Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jun 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
talk talk
Getting Excited

It’s just a service like many others we have to pay for. Why single the over 75’s for an exemption? Really need to look at the whole tax and social care funding systems rather than get emotional over the TV license fee!
Lindfields Villa - November 1998
Terra Verde Villa - June 2019

Edited at 07:00 PM.
talk talk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
That's the point I was making, it is going to be means tested...
It is mentioned in the news reports if people in general read all of the report not just jump up and down on the headline bullet point.
Good point, well made

Disney332
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Last week the over 75s were heros for winning two World Wars now the government and the BBC are going to rob them of their tv licenses. Fame and respect if there was any doesn't last long?
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm fuming for people like my dad. He's 85 and worked as a joiner on the buildings for 50 years - he never earned a fortune but paid into a small union pension scheme and because this takes him JUST over the threshold for 'credits' he pays fully for everything - rent in his bungalow etc. Actually his neighbours without this small pension are actually better off than him, taking his outgoings into account. He and my mum (died 2 years ago) have never been able to claim a penny for anything and the TV licence was his only 'perk'. Now as he doesn't claim credit of any kind he'll be paying for this too.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

It is cruel on the genuine pensioners in poverty. My Uncle is living on the bread line but refuses to claim any benefits, even though he is entitled to them. He is 85 and mom is 80 and she often buys him food and treats, as do we when we visit. He has an old TV, the ones in a box ( not flat screen, don't know what they are called) he just has a a freeview box that we brought him after the analogue arial was turned off, and only ever watches BBC or Channel 4
He watches the news and one political chat show a week, why should he have to pay over £100 for that !
He has said he will get "shot of the TV" as he won't be able to afford it and out of principle.
we will obviously pay it for him but that is not the point
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
scruffycharlie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
I'm fuming for people like my dad. He's 85 and worked as a joiner on the buildings for 50 years - he never earned a fortune but paid into a small union pension scheme and because this takes him JUST over the threshold for 'credits' he pays fully for everything - rent in his bungalow etc. Actually his neighbours without this small pension are actually better off than him, taking his outgoings into account. He and my mum (died 2 years ago) have never been able to claim a penny for anything and the TV licence was his only 'perk'. Now as he doesn't claim credit of any kind he'll be paying for this too.
I totally agree with you, my dad is the same here, its the ones that are just over and can't get pension credit that will suffer.
scruffycharlie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Last week the over 75s were heros for winning two World Wars now the government and the BBC are going to rob them of their tv licenses. Fame and respect if there was any doesn't last long?
Can we stop this "all pensioners fought in the war" myth?
To have served in ww2 you'd be at least 90, and most likely male.
Bundling anyone over 75 in is as insulting as ignoring those who actually did serve.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Maybe it would be fairer to look at who is in the household if you want to reduce the number of free licences available. It could be the homeowner has to be over 75 so multi generational households don't benefit - blimey that looks a mean statement though doesn't it?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Many pensioners would not want to go through the process of claiming credit even if they were eligible. They would find it humiliating. Many pride themselves on ‘not relying on anyone else’.

It might be better if they had introduced this change gradually - eg anyone who is now 75 or over still gets it, but no new applicants?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Just wondering how much administering who pays & who doesnt will cost.
Probably a considerable amount of the projected savings.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List