Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 30 Jun 22, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
On a serious note, and sorry if I'm hijacking, but I'm renting from Port Canaveral and doing a road-trip down to the Keys, then back up to I-Drive. Can take the scenic A1A on the way down, but will likely hit the Turnpike north of Miami, and due to time, our trip back up to I-Drive will be Turnpike all the way to shorten the journey time.

If I remember right, VTP can only be used on rentals from MCO (can't for example, get one at MCO and then hang it on the car picked up elsewhere?)... Sunpass Pro from the usual my best option? Turnpike website has a toll calculator, so will be roughly aware of how much I'd need to load on in advance.

Ta for any advice.
I hope that this question doesn't require Mastermind knowledge of Tolkien?

Yes you're right that the VTP tag has to be picked up at MCO. There is evidence from some Dibbers that it can be hung from the mirror after leaving the garage and still record transactions but that's incidental.

I think automatic "toll by plate" works on the Turnpike but sadly, as to Sunpass Pro, I've never used one so can't really help.

Does this help?

floridasturnpike/TollCalc/index.htm

Mick

Edited at 08:42 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Cheers Mick, yeah, that's the site I was using to work out the potential Toll.

I'll do a bit more digging on the SunPass side - by the looks of it, there's a charge for the transponder, but the tolls are slightly down on the cash/toll by plate rate?... Guess it'll be a measure of initial outlay versus rental co.s/toll by plate admin.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I hope that this question doesn't require Mastermind knowledge of Tolkien?

Yes you're right that the VTP tag has to be picked up at MCO. There is evidence from some Dibbers that it can be hung from the mirror after leaving the garage and still record transactions but that's incidental.

I think automatic "toll by plate" works on the Turnpike but sadly, as to Sunpass Pro, I've never used one so can't really help.

Does this help?

floridasturnpike/TollCalc/index.htm

Mick
The first time we got Toll Pass I forgot to hang it on mirror until we had left garage. We spoke to them when we got to Villa and all was well. They are one of the most helpful and friendly companies I have ever dealt with.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
The first time we got Toll Pass I forgot to hang it on mirror until we had left garage. We spoke to them when we got to Villa and all was well. They are one of the most helpful and friendly companies I have ever dealt with.
Sue

They've been extremely helpful answering my emails as well during my short career as VTP sales director. The staff at MCO have been good as well.

Mick
Old 30 Jun 22, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Cheers Mick, yeah, that's the site I was using to work out the potential Toll.

I'll do a bit more digging on the SunPass side - by the looks of it, there's a charge for the transponder, but the tolls are slightly down on the cash/toll by plate rate?... Guess it'll be a measure of initial outlay versus rental co.s/toll by plate admin.
From what I've read on here the Sunpass Pro (just like VTP) does give cheaper toll charges than the posted cash rate but I don't know how much the actual kit costs. Again from other Dibbers though it's yours to keep for future trips and you can top up on line for future holidays.

Mick
Old 30 Jun 22, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Feltonshrew
I want to go now!

Rather than start a new thread hopefully someone will answer on this.

I’m only having a car for 10 days in the middle of our holiday.
Will pick up from Disney springs area and the intention is to go to Busch gardens, tampa, Sarasota for a few days.
Then it will be visiting Kennedy space centre.

I haven’t a clue what to do about tolls as we will pick up off site and how many toll roads these journeys will use.

Any help appreciated and costs
Feltonshrew is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Feltonshrew View Post
Rather than start a new thread hopefully someone will answer on this.

I’m only having a car for 10 days in the middle of our holiday.
Will pick up from Disney springs area and the intention is to go to Busch gardens, tampa, Sarasota for a few days.
Then it will be visiting Kennedy space centre.

I haven’t a clue what to do about tolls as we will pick up off site and how many toll roads these journeys will use.

Any help appreciated and costs
First of all have a read of my post #2 above for the options of paying tolls. I'd suggest you stick with options 1 and 2 for your planned trips.

Then have a look at this map which shows all the toll roads and the few where you can't pay cash - notably the Turnpike and you shouldn't get anywhere near that.

sunpass/en/tolls/tollsSunPass.shtml

Halfway down the page is a toll calculator.

Your journeys around Springs and trips to the gulf coast via the interstates should be toll free unless you end up on the Sunshine Skyway over Tampa Bay

You may however use the 528 (Beechline) to get to KSC which is a toll but have a play with the calculator. Maybe 20 years since we went to KSC so cant remember the details. Maybe around $7 each way if you pay cash

Mick

Edited at 09:15 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Stepaway
Serious Dibber

Sorry to hijack but something I can’t work out - we are collecting car at MCO and dropping it off at Port Canaveral, before our own week cruise. We then can drop it off at MCO when we get back a week later but is that ok?
Stepaway is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Stepaway View Post
Sorry to hijack but something I can’t work out - we are collecting car at MCO and dropping it off at Port Canaveral, before our own week cruise. We then can drop it off at MCO when we get back a week later but is that ok?
Yes - collect the tag at MCO and use it until your cruise and make sure you take it out of the car. Hand the tag back when you return to MCO. Make sure the dates on the app are from arrival flight to departure flight.

How are you returning to MCO?

Mick
Old 30 Jun 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
From what I've read on here the Sunpass Pro (just like VTP) does give cheaper toll charges than the posted cash rate but I don't know how much the actual kit costs. Again from other Dibbers though it's yours to keep for future trips and you can top up on line for future holidays.

Mick
We paid 15 dollars plus tax for the sunpass Pro a few months ago.
lovinit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List