Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jun 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile New England with young children?

Hi, we’ve just got back from Florida and I am keen to plan next year’s holiday! We’re looking to go somewhere different and thogiht maybe New England/ Cape Cod area. I don’t really know where to start with planning a trip like this, does anyone have any advice on places/areas to stay?

There’s myself and husband and then two boys (5 and 2), I think we’d be looking to go for 2 weeks and go to prob 3/4 different places whilst we’re there, and happy to do a bit of driving.

Has anyone done anything similar with a young family who has any recommendations please? Kids love the beach and we’re happy to do hotels or cottages/houses.

Thanks in advance.
LauraE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 18, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed green jacket resort West Yarmouth last year, nice resort but request a refurbed room.
Old 26 Jun 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks, will check it out. Was there much to do I’m the surrounding area?
LauraE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LauraE View Post
Thanks, will check it out. Was there much to do I’m the surrounding area?
My kids were a little bored, but they are older, kids your age will be great.
We went to Hyannis, rode the bikes up through Hyannis, went to a great beach where you walked over sand flats for quarter of a mile to the sea (kids loved that), went mini golfing pirate golf, took the ferry to Martha's Vineyard (enjoyed trip v much ). It was nice to visit. We combined it with a NYC and Hershey trip last summer. Weather was variable in Cape Cod, they call it New England for a reason! You can go whale watching. 4 nights was enough. Really enjoyed it though. Some pictures of resort. Sorry called Green Harbor by Red Jacket. These are hotel bottom. one is view at back of cottage we stayed in.

Edited at 10:49 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Looks great, thank you!
Old 27 Jun 18, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We went, but our kids were much older.

This is a trip report by Princess Alison which I enjoyed before we went. Her children are younger, so may help.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=744188
Old 27 Jun 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile

Brilliant, thanks, know what I’ll be doing tonight!
Old 27 Jun 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

We vacationed on the Cape when my kids were younger for a week-ten days and never ran out of things to do, especially if the kids enjoy nature. Boston has many, many good activites for young children-the Museum of Science, Children's Nuseum and Aquarium to start. We also spent a bit of time at Franklin Park Zoo but I am now a grandmother so things may have changed.

If you visit New England, you are not confined to Massachusetts. NH and Maine are an easy hour's drive north, Rhode Island less than an hour south.

As ponted out, the weather is quite changable. It's been beautiful with some rain but highs in the 70's (f). It may get close to 80 today but we have a hot spell coming in this weekend, hitting 90 for up to 5 days. That's the nice thing about our summers, even hot spells are pretty short and nights are nice and cool (50 F and good sleeping weather).

My grandchildren are 2 and 4 and IMHO do not spend enough time in New England. I can never share with them all the things I did with my kids.

ETA: we always got a house on the Cape. They tend to rent Saturday to Saturday and you can get through a site like VRBO or a specialty realtor,

Edited at 03:07 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks, that is really useful, I am beginning to realise there is a lot in and around the area and it’ll probably be a case of narrowing down what we want to do, rather than not having enough to do!

My husband is not one for a sitting around the pool type holiday, so this looks like a great option for us to spend some time at the beach, in the country and in a city too. And the benefit of a shorter flight that Orlando 😄.

Good point about the weather, I hadn’t really considered that, but sounds like it will be fine and a lot more comfortable than the Florida heat.
Old 27 Jun 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

For the most part we have far from Florida heat but it is often cool. Our less than perfect weeks on the cape were cold and rainy-mostly because there are limited things to do on those days-bowling alleys and movies would be sold out.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List