Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 30 Jun 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lovinit View Post
We paid 15 dollars plus tax for the sunpass Pro a few months ago.
Is that just for the transponder? Then I assume you have to add $$$$ to it to pay for the tolls? Or is a substantial part of the $15 toll credits?

Mick

Edited at 09:44 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Stepaway
Serious Dibber

Thanks Mick - legend.

We are booking a private transfer. Looked at keeping the car in port parking for the week we are away but it’s more expensive that way
Stepaway is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by lovinit View Post
We paid 15 dollars plus tax for the sunpass Pro a few months ago.
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Is that just for the transponder? Then I assume you have to add $$$$ to it to pay for the tolls? Or is a substantial part of the $15 toll credits?

Mick
Bumping.

It's a genuine question please as I regularly post on toll threads and would love to know how it compares with using VTP.

Mick
Old 4 Jul 22, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Bumping.

It's a genuine question please as I regularly post on toll threads and would love to know how it compares with using VTP.

Mick
From Sunpass dot com:

SunPass Mini is $4.99 + tax, SunPass PRO is $14.95 + tax. Mini is not "movable from car to car", so guess that rules it out for rentals.

"The SunPass PRO™ Portable Transponder costs $14.95 plus tax and allows customers to have tolls electronically deducted from a Prepaid Account."

And from the FAQs:

"Upon activation, a minimum replenishment of $10 is required."

Big spanner in the works for my upcoming hols, we're in the Disney bubble, then a transfer straight on to the cruise ship, then picking up the car from Port Canaveral with the intention of driving straight down to Miami, so a CVS or Walgreens local to Alamo Canaveral will be our only chance to purchase... not sure I fancy trundling around PC just searching a supermarket...

Also, we'd have to make sure the rental co. turn off their Toll-by-Plate transponder to avoid duplicate tolls?
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
From Sunpass dot com:

SunPass Mini is $4.99 + tax, SunPass PRO is $14.95 + tax. Mini is not "movable from car to car", so guess that rules it out for rentals.

"The SunPass PRO™ Portable Transponder costs $14.95 plus tax and allows customers to have tolls electronically deducted from a Prepaid Account."

And from the FAQs:

"Upon activation, a minimum replenishment of $10 is required."

Big spanner in the works for my upcoming hols, we're in the Disney bubble, then a transfer straight on to the cruise ship, then picking up the car from Port Canaveral with the intention of driving straight down to Miami, so a CVS or Walgreens local to Alamo Canaveral will be our only chance to purchase... not sure I fancy trundling around PC just searching a supermarket...

Also, we'd have to make sure the rental co. turn off their Toll-by-Plate transponder to avoid duplicate tolls?
Thanks for that IM

So $15 just buys you the kit with no toll credits on it? Sunpass Pro gives you cheaper tolls. VTP gives you cheaper tolls with no upfront cost. Really struggling to see why Sunpass beats VTP out of MCO.

The other reason I haven't tried Sunpass is that I don't really want to drive out of MCO searching for a shop and by then I'm already through the first toll.

Have a great cruise. We've done three Caribbean out of Florida and our first was from Port Canaveral. Need to do another one day to get the Dutch ABC islands.

Mick

Edited at 12:16 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Thanks for that IM

So $15 just buys you the kit with no toll credits on it? Sunpass Pro gives you cheaper tolls. VTP gives you cheaper tolls with no upfront cost. Really struggling to see why Sunpass beats VTP out of MCO.

The other reason I haven't tried Sunpass is that I don't really want to drive out of MCO searching for a shop and by then I'm already through the first toll.

Have a great cruise. We've done three Caribbean out of Florida and our first was from Port Canaveral. Need to do another one day to get the Dutch ABC islands.

Mick
No reason I can see to choose it over VTP, unless, perhaps, you're a frequent visitor and will re-use from different airports/car pick-ups in the future?

I'd love to say I'd give it a go and report back, but I really think I've 99% talked meself out of it... the initial outlay, setting up an account, mating the transponder to the car (online), pre-loading with enough to cover my tolls with a touch to spare, but not then triggering some auto-reload on a low balance, opting out of/deactivating the rental co.s Toll-by-Plate... all a bit messy, and since our trip down to the Keys will mainly be the coast roads, our only big toll day will be the journey back up to I-Drive on the Turnpike, not sure the savings would be worth the hassle.

PS. Cheers, I'm sure we'll love the cruise - just gotta be really careful in Disney (no mask mandate, but we'll be masking up indoors, in heavy crowds) to avoid picking up Covid and facing a third cancellation...

Edited at 02:27 PM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
No reason I can see to choose it over VTP, unless, perhaps, you're a frequent visitor and will re-use from different airports/car pick-ups in the future?

I'd love to say I'd give it a go and report back, but I really think I've 99% talked meself out of it... the initial outlay, setting up an account, mating the transponder to the car (online), pre-loading with enough to cover my tolls with a touch to spare, but not then triggering some auto-reload on a low balance, opting out of/deactivating the rental co.s Toll-by-Plate... all a bit messy, and since our trip down to the Keys will mainly be the coast roads, our only big toll day will be the journey back up to I-Drive on the Turnpike, not sure the savings would be worth the hassle.
You make it sound so attractive.

Naturally Dibbers like DonnaD have the Sunpass mini which I think is Superglued to your windscreen and she just has a direct debit to add $x a month to it. I also believe that regular visitors and owners like Helen (Gryff) use the pro.

But as you said the fact that you have to enter your car details etc - I rarely look at my car plate until I'm parked on the villa drive. Incidentally I don't think you can disengage "toll by plate". Using the Sunpass, VTP or paying cash have supremacy over it though and you shouldn't ever pay twice.

Mick