Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Jun 22, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mexico in August/Hotel recommendations?

We had planned to go to California next year, but we've decided against it. We both really fancy Mexico, but I am a bit dubious about the weather. Can anyone who has been in August let me know what the weather was like?

Also, I have read a lot about the Riviera Maya area being better suited to families? Is Cancun a no go? The kids will be 17 & 15, we all like chilling round the pool, DS & DH would be interested in watersports etc, they love snorkelling, DD & I are happy round the pool with a good book. We would like to go to Chichen Itza & Xcaret for day trips, and looking at 10-14 days.

I have no idea where to look at, have been looking at TUI/First Choice as Virgin aren't on sale yet.

I also looked at Jamaica but DH reckons it's not safe to leave the confines of your hotel? So I'm not sure on that!

Can anyone help a clueless girl out?

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

We’ve just booked the royalton riviera cancun resort for next July through TUI, I spent hours searching and reading reviews and finding one at a reasonable price. I also need somewhere that has a good gluten free selection and knowledge as DS is coeliac and this one fitted the bill perfectly!
Not sure about the weather, we are tied to school hols as DS is in GCSE years so keeping fingers crossed!

Edited at 08:06 AM.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We are going this august for the first time! We fly out premium with Tui on the 27th and are staying at the Unico Riviera Maya for 10 nights. I can let you know about the weather when we get back if you like?
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Also we have been to Jamaica and I wouldn’t recommend leaving the hotel without an organised excursion. I have been told the same about Mexico, not sure how true this is but I think the thing with Riviera Maya is that it’s a long coast with spread out hotels so we wouldn’t be out walking about anyway. I guess you could in cancun?
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
Also we have been to Jamaica and I wouldn’t recommend leaving the hotel without an organised excursion. I have been told the same about Mexico, not sure how true this is but I think the thing with Riviera Maya is that it’s a long coast with spread out hotels so we wouldn’t be out walking about anyway. I guess you could in cancun?
Totally off topic but My mum and dad went to Jamaica a few years ago and went to a little cafe just outside the resort, there was a woman in there with her baby and my mum was cooing over it so the woman just left the baby with my mum and dad for about an hour and walked out! Honestly it still makes me laugh thinking about it now 😂
They have been to both and said they much preferred Mexico though.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jfk
Excited about Disney

We stayed in the Iberostar in Cancun and it was lovely, highly recommended. There's a bus stop right outside the hotel and for about $.50 it'll take you right up the hotel zone strip and to the shopping malls. Cancun is fine to get out and about and it's great to get out the hotel which can start to feel a bit claustrophobic after a while. We've also stayed at the Gran Bahia in Tulum which again was lovely but very quiet and not a lot going on around it. You get a lot more US guests in Cancun and the Iberostar was much livelier (and rowdier by the pool bar) than in Tulum.
New York/Villa Highgrove Aug 15
Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 19
jfk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

We have been in July/august a few times the weather is similar to Florida, you can rain for a short period then it stops, we have booked the riu tequila (again) in playacar, for next summer, we have often taken a taxi to the main bar/shop area and felt totally safe. We did go on a trip to cancun last time and I personally prefer the playacar area

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks everyone! When you say the weather is like Florida, do you get enough days to be able to chill round the pool and catch some sun? Does the rain last all day? I guess it's a risk you have to take if going to that region in August isn't it?

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

It’s hot but I don’t think as humid as Florida, we have had days when it rains a little then you may get a couple of hours of heavy rain another day, but not every day and you certainly get plenty of time to spend and the pool

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
caro
Excited about Disney

We stayed at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya a few years back at the end of August. It rained solid for 2 days because of a hurricane.
I was worried before we went because the hotel had some terrible reviews, but we found it to be absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to go back to Mexico - the scenery was stunning and the wildlife amazing.
caro is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List