi Tom

Thanks for the quick reply - I have an email into the duty office for BA holidays, as they're lines are closed (and getting through on the main line is a pain)

I've increased the image sizes here so hopefully that should help

I have the money there, was just a bit of a shock last night - went in expecting to argue a small amount of insurance or upselling, not the entire car hire cost 😳

Was a bit of a downer last night, but onwards and upwards!
JoanicSicos is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
It looks to me like they have just charged you the rates current at the time you picked it up. However the weird thing is their Computer has recognised it's a BA Booking. I suspect it will get sorted and would crack on with your Holiday. The fact is if they don't play ball they would get overturned when you present all the evidence to your Credit Card Company and do a charge back.

Best of luck and lets hope BA respond to your E Mail on Monday. Have fun, lovely time of year to be there.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List