Notices

Old 19 Feb 22, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

ARIZONA 2022: A National Park Road Trip - Day 1 Travel

Having set 4 alarm calls on my phone (just in case&hellip I didn't need any of them! I woke up at 3.45am and decided that as the first alarm was due in 30 minutes it really wasn't worth trying to get back to sleep!

After a shower, I woke up J who was going to run me to the airport. We are lucky in that we only live 20 minutes from it and it is really small enough that you don't need much time to navigate it, especially if you are already checked in!

We left at 4.40am - as scheduled. The dog came with us - she was so worried as she sees suitcases and frets about being left (not that we ever do! )

J dropped me off - no need for him to come in. I walked past the longish line at the Lufthansa desks and there even longer one at the Air France one and onto security. This was pretty quick and I was through by 5.20am.

Nothing was yet open but Pret-á-manger was due to open at 5.30 am. So I waited. I picked up a cheese sandwich for later (the only veggie option) and a coffee.

I was due to depart from Gate 50. They have changed that so that I didn't need to go through passport control. There is absolutely nothing at this end of the airport.

Unfortunately the plane was having some technical issues which involved a computer reset. Never the most reassuring of comments! Also this made me a bit anxious as I only had a 2 hour layover in Frankfurt. That sounds a lot but Frankfurt is enormous and there can be a lot of walking involved.

I had chosen a window seat with nobody next to me when I had checked in. But someone came along. He looked as horrified as I did and said he worked keep on moving until he got a spare seat (the flight was not so full)

After the doors were closed, there was a 15 minute delay for the cargo to be finished to be loaded. The Captain said that due to the storm we would be flying up to Greenland. The flight would take a bit longer than usual but we should still arrive on time. I hoped so as I only had 2 hours 20 in Houston and no boarding pass. Though at least I won't have to wait for my luggage! I had my cheese sandwich as I was starving. I hadn't been able to eat up to now!

Drinks were served fairly quickly filled by lunch. Normally I would pre-order a veggie meal but again I hadn't wanted to tempt fate. Thankfully there was just one option- veggie lasagna with a salad, a bread roll, brie and a chocolate cake. Despite having eaten the sandwich I wolfed it down.

Like most of the passengers I tried to sleep. I am not sure I managed but at least I rested. None of the films screamed out at me so I read my kindle. At about half way through the flight drinks were served again- but no snacks. Note to self- buy some treats for the flight home!

Like most of the passengers I tried to sleep. I am not sure I managed but at least I rested. None of the films screamed out at me so I read my kindle. At about half way through the flight drinks were served again- but no snacks. Note to self- buy some treats for the flight home!

I had forgotten how long these flights are! I kept trying to nod off but just couldn't get comfy. About 90m before landing, just after a bout of turbulence, the snack was served - a veggie and cheese wrap (just about edible), a cherry yoghurt (probably my least favorite flavour but I was hungry) and some chocolate wafers (by far the best thing on the tray! )

Even though we were late leaving and flew the long way round the flight touched down at 2.40pm. As the flight wasn't full we were off within 5 minutes. Last time I connected through Houston it took ages to get through passport control. I walked quickly (so many people dawdle!) and to my delight there was hardly anyone there. I had the nicest officer and got stamped in! There didn't seem to be customs anymore. I then went through the connecting lane and within 20m of getting off the flight I was at the gate. I let J, F and O know I was here! F has been tracking my flight so knew. O was just boarding his at LAX. He will be there before me!

I had passed a Panda Express so got a veggie chow mein ($4.97). It wasn't the best but filled a hole. I went back to the gate where there was a United staff member and she gave me my boarding pass- I am on the exit row. I managed to be the last person to board withs wheely case- everyone else has to put it in the hold! So glad as I didn't really want to hang around waiting for it!

I managed to sleep for most of the flight. We landed on time and I was quickly off. O was waiting for me in the baggage reclaim- so very lovely to see him

We went to get the car- getting the document was a quick job, getting the car involved a 30m wait. The first one we had- a lovely bronze jeep had an under pressure tyre - not something you want on a road trip so they gave us a Mitsubishi suv - bland but does the job. O did a great job at directing me to the airbnb- darkness, tiredness and a new city don't make for the best driving experience

The airbnb is as described. Clean too and a third of the price of hotels here! We dumped out bags and walked to a nearby Pizza Hut. I had a pan mushroom and pineapple pizza and O has a mushroom one. As soon as we got back it was bedtime! I had been up by this stage for 26 hours!

Sorry for today's lack of photos! The rest of the week will be far better I promise!

Edited at 12:01 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 22, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 19 Feb 22 11:05 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 22, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Fabulous start although a very long one! I imagine it was quite emotional walking in and seeing O in the baggage area waiting for you.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 22, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Great start and what an epic travel day! Must of been so nice to see O waiting for you
Old 19 Feb 22, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great start, glad you are now with your son bet it was lovely to see him

Joan
Old 19 Feb 22, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Oooh, a new Mel TR!

How fantastic to be with your son, too.

Have a wonderful time.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 22, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I bet you were delighted to see O again. Travel day seemed to go well.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I would have loved to see your face when you saw O again 💞

I remember how damp my eyes were when I met our son in Vietnam when we visited him a few years ago 💞

Overall, a good travel day for you xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 22, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Sounds like it was a good travel day.

Bet it was lovely to see O again.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List