Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Jul 22, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Butts1
Excited about Disney

Pedestrian Crossings I Drive and Elsewhere ?

I wasn't sure which category to put this in but I suppose Drivers would know the answer.

It seems that on occasions Cars are trying to go across whilst the white hand is indicating pedestrians can cross. I assume cars are only supposed to do this if no one is crossing?

It seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Anyone know what the actual rules are ?
Butts1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 05:51 AM  
Link to this Post
casper_gutman
Helping Minnie

Cars can turn right on a red light unless there's a specific sign banning this at a particular junction, so there will usually be vehicles which can drive over any given pedestrian crossing during the pedestrian phase.

A similar thing happens in many countries in Europe, where green lights will be given to cars to turn into a road where pedestrians are given a green signal to cross. I think drivers are supposed to be aware of this and give priority to pedestrians.

This all probably works okay as long as drivers are used to it. The problem will come in areas with lots of cars driven by tourists from places where a green light means you definitely have priority.

On reflection, I'll be very careful crossing the road in Orlando!

Edited at 05:53 AM.
casper_gutman is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Crossing the road is awful haha! The first couple of times we went we would be stood at the roadside for a long time waiting for it to be safe for us to cross- even though the light over the other side said we could! We're better at it now, as long as nothing is flying towards us we commit and run 🤣
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

I never know who has priority, as I've been waved across as both a pedestrian by a car and as a driver by a pedestrian, so I just proceed with caution when driving and give way as a first choice and if walking, do it quickly and confidently but check for cars coming round a corner. Its noticing when the light changes too when walking, as they don't beep like at home, the number of times people are still standing and its already down to 10 seconds and 6 lanes to cross.
Old 6 Jul 22, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
For the full legal "right of way" answers I'd hope that regular Dibbers like DonnaD will provide a definitive answer.

All I can say with any certainty is that customers will wander out of Walmart, Target or the road in front of shops at Posner for example without bothering to look left or right. You are expected to stop.

Whether that's the law or just "custom & practice" I don't know.

As mentioned earlier they certainly have priority at "turn on red" situations.

Mick
Old 6 Jul 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Butts1
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the information.
Butts1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Having driven a fair bit in Florida and contributed a little to the DIBB driving guide I thought that I should make some effort to find out.

Basically nobody has the "right of way" in Florida - the law only legislates on who "gives way".

Interesting read here

123driving/dmv/drive...-right-of-way/

Mick

PS Far too much information - I'm not copying and pasting into the DIBB guide

Edited at 12:07 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List