Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 21 Jun 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
metopicmamma
I want to go now!

starting to plan ... HELP!

its very early in our plans , we havnt even got past the is this even possible stage !

our group would be 1 able bodied adult , 1 wheelchair bound adult (paralysed waist down) 1 13 year old with ADHD/AUTISM 1 10 year old

firstly do people think this is even possible ?

ive had a good look at the sites and it does look like it could be but i have a few things im wondering if people can help with .

looking at rooms i cant find one with a wheelchair accessible shower , as the main carer i just find it easier to shower everyone.

do these rooms exist ?

i found one with a florida somthing but it didnt mention a shower .

wheelchair accessible with tub ... does it have a hoist ? i could do that at a push .

we are looking at staying on site so i dont have to drive abroad ... the very idea of an autistic meltdown while im on the "wrong" side of the road scares me .

what is the onsite transport like ?

is it possible to rent a wheelchair if we need one ?

has anyone got experience of flying with a lightweight fixed frame chair ? the wheels come off but thats it . would we need a special bag for it ?
how would dh get on the plane ? off the plane? toileting i can manage its no longer than a night at home (we have 12 hour pads )
would the wheelchair meet us at the door of the plane ?

sorry for so many questions im just trying to get my head round is this even possible .
metopicmamma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi,
yes its very possible

The onsite hotels do have wheelchair accessible rooms-which ones are you thinking of staying at?

wheelchair accessible with tubs do not have hoists-although you can hire hoists from an off site company.

Im pretty sure all hotels have a few rooms with roll in showers- this is the type of room we get. They only tend to put this info on the US site. If you need help booking something like this, let me know and i'll tell you how weve done it the past few times.
We tend to book the package direct with Disney UK, its generally just easier and usually cheaper. we usually book the flights direct with Virgin ourselves-just so we can organise the extra details ourselves.

we don't drive either.
On site transport is very good. again it depends on where youre staying. We tend to visit Magic Kingdom a lot, so we decided to stay at Disneys Contemporary resort. It has a short walk to MK plus the monorail system-although that seems to have a few issues recently with breaking down.
The buses are wheelchair accessible, they can take 2/3 at a go. sometimes there are loads of people with scooters, so occasionally you have to wait for the next bus.
Theres also boats from some resorts, some of these have wheelchair access too.
If you venture out to other theme parks or shopping. you can hire a cab, with wheelchair access.
If youre planning on visiting SeaWorld- we buy tickets at the gate. for 1 disabled person and 1 carer the tickets are half price.

yes you can rent a wheelchair if needed.
you can hire them daily from the parks- however most people tend to hire them from offsite companies.
look in the FAQ section for info.
Im guessing this is just a back up? just in case your current one is broken.

flying with a wheelchair-
our sons wheelchair does not fold in any way. Parts can be removed but I don't remove anything.
When we book, we contact the airlines special assistance and let them know the details. Usually they want things like weight of chair, weight of user & chair measurements.
Our son then keeps his chair until the airplane doors.
its then taken to the hold.
At the end of the flight, we're usually kept until the end and then the chair is bought to the airplane doors.
they have onflight wheelchair to assist with seating-theyre very narrow and the staff aren't allowed to lift at all.
Some airport do have special hoists to seat people on the plane but weve not used this yet. theres some videos on youtube.

Toileting-not brilliant. we tend to use the toilets at the gate just before boarding and then just after immigration when we get off but its a long time.
They do have an onboard accessible toilet but its not too great. Basically the middle section toilets are opposite each other with a corridor in between. 1 of the doors opens outwards to block off the corridor-this allows someone more room to assist with toileting.

hope that helps?
had to write mega quick as just started to watch something, so may not totally make sense
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
metopicmamma
I want to go now!

Thankyou so much for all the information x its making me feel a lot more like i can do this .

the wheelchair there wold only be needed incase of breakdown ! in the past we have had a caster snap off the regular chair and then we are totally stuck.
metopicmamma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

youre welcome

when are you thinking of going?
Have you got a hotel in mind yet?

Im not saying its going to be easy but its not as difficult as you can imagine.
On our last trip our son was 15/16 and at the stage where he's becoming too heavy to lift in and out of rides all the time.
We had almost come to the decision that it could well be one of our last trips.
However last time we made use of any ride he could remain in his wheelchair-there were more than I thought. I tried to take some pictures but not many good ones came out.

This topic may also be helpful for your 13 year old
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=745661

I know what you mean about wheelchair.
I always worry about what if something goes wrong. We usually hire a chair for the shower from a company called Caremedical. so we have contact details for them if we need help with the wheelchair.
Also the hotel will do their best to help you. Im sure they have spare wheelchairs about if needed.

Happy planning.xx
Old 23 Jun 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
metopicmamma
I want to go now!

thanks again x x

we will have to save very hard for this so looking at summer 2020 , summer 2019 my son is due more major surgery so we figure as that one will be totally written off with surgery and recovery we will go mad the following summer .

hotel wise someone has said somthing called saratoga ? is very good but im very open to ideas .

our family dynamics are quite complex ! dad and i coparent dont live together so its finding a hotel /villa whatever where if needs be two double beds and we take a child each .

rides wise son can get on and off them with just a guiding hand and the wheelchair bound one can sort himself out ! hes been in it a while and is extremely determined and independant .

shower wise im told if we get one that is wheelchair accessible it will have a bench he can sit on ? i can use the same bench for ds when im doing him.

toileting on the plane isnt an issue as its no longer than a night is at home he manages then.
Old 24 Jun 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I checked with my son and he says the shower does have a fold down bench in

Saratoga Springs is quite popular with a few I know.
Its near Disney Springs, which is a type of Disney shopping village with loads of restaurants.

Saratoga, has rooms which have 1 queen bed and 1 double sofa.
For extra they do also have a 1 bed studio which has 1 king bed in a bedroom and then the queen sofa bed in the living room.

Disney have a few resorts like this which are part of their DVC, so theyre set up for that. A lot of other resorts do have the rooms with 2 main beds and some have a day bed as well.

I love our hotel as it is good for us. I do realise it is one of the most expensive but we prefer to go less often and stay there, than go anywhere else.
The hotels near Epcot are good too. you can walk to Epcot via their alternative entrance and theyre not too far from DHS.

2021 is going to be a popular year and lots of extra events are expected due to WDW celebrating 50 years

What I would personally do now. Is look at WDW uk and price up for next summer. learn about the pricing and package-such as the dining plan, the different hotels and areas. work out where you think is a good location.
Flights aren't available until 11 months out, so id look for them in September or around then. just to get an idea of prices.
usually we fly with Virgin Atlantic as they've always been great to us.
Id also do the same next summer, work out when things are released
and see how much the price has increased. just to allow for a similar price increase the following year.

I think its something like this-

Jan- Disney UK and most travel agents release holidays for the following year
April/May-Disney UK, Free dining is released. This depends on which hotel you stay at, to which dining plan you get. (this is when we book)
June- WDW US, start to release their holidays for the following year.
At this point, you can then book the disabled rooms.
(usually we call up Disney UK to get them to add the disabled room to our booking)

To get to the US site and see the type of disabled rooms available. Go to
disneyworld.disney.go/

At the top go to English (uk & Ireland)
click and change to United states English