Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 May 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Red tide is a natural occurrence off Fl Gulf waters usually between Nov to Feb. Unfortunately last year saw a terrible time for all in WSW Fl due to the release of cyanobacteria (blue/green algae) laden waters that clashed with red tide devastating so much of the coastlines marine life, over 10% (700+) of Fl's manatee for example. Cyanobacteria tends to grow due to every conceivable run-off from northern Fl, thro Orlando and into Lake O, from human waste (broken septics) to animal waste to Roundup and phosphates from Mosaic to sugar factory discharges, basically everything ends up in Lake O where it ferments, along come the summer rains, Lake O hits 17 feet and the Army Corp of Engineers open the gates releasing that filth, generally, West. Cyano meets red tide = WSW Fl is in the clarts. They were releasing both East and West but substantially reduced releases to the East, some say due, in part, to Trumps, Mar-a-Lago, Palm Beach, Fl home on the East coastline.

Having returned from Bokelia today, apparently red tide has been sitting a few miles out for well over a year, and whilst we've had a superb winter without a sniff of red tide, even when out boating in the Gulf, many are very concerned at the visible thick covering of cyanobacteria that will be released into the Caloosahatchee River this summer. Whilst we stay on the north end of the island the winter fishing hasn't been too bad, tho the damage saw Pine Island Fisheries close after 60+ years as they couldn't buy/sell seafood, it also caused the demise of individual commercial fishermen, plus many stopped eating seafood. 17 miles south in St James City it's dire, an avid fisherman who heads out at least 4 times a week during his circa 4 month, Jan to May stay caught 6 fish in those 4 month! Saint James City Fish House are barely hanging in, another summer of filth ridden waters will finish that business too.

Here's hoping WSW Fl don't see another meeting of red tide and cyano as it may cause the demise of more commercial fishing businesses and further devastation for visitors.

Edited at 04:37 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

We are here now and there is no sign of red tide at all, been on the beach all day, no smell, no dead fish, no breathing problems. It is beautiful here at the moment.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
That’s really helpful thanks. How long are you staying?👍
We’ve been here for nearly 3 weeks, go home on Saturday.

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
paulr
Proud to wear my Ears

On AMI now and it’s glorious, no sign of red Tide
paulr is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by paulr View Post
On AMI now and it’s glorious, no sign of red Tide
Fabulous to know! I am counting down the days 😍

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
Fabulous to know! I am counting down the days 😍
Hi Helen, I reckon you'll be reet Red tide is way out there, we didn't face any issues between Nov to May, or when out boating, as the heavy rains haven't kicked off the Army Corp of Engineers aren't releasing Lake O water yet. Unfortunately Lake O has a huge glob of floating cyanobacteria and the West coast may see some fallout once releases start, but that's some way off.

Have a smashing holiday Helen, rest, relax, but remember to take more water with it

Edited at 11:18 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Im so keeping my fingers crossed for early August when we arrive in Cape Coral!
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Me too for Bradenton beach
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We were in Naples last year and went to the beach that was empty (couldnt work out why! )I went into the water up to my waist. Didn’t know about the red tide although the dead fishes around the edge should have been a warning sign 🙄🙄🙄
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kinggie View Post
We were in Naples last year and went to the beach that was empty (couldnt work out why! )I went into the water up to my waist. Didn’t know about the red tide although the dead fishes around the edge should have been a warning sign 🙄🙄🙄
This was us too! We only realised when we arrived in Cape Coral. We still had a good time but shame about the beaches x