Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 14 Feb 22, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

iPhone 13pro, iMovie and Youtube

Anyone know anything about iMovie and YouTube?

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 13pro and I’ve been reading about how great the video capabilities are.

I film all our Florida trips and when watching them back on YouTube you can see the improvement over the years in the quality, first from Panasonic camcorder, to iPhone 6, iPhone X and iPhone 11pro..

I’ve recently been reading that when you upload an iMovie to YouTube then there is a loss in quality.

I’ve never recorded in 4K, normally I just capture 1080p at 60fps as I find that looks great even on a 4k TV,.
But , my question is.

In terms of just “home movies” what would be the best settings so as to “future proof” movies?

Would I be best to start capturing 4k at 30fps?
I am mind full that a 1 hr iMovie in 4k would be a big file and could take forever to upload into YouTube.
Manny Haines is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 22, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I am no expert but how does this sound.

Why not record at 4k 30fps and keep those files on your iCloud account / storage BUT when you upload to YT drop down to 1080P?

That way they are still great quality on YT but have the highest quality files for the future , if you ever want to upload them again at highest quality? How many of the people who watch them on YouTube would feel “disappointed” they were not 4k?

Yes you might have to move to higher storage / iCloud level to cope with the bigger files.

Also in bright Florida sunshine - would people notice the “lower” 1080P quality.

Just my thoughts!

By the way could I ask some question about editing with iMovie sometime? We have a Tokyo trip in May and fancy recording some “interesting” videos of a few things there, but all a bit new!

Edited at 08:14 PM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 22, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Also 30 fps might look a bit juddery with fast moving things like roller coasters , so perhaps shoot those at the 1080P 60fps?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 22, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

Makes total sense.

And, if I’m honest, I’ve pondered this for a few years but always stuck with 1080/60 for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
It’s that FOMO effect, the phones telling me, I can do 4k, that’s better…plus what got me thinking was reading online (damn you internet) that a slower fps/shutter speed gives better results coupled to 4k then you get more bang for your buck.

Btw, I just use Youtube as a “cloud storage” place, I upload videos and mark them private.

Anyhoo, your sense of reason means you’ve talked sense into me, 1080/60 it is.

My question was driven from best possible quality but not waiting days for a video to upload.
Manny Haines is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 22, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

I've also stuck with 1080p 60 for our channel as I prefer the smooth framerate over the higher resolution/storage space/battery usage.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List