Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
If it’s any crumb of comfort, we’ve had two go to uni and it’s even tougher when they return home and you and them are adjusting back again.
I remember this with our older boys. They found it very difficult even in holiday time to adjust to regular mealtimes and other routines that they had grown up with 😔 One of them moved back for around a year after uni whilst he looked for work too and that was very challenging for all of us.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 158
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I remember this with our older boys. They found it very difficult even in holiday time to adjust to regular mealtimes and other routines that they had grown up with 😔 One of them moved back for around a year after uni whilst he looked for work too and that was very challenging for all of us.
DD is home and is really struggling with her sleep pattern, sometimes not going to sleep until 4 or 5am.
Old Key West August 2012
Port Orleans Riverside August 2014
NY/HRH and Beach Club July/Aug 2016
disneylover43 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
If it’s any crumb of comfort, we’ve had two go to uni and it’s even tougher when they return home and you and them are adjusting back again.
Yes, same here and it’s painful sometimes 😖 So proud that she has graduated as a Primary teacher and got her first job ... just didn’t think it would be back home lol.

We are adjusting slowly but she misses her uni friends very much. Her old friends from home have now moved on in that they are either now mums or are in relationships.

She wants to open up a House Buying ISA now which is great ... but does that mean we have her back home for the next 5 years? 😳😱😂
Col&Ali is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneylover43 View Post
DD is home and is really struggling with her sleep pattern, sometimes not going to sleep until 4 or 5am.
Our eldest son was the same. He was used to very late nights at uni, not just partying (although he did plenty of that 😂 ) but he used to stay up late playing games and even revising 😀 . He found it very difficult to understand that we went to bed 10 or 11 pm (as we always had before he went to uni)
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DD was at home for a year after four years at University, working locally and it was really lovely having her. We did have to try not to treat her like a 15 year old though. She bought a small car which made her more independent as there is poor transport where we live.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneylover43 View Post
Mine are home and I'm really struggling with their sleep pattern. I'm in bed by 11 and up at 5:30. They are pretty much the opposite for the times that they are out of their rooms. Other than fridge raiding of course, they like to have loud speaker phone conversations with people at 2am. I am less keen.

Sorry, whole other thread.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rhyger
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Well he's gone 😢 We took our ds today to uni about 2hrs away, the estate loaded to the roof with stuff! His room is lovely and we met the 4 others on his corridor who all seemed lovely too so despite my tears, it couldn't have gone any better. I messaged to say we were home and he said they were all sorting their stuff into the kitchen cupboards so he's not sat in his room sobbing! There seemed to be the same things - cereal, crisps, various bottles and no sign of any fruit or veg 😀
So that's that.
What a year it has been for everyone - personal statement, interviews, exams, decisions. This forum has helped so much with what to do, when to do it and general advice when he's had a wobble so thank you to all who contributed. Wishing all of you, parents and children, happy times. Quite weary now so think I'm ready for something to eat, drink and a soak in the bath!
rhyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by rhyger View Post
Well he's gone 😢 We took our ds today to uni about 2hrs away, the estate loaded to the roof with stuff! His room is lovely and we met the 4 others on his corridor who all seemed lovely too so despite my tears, it couldn't have gone any better. I messaged to say we were home and he said they were all sorting their stuff into the kitchen cupboards so he's not sat in his room sobbing! There seemed to be the same things - cereal, crisps, various bottles and no sign of any fruit or veg 😀
So that's that.
What a year it has been for everyone - personal statement, interviews, exams, decisions. This forum has helped so much with what to do, when to do it and general advice when he's had a wobble so thank you to all who contributed. Wishing all of you, parents and children, happy times. Quite weary now so think I'm ready for something to eat, drink and a soak in the bath!
Big hugs to you, I can tell by your post how difficult it has been for you 😢 I’m pretty sure I will feel exactly the same in two weeks time.

It’s good news that your son has started chatting to others in his halls too. They are all in the same boat and will be able to keep each other company and then start to build their friendship groups i’m sure.

Try to have a nice restful evening now, I think a nice glass of wine is in order to congratulate yourself for keeping it together today xx
Old 7 Sep 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rhyger View Post
So that's that.
Oh goodness, what a day for you! I will be exactly in the same boat next Sunday and dreading it, not sure I will be able to hold back the tears.

Lovely to hear that they were all sorting out the cupboards etc after all they are all in the same boat as each other so will all be feeling the same.

I did smile when you said no fruit/veg!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Maxymoo
Excited about Disney

Well I have left him! He seemed fine, no one else had moved in his flat yet- they must all be coming tomorrow but he was going down to a pizza party when I left. We had to walk to the library to get his student card and saw where his lectures will be so I think he is more confident where he is going. It was actually easier than I thought because he seemed to be ok! Although he looked much younger than the rest I think because he still only 17.

Yes and we bypassed the fruit and veg aisle too but bought plenty of noodles and pasta!

Edited at 07:56 PM.
Maxymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List