Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 5 Jun 22, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

A relaxed military style trip. May 2022. Day 8. More New York and back to Orlando.

Wednesday 18th May.

Index

Another alarm as we had SOL booked plus wanted to visit one world observatory.
View from the room.

Breakfast was included, it was ok.
We got to the restaurant just after it opened and it was already busy so had a seat in the overflow. The food must have been here for a while. Matt likes it boiling but I never usually moan about warm food, this was stone cold. The fried eggs were rock hard as well.

Smoked salmon was good though and Matt enjoyed his more than I did.
I went for sweet things, by now the queue was long.

It was nice to have a hot chocolate though.
I had booked SOL direct on their website as we wanted to look around on the island. I booked the pedestal ticket as it was just a few cents more.
We really didn’t want to negotiate the subway but we didn’t have any other option. Dibbers and friends reassured me it was easy to navigate from Times Square.
We needed the downtown number 1 subway to south ferry, it went direct. We used our contactless cards and it was very simple. Plus because most people are still working from home (only 8% back in the office) it wasn’t busy at rush hour either.
We noticed penn station on this line as well, so that was a bonus.
It takes you straight to the free straten island ferry that runs 24 hours a day. However, we had tickets with sol tours, a helpful security guard told us the way, he must get asked that a lot.
We got a little confused and took the long way round. 🤣
Another airport security and then to the boat which was already there.

The workers shouted no lines or something similar so it was a free for all.
Masks were needed.
We chose downstairs as we wanted to be off quickly. I was quite conscious of the time this morning.
As we got closer we popped outside.

We noted the return times and gave ourselves half hour on the island.
We decided against going on the pedestal as you couldn’t take back packs and had to faff around with a locker.
Instead we looked around the statue.

We boarded the boat, it was fairly empty so sat upstairs.

As soon as we were off we walked the short distance to one world, easy when you can see it. 🤣
The waterfalls were so impressive, photos don’t really do them justice.

It really is a beautiful tribute.
We found the entrance, had our pass scanned and got tickets.
We didn’t have to wait at all.
I had seen the lift ride on YouTube and I didn’t want to look so I closed my eyes. It was really smooth though and up in no time.
The first part is so well done, very clever.
Then down 2 levels to the observatory.

It’s breathtaking and heartbreaking, so hard to imagine how people felt on that day, deciding to jump or stay.
This was the other highlight of the trip.

We headed back down, had a lift to ourselves. I opened my eyes and it was quite nice little movie around the sides.
Why do they exit you in a mall and not the entrance, it’s so confusing.
Asked a security guard how to get to the uptown subway, it was right beside us so was super easy.
We took the subway to penn station, exited to look for the train station part. Had a quick look in Macy’s which was just like Debenhams 🤣
We found the entrance we needed, brought tickets from a booth and asked where we had to go. Also very helpful.
A train was there already, about to leave so hopped on. It had 3 floors, we went downstairs. The one on the way was old fashioned but this was sparkly and new.
25 minutes ish we arrived at the airport.
Took the airport train to our terminal, couldn’t get boarding passes again but had no issues at the desk today.
We decided on firehouse subs, it was pretty steep, 2 subs, drinks and one bag of crisps for $40 but they were amazing. I must have forgot to take a photo though.
Boarding started on time, we were in group 8 and were on the very back row. This wasn’t so good as we heard every think banging behind us. The people in front said it was the worse flight they had.
It wasn’t that bad, I had my eye mask and managed to sleep but the landing was a little bumpy.
Nice to get off the plane and exit without checks. We knew where to go for an Uber now, level 2, so ordered one. It was chaos at the picking up area, cars everywhere. A man was using his whistle at everyone. We tracked our car and jumped straight in.
Journey was easy, had a shower as soon as we got back as I felt disgusting.
Then headed to the Alehouse, couldn’t be bothered going far.
Matt had a voucher for free chicken tenders.
Had a drink first.

Then ordered food.

We discussed our flying visit to New York, we both had loved it which surprised us as didn’t think we would enjoy it as much as we did.
Would have loved to walked over Brooklyn bridge but we really did pack tons in so can’t complain.
Plus having no luggage to worry about and coming back to Orlando for the rest of the holiday was a massive bonus. Would do this little trip out from Orlando again.
I asked for the bill and a box.
It was $83 which was more than I thought, the chicken wasn’t taken off the bill so the server went and did that. It does make me wonder if they forget with tourists, I love the Alehouse but had noticed we seemed to get different treatment to Americans.
Total $68.32
Anyway, back to the room and our own beds. 🤣

Edited at 01:01 AM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 22, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Another amazing day! There are just so many iconic things to see and do in NYC!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lovely trip well worth doing

Joan
Old 9 Jun 22, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I love NYC! You packed a lot in in two days!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 22, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A flying visit, but it really did seem worth it. A visit to SOL and then One World, the views are stunning and I loved all your photos. I can't believe how much you packed in to your 2 days in NYC. What a fab idea.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Another amazing day! There are just so many iconic things to see and do in NYC!
We chose the ones we really wanted to do and tried our best.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 22, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A lovely trip well worth doing

Joan
Im so glad Matt booked it now.
Old 14 Jun 22, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A flying visit, but it really did seem worth it. A visit to SOL and then One World, the views are stunning and I loved all your photos. I can't believe how much you packed in to your 2 days in NYC. What a fab idea.
One World was a stand out, its stunning.
Matt does have the occasional good idea.
Old 14 Jun 22, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nanna Frozen View Post
I love NYC! You packed a lot in in two days!
We crammed in as much as we could.