Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Nov 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Has anyone built their own computer?

And if you have, do you need any special tools? Or can you recommend something that was really useful?

My son has been saving up for over a year, and after Christmas is hoping to have everything he needs to put everything together.

He's getting a few components as presents, and some cash from us. But I'd really like to surprise him with some 'must have' tools, or similar.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

TIA x
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I build all my and families PC's. You need a set of what I would call small screwdrivers as some of the screws are fiddly. For me thats about it really. An anti-static mat I suppose could be handy.

What you do need is patience, a plan to follow step by step and expect it not to work first time! You just need to be logical.

Actually just thought of something. You need light to see the motherboard pins and a magnifying glass to read some of the text on the board. I know that sounds like a joke but I for one do need it. Sometime in particular the tiny power cables going to power the fans etc can be difficult to read.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Anti static work mat and earth strap for wrist. This all takes static electricity away from components and user. Without you can kill some things like memory or processor chips.
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Anti static mat and wrist strap would be the main one. Other than that a small screwdriver set as that's about it tool.wisenfor a PC.

smile.amazon/dp/B084YV..._.XVSFbF5P10MR as an example for the anti-static kit.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Oh what fabulous answers! Thanks so much. I've just bought a set of small screwdrivers and a magnifying glass with a light in. I've put the mat thing on his Christmas List.

Really appreciate the answers everyone, thank you
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you can do pretty much everything with a good quality magnetic phillips head screwdriver, an antistatic strap and some long nose pliers. maybe a bendy magnetic/grabber thing for those times you drop a screw into the bottom of the case

but if you want to go a little more elaborate...

i couldnt live without a pack of these in my toolkit to go with my trusty (20+ yr old) black and decker cordless screwdriver... this seems to be nearest to what i have in price/quality, but mine is straight, but i dont see why having a handle/trigger style one would make a difference. if youre constantly taking these things apart, an electric one makes a big difference IMO... amazon/Bosch-Cordl...nguag e=en_GB

if youre doing more than just putting together a full size pc (like trying to repair a phone/tablet/etc) then a good quality bit set is a good idea. i have this one: amazon/iFixit-prec...nguag e=en_GB

a good set of spudgers/opening tools is useful too. this one is cheap and contains a static strap too... amazon/Professiona...nguag e=en_GB

oh, and the aforementioned long nose pliers... amazon/AllRight-Ex...nguag e=en_GB

and a grabber/magnetic pickup tool for grabbing those pesky screws that you dropped... amazon/Rolson-Claw...nguag e=en_GB

a good torch too... maybe one with a magnetic mount you can just stick to the inside of the case when working... i have a couple of these for camping and they are great... amazon/gp/product/...nguag e=en_GB

none of these are essential though, it all depends how fancy you want to go!

Edited at 11:29 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

100% ESD mat & strap

a sackable offense for me not to use one

NB dont use this when connecting PSU or if the system is connected to mains power

& as above a good led torch or angle lamp
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Really brilliant advice, thank you. Links are amazing 👍🏻

(Mr H ready has that cordless Bosch screwdriver, so I expect that will be commandeered!)

Edited at 08:50 PM.
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I would never recommend anyone takes a power tool like an electric screwdriver to a PC build.

Please do it all manually where you can have more control.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I would never recommend anyone takes a power tool like an electric screwdriver to a PC build.

Please do it all manually where you can have more control.
I agree. Although you may need less than 25 screws for the complete build the screws don't need alot of effort to install and I find a manual screwdriver gives me more control but that is my opinion.

The number of screws you need will vary. So in the one I've just built I needed

6 for the motherboard (not forgetting the support pillars)
4 for the psu
1 for the SSD
4 for the 3.5" hard drive
1 for the graphics card
2 for the memory card reader
2x2 for the case sides

I would also invest in some cable ties to keep the wiring neat