Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Jan 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Wilderness Lodge Explorers - October / November 2017: Day 3: Magic Kingdom and Moonshine

Day Three - Magic Kingdom, Target and Homecomin’ - Saturday 28 October 2017

Index

We got up around 6am and had a coffee and orange juice on our balcony, the view looked even more beautiful in the morning sun.

We surprised the kids with the matching t shirts we’d bought from Main Street Press (not sure how many more years they will let us do that but for the time being they are on board and loved them!)

We were now ravenous so before heading to the park, we stopped by Roarin’ Forks. We ordered two Roaring Breakfast Platters to share which consisted of Scrambled Eggs, Hash Browns, Smokehouse Sausage, Bacon and a Ham Biscuit. We also picked up a Bear Claw to try and a chocolate chip muffin. This used two quick service credits as we replaced the drinks with the snacks.

The Bear Claw was a new treat exclusive to WL of a bear claw shaped pastry filled with cinnamon sugar and nuts and was gorgeous.

The breakfast platter was so yummy, we all enjoyed it (apart from I’m the only one who likes biscuits in our family!)

Suitably full we we felt ready for a day at Magic Kingdom! We headed back to our room to drop off the refillable mugs and went the long way round to take a few pics on the way!

Hello!

I mean, look!

There were only a few people ahead of us in the line for the boat which took you directly to MK and a boat turned up after a few minutes. It was a stunning sunny day but it still wasn’t very hot.

We boarded the boat and took a leisurely cruise across seven seas lagoon to Magic Kingdom.

As we disembarked the boat we joined the separate security line specifically for the resort boats arriving at that dock, there were two separate ones to go through so there was never much of a line and it was a huge advantage as you didn’t have to go through the main security bit which meant we could walk straight up to scan our magic bands!

It felt amazing to be back in our happy place. We had a few matching t shirt pictures on the way up Main Street (as you do!)

Our first stop - Tomorrowland!

I had been wanting to have a pic of the famous “purple wall” of Instagram fame so had a mini photo shoot before we started any rides…

Andy wasn’t joining in with the whole Instagram wall thing but was a willing photographer and joined in with this pic

Disnerds…assemble!

First Disney ride of the holiday? Buzz Lightyear! It was a walk on at this time of day (just after park opening)

Next up - a relaxing spin on the TTA People mover! It felt so good to be back.

We noticed Space Mountain had a ten minute wait so joined the queue

Next, we had heard about the Driver’s licence photo booths outside Tomorrowland Speedway on a TrimTracker vlog and the girls were really keen and were happy to spend $5 of each of their spending money on them. You get a little credit card style licence to keep but if you just wanted the pic it might be free as it had been added to our Memory Maker too.

Here they are:

Now they had their own driving licences, where better to go than the Tomorrowland Speedway to put them to the test, which just so happened to be our first fast pass of the day!

After a bumpy trip around the track and a lungful of fumes we were ready for a break

We had spotted the Cheshire cat tail doing the rounds online and couldn’t wait to give it a try from the Cheshire Cat Cafe. It’s essentially a chocolate twist with icing and it was gorgeous! We used a snack credit and shared it between the four of us.

We had a bit of spare time before our next fast pass so hopped on for a spin in the teacups

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 08:34 AM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Then a browse in Big Top Souvenirs, taking pictures of potential spending money purchases such as these little beauties

It was finally time for our FP+ on Goofy’s Barnstormer. We asked if the girls were allowed to sit next to each other and the attendant said yes so they got on in one carriage and we got in the one behind them. Then, as they were doing the seating checks another attendant said “wait! are your parents here?” to the girls. They nodded and pointed at us then the CM released everyone’s restraints and said “you need to sit parent, child, parent, child!” and made up swap. They were acting as if we had purposefully broken a rule but the other CM had just told us we could sit like that! I tried to explain that but he was too busy re-seating us and getting the ride moving. They were fine on their own on Woody's Nuthouse Coaster!

Anyway, in our correct seating allocations we managed an on-ride selfie (impressive considering how long the ride lasts, right?)

Another thing on our “must eat / drink” list was Lefou’s brew. We had never tried it before so we picked one up for a snack credit to share.

It was very nice, especially the foam but it was no Butterbeer

We decided to pop on and ride Little Mermaid as it was a walk on

We were getting peckish now and were planning on a quick service meal and Peco’s Bill was taking our fancy so we took a stroll in that direction…

It was so busy but we did manage to find a table. We went for two adult meals (2 QS credits) to share and topped up for free at the toppings bar

We chose the Fajita Platter - served with Spicy Barbacoa Beef and Seasoned Chicken with Yellow Rice, Beans, Fajita Vegetables and Flour Tortillas and Beef Nachos - Tortilla Chips topped with Queso, Seasoned Ground Beef, Lettuce and Tomato

As we were only doing half a day today to ease ourselves in it was time to head off via Adventureland

We wanted to pick up some stuff from Target so as we were carless and were planning to get a taxi to the Rolling Oaks Boulevard Target we thought we may as well get a bus to the closest resort - AKL!

We hopped on the bus

We arrived at AKL and immediately hailed one of the waiting taxis. It was a five minute or so taxi ride to Super Target and we hopped out.

Our aim was to get some snacks and drinks for the holiday and some pumpkin spice items for me to take home

But first - browsing round the Halloween stuff!

Pizza costume

Burger costume

Unicorn

Cat

Pet costume

Some of the PSL goodies available

I bought PSL coffee creamers, pumpkin spice oreos and some pumpkin pie filling for a recipe I was planning and Andy and the girls got lots of treats but I forgot to take pics. I also got the top I was hoping to find that I had seen online!

Basically basic

Annoyingly there was no wi-fi at Target (unlike Publix as I was informed by Jo afterwards!) and my phone wouldn’t connect the call to the taxi company so we were almost stranded at Target! Luckily Andy went inside and asked customer services to call us a cab. They did and one arrived within about 10 minutes. Crisis over.

We got a ride back to WL, put our stuff away and got changed ready for dinner that night which was at Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ Florida Kitchen in Disney Springs. We were so excited for this meal and had seen so many reviews, blogs and vlogs on it and had already eyed up some of the dishes we had to try…

We caught a bus from WL to DS and walked straight there

We checked in and were seated near the bar

We were planning on a cocktail each and I decided I wanted to try something unusual so requested the Berry Lavender - Fresh strawberries and raspberries muddled with rosemary lavender vodka, lemon juice, honey syrup, and garnished with rosemary and a lemon twist

Unfortunately they were out of the vodka so we settled for a Moonshine Margarita (on tap) each which is what Andy was going to order anyway.

It was pretty good but I did have my heart set on the other one!

To start we all shared the Thigh High Chicken Biscuits (THESE biscuits everyone liked for some reason!) Described as - three biscuits topped with Chef Art's famous fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles. Drizzled with hot honey

Untitled by Kate, on Flickr

They were SO GOOD! I could've had that for a main (which I understand you can request!)

For main, Andy had Art’s Famous Fried Chicken - Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, a cheddar drop biscuit and love

Andy thought it was really good but struggled near the end. Maybe we shouldn’t have gone for a starter first

I just had to have the Fried Chicken and doughnuts (I know, I know, it sounds weird but it was LUSH!)

Two pieces of Chef Art Smith's famous fried chicken served with house-made sugar doughnuts and creamy mashed potatoes

Oh my! It’s one of those dishes that you are so full you can’t finish but you don't want to leave it because it tastes so good! I didn't manage to finish mine. Gutted!

The girls had the fried chicken sandwiches

They said it was really yummy.

Andy and I were too full for dessert so opted to take them to go as they came with the dining plan (1TS credit per person here, we paid for alcohol and starter separately) but the girls managed to have theirs there - doughnuts and ice cream, which went down well, although they didn’t manage it all and I forgot pics.

As we were taking them to go we basically had a choice of cakes. I went for the shine cake - a butter cake soaked with moonshine syrup and Andy had Auntie’s Chocolate Cake - A light and smooth chocolate cake that is layered and topped with chocolate-pecan frosting.

Overall I loved it here and would definitely go again. Full to the brim, we rolled our way out of the front door and out into Disney Springs.

It’s so pretty here at night.

We had a little browse around World of Disney and went to pick up our $200 gift card. Unfortunately there was a huge delay in getting this as a miserable English woman was kicking OFF about something to the only person who was able to distribute the vouchers. I kid you not, she was absolutely going for it. We contemplated giving up several times but we weren’t planning on coming back here for a few days so felt like we had no choice but to wait as we wanted our money!

The poor CM she was berating I literally don’t know what she wanted from him! And do you know what it was about? The fact she had been told that there was Halloween merchandise at Disney Springs by someone at a park and she got here and there was hardly any. Yep. That’s it!

People in the queue were loudly huffing and sighing but it was about half an hour before she left the CM alone and Andy got served. You’re on holiday love, calm down! The girls and I managed to bide our time browsing the store and meeting a lovely guide dog named Jafar whose owner kindly let the girls pet but poor Andy was stuck with the other customers hearing this moaning old whinge-bag drone on about nothing. :angry:

We finally got our gift card but were still feeling pretty full and pretty tired so decided to leave the exploring to another night and caught the bus back.

We got ready for bed and Andy and I decided to tuck into our cakes. Andy had to share his with the girls as they are chocolate fiends but as mine had Moonshine in it, it was all mine!

Andy said his was amazing. Unfortunately mine was very disappointing, I couldn't taste the shine in it at all and it just tasted like plain old, slightly soggy pound cake to me! I left the rest after a couple of bites. Andy tried mine and agreed with my review. Should've gone for the Hummingbird cake as I hear that one is a winner!

Off to bed for some well earned rest. Tomorrow: Animal Kingdom!

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 12:19 AM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile

Loving your report so far, we’re off to Wildnerness Lodge in June for the first time with our two boys (a bit younger than your girls), so it’s great to hear about the resort - it looks lovely!

Loving the matching t shirts- don’t think my husband would wear one, but may see if I can get something similar for me and my boys 😄

Looking forward to reading the rest
LauraE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Love your report so far
Old 10 Jan 18, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Fantastic day. Homecoming sounds lovely- need to add that to the list!😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great day your evening meal sounded lovely

Joan
Old 10 Jan 18, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Love it all! You're really making me fall in love with wilderness lodge even more - hope we can stay there!
Great MK pics. Your matching shirts are so cool.
Whiny people are just the worst (especially when there was clearly no need for it!)
Great food day - love Pecos bills and loved Homecomin' although I have to agree with you about the cake sadly.
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Diznerds-love it! Tees and magic bands look great.

What a fab day, you really are the PSL Queen.

We loved Homecomin’ too & still berate myself for not manning up and having a slice of hummingbird cake! Xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LozzaManse
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Loving this report! We stayed at Wilderness Lodge last May and it’s taking me right back! I miss it! Love all your trip reports!
LozzaManse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Dinner looks amazing! Definitely one to add to the list.

Love the matching t-shirts , I hope the girls let you do this for years to come xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List