Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Jun 22, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Queuing tips for child with ADHD tendencies

DS13 is in the very early stages of being assessed for ADHD.

In February, he really struggled with ride queues to the point where he and DH fell out over it and DS ended up in tears. He just can’t cope with such long periods of time standing.

I was thinking about getting him some fidget/puzzle type “toys” to keep him occupied eg. Rubix cube type but don’t want to get anything that is annoying to DH/elder DS and those around us. Also don’t want to get anything too bulky as I have to carry it around all day.

I don’t want to go down the DAS route as he doesn’t have an official diagnosis and I wouldn’t feel right.

I’m also thinking that I’ll send DH and elder DS into the queue a few places ahead of us so that DS13 isn’t bothering them with his restlessness. DH is the most chilled person ever but he really found it difficult to cope with him in Feb - cue the falling out and elder DS has no patience at all so think that would probably be the best option.

Any suggestions to keep him entertained will be great.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
warpig
Apprentice Imagineer

If it’s likely to cause upset and spoil the whole family’s holiday, I would seriously consider going to Guest Services on your first day and talk to them about a das. They won’t ask about a diagnosis and they aren’t allowed to ask for any medical evidence. Just explain you’re sons needs and see what they say, can’t do any harm can it?
2000 All Star Sports, 2002 All Star Sports, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Port Orleans Riverside, 2006 Port Orleans Riverside, 2007 Port Orleans Riverside, 2008 Port Orleans Riverside, 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Saratoga Springs, 2011 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Wilderness Lodge, 2014 Saratoga Springs, 2015 Swan & Dolphin, 2016 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2019 Swan & Dolphin, 2023 Beach Club
warpig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Go online and apply for DAS, be honest if you'd feel better and say he's waiting diagnosis but here's the issues we faced last time. I'm sure you get a sympathetic response and get a couple of rides a day booked in advance to cut down on the stress.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thank you to you both. 👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

I have just done the DAS process it literally took half an hour from start to finish
They ask why you can’t queue not for a diagnosis
I wish we had known about DS difficulties when we went before it would have saved lots of strange looks as DS had a meltdown .
I would urge you to apply it will help you all .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

1. DaS sounds a good fit.
2. Key ring games work well ... mini bop it, or a mini puzzle book / mini whiteboard etc
3. Rearranging pins on a lanyard
4. Have a drink / snack in the queue

And our biggest one was to give each other space in yhe queue ... was that I went in last of my family and held up the queue a little, so that we were not elbow to elbow but had room to move with out bumping! So we had 2m of queue rather than 1m. I would explain to the people behind if I felt I needed to. They always did!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
1. DaS sounds a good fit.
2. Key ring games work well ... mini bop it, or a mini puzzle book / mini whiteboard etc
3. Rearranging pins on a lanyard
4. Have a drink / snack in the queue

And our biggest one was to give each other space in yhe queue ... was that I went in last of my family and held up the queue a little, so that we were not elbow to elbow but had room to move with out bumping! So we had 2m of queue rather than 1m. I would explain to the people behind if I felt I needed to. They always did!
I thinking sending DH and DS ahead would definitely help us. They could always wait at the end for us to catch up. I think because I work with children, a lot of what he does simply washes over me so it doesn’t affect me the same as DH who doesn’t.

Thanks for the tips on games. I’ll check those out. He just needs to be distracted otherwise he’s a cross between a puppy and a monkey. At some points, he will be literally hanging off you. He won’t have a “meltdown” as such but we did have tears in Feb but I think that was more down to DH being grumpy with him rather than his ability to cope in a queue.
Old 26 Jun 22, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I will reiterate what others have said, they are interested in his needs not his diagnosis when determining if he qualifies for a DAS pass.
Old 26 Jun 22, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I think das would be perfect for you and your son, its there to help people like you!
Would your son wear a bumbag? There's lots of smaller fidget toys that would fit in there, tangles, noodles, fidget spinners etc.
Honestly, the das would make your holiday so much easier x
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thank you everyone who has suggested DAS. I will think very carefully about it. It just doesn’t sit right with me when he hasn’t got a diagnosis. (Even though I know they can’t ask for proof.)