Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 27 Jan 22, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchbounce
slightly serious Dibber

Wedding cakes

Hi guys ☺️

We originally had someone we wanted to make our wedding cake however after talking back on forth on numerous occasions she just doesn't seem to want to finalise the order so I guess she doesn't want my custom 😂.

So I'm not a fan of cake myself, however my partner is, so I feel like picking a wedding cake and finding someone is almost the hardest part of the planning. I have so many questions. Should we have just tiered cakes? Cupcakes? A mix? There will be about 50 adults and 20 children in the day and the intention was to have it served as pudding. We did see one that was three tiers and had flowers going up the side but I feel like that will cost a fortune.

Should we have vanilla or a mix of flavours? Should we be having a tasting session? How much should I really be talking of paying?. We live in Hampshire, UK if that makes a difference. Also do I message lots of businesses? like are people chill about being turned down if it's too expensive.

Also, I do know a few baking businesses should I avoid those I know in case of potential issues and therefore relationship breakdowns as some are families.

Our colour scheme is basically royal blue. I've seen buttercream ones, fondant ones. Has anyone really liked their cake or really not to give advice on what's easiest ? Any advice would be appreciated! 👍
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

I would be getting some quotes from various bakers, its madness as add wedding infront of cake and price shoots up! I think you can buy wedding cakes in likes of m&s aswell.
Donz1979 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My cousin had a croque en bouche that served as their wedding cake and pudding.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

If you have family members who have baking businesses I would be tempted to let one of them make the cake. This would be way more special for me, than going to a company. Mind you I wouldn’t have minded too much if it was Instagram perfect, especially if a friend/family made it.
I don’t eat cake at all, so we had the most amazing cheese tower that my Dad sorted for me! I absolutely loved it
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had square cupcakes - 3 different colours and 3 different flavours, and a square sponge cake on top!

I think we used it as pudding too!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

I would ask one of the people you know if they could make a cake for you as I agree with Mitch it would make it more special.

If you really don’t want to my friend had a cake from m&s it looked and tasted really good.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
I would let your partner pick the flavour (especially as they like cake! ) and I personally hate fondant covered cakes as fondant doesn’t taste great, so I would choose buttercream. With that many people I would do a couple of tiers and maybe some matching cupcakes (for the kids).

Pinterest has loads of ideas, I thought this was simple but pretty and you could have flowers with white or blue touches to co-ordinate.

I know there are several professional bakers on here so they would probably be able to give some great advice!

Edited at 09:31 PM.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

We bought cakes from M &S and then paid someone else to make the sugar flowers to decorate ( from memory I think they cost as much as if not more than the cakes) having said that after the wedding we bought them home and put them in our dresser and a move, a house fire and 18 years later they're still going strong and look as good as ever, so worth the money

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

This was my brothers cheese wedding cake some years ago

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I had m and s cakes and i decorated them. My daughter had a 3 tier cake, only one tier was real, the others polystyrene covered in same icing etc.