Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Jun 22, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile Dublin

Just booked a short break. Never been to Dublin or even Ireland before so any recommendations would be great!

We have booked to stay at the Marker hotel.

Thank you ☺️
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

I don’t know the hotel but would recommend you look at trip advisor travel forum you will find out loads from there. Would recommend booking Guinness Factory and Kilmanhaim Gaol. The zoo was lovely. If eating out then make sure you book in advance particularly at the weekend. If you get a bus from the airport don’t let your luggage out of your site. You can also get a 3 day travel pass for buses and trams at the airport, which used to be from the spar shop and works out cheaper. It is a lovely city, hope you enjoy it.
shona is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Went for my birthday last year. Took carry on luggage and stayed at the Temple Bar, lively but ok mid week. Guinness Storehouse needs to be booked in advance and a great day. Loved it and would go back
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Just booked a short break. Never been to Dublin or even Ireland before so any recommendations would be great!

We have booked to stay at the Marker hotel.

Thank you ☺️
Dublin is great I recommend the Jamieson whiskey tour.

Although dublin is great all round with plenty of bars. Trinity University tour is really good with the book of Kells but you have to book. I loved touring the Uni especially their biology department.

Old 26 Jun 22, 04:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

The Marker Hotel is in Grand Canal Quay area. The actual area is lovely, right by the water but its about a 20 minute walk to Oconnell Street on the north side of the river and Grafton Street area on the south side of the river.

If you are walking, I suggest walking along the river, as the its not really a good area, the other way.

On the river there is The Jennie Johnson, a replica Famine ship. You can take a tour.

On the north side of the river near the Jeannie Johnson there is EPIC Museum, a museum about all the people who left Ireland over the generations.

On O'Connell Street in the GPO, there is museum about 1916 Easter Rising and Modern Irish History.

O'Connell Street main shopping area is Henry Street.

On the south side of the river , Grafton Street area has a big shopping and restaurant area.

Trinity College has The Book of Kells.

I would avoid Guinness Storehouse. Its marketed as a big thing to do , but basically its a 4 storey building telling the history of Guinness and the brewing process. Its a one way self guided tour and then you end up in the bar at the top.

Temple Bar is another place to avoid. I just walk through there to get to somewhere else. Its just full of tourists drinking over priced drinks, thinking how cool is this, while the locals roll their eyes as we avoid the UK hen and stag parties who think this is what you do in Dublin.

One of the hop on hop off bus tours will give you a great overview of the city.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Dublin is great I recommend the Jamieson whiskey tour.

Although dublin is great all round with plenty of bars. Trinity University tour is really good with the book of Kells but you have to book. I loved touring the Uni especially their biology department.
Although on my 2 trips of Dublin I found it overall tacky and very unfriendly I did enjoy both the Guinness and Jaimieson tours (and I dont drink either but the tours were fascinating)

Far nicer, pretty and friendly places to visit like Cork or Belfast
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DS was there last weekend- he said it was very expensive

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Dublin is a good city break but I did find it a bit tacky in places (Temple Bar)

I recommend Guinness Storehouse, Kilmanhaim Gaol, Trinity University and of course a walk over Ha'Penny Bridge

Please give Belfast a go as I loved Belfast and would definitely go back there but I've done Dublin.

Be aware it was very pricey but then again most cities are.