Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Nov 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I didn't really know, I thought about mounted police, but my mum said it would be brutal, maybe she was right, I loved riding though! I really enjoyed retail but didn't like the weekend working, I tried to get onto civil service fast stream working in treasury but didn't pass interview, probably a lucky escape!
Fell into teaching, now trying to retrain to become an educational psychologist, which will take a few years but I think will be really interesting.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I was torn between academic research (history) and teaching and applied for both but got accepted for a PGCE and the rest just followed. When I had a career break I did apply for Museum education work but was never successful.
I do love teaching but I still want to do an MA and maybe a PHD at some point.
Old 17 Nov 20, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I was good at athletics at school -ran for the county and wanted to get to the Olympics. This ambition lasted about 2 years when I went to a training session and I saw some girls running the 400m who were so desperate to beat each other the one that won threw up all over the track as she crossed the line with the effort. Person next to me said “that’s commitment” I thought-“that’s nuts!,” and ditched that idea 🤣
My second choice was a sports physio but when I did some work experience at a local hospital they sent me round some other departments to see what they did and I absolutely fell in love with Occupational Therapy. It was my perfect fit. That was 36 years ago. I’m still a registered OT but push a pen now but would do it all again in a heart beat. Great profession but rarely talked about. (Although we did once see an OT on eastenders many years ago-it was awful and inaccurate but hey ho 🙄&#128514

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
I wanted to be an archaeologist or librarian. I had a place to study archaeology at university, got cold feet, deferred a year and swapped to study information & library management closer to home (so saved as I travelled in) I was put off by thoughts of naff weather, mud and no job prospects. Not that librarianship was any better. Didn't end up doing either as a career and went into IT instead.
I did a degree in archaeology and loved it, but my daughter was very young at the time so I would never have wanted to work away from home for weeks on end which you often have to do. It was a toss up at the time between archaeology and law and in some ways I wish I’d chosen law for financial reasons.

I’m now a librarian and some bits I love, but some bits not so much, mainly the politics involved and constant worry about funding.

When I was 19 I really wanted to be an actress and had done amateur stuff and was hoping to go on to study it, but then I met my hubby and my life moved in a different direction.

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

I always wanted to be a translator or doing something with languages. I went to uni and did French and German but have never done anything with it, saved talk French on hols and help daughter with her french homework. I now work in healthcare , a career which has seen me progress from working in the office as an admin assistant to business development and dealing with millions of pounds worth of contracts. I have severe imposter syndrome and always question myself.

It most definitely is not what I envisaged myself doing when I was younger but I do enjoy it (for the most part).
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Always wanted to be a nurse when growing up and I'm a nurse, so yes, very happy.

I had a 16 year career break when my children were growing up and worked in other jobs / industries (fitness industry and ran a jewellery franchise) so feel I've also explored other roles yet always felt pulled back towards nursing so I know it's where I want to be.

Whether I"m in the right kid of nursing, I'm not sure, but it's changed a lot over the years and my current roles fit in with my life perfectly.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I’ve never done a job I really loved/enjoyed as I get bored very quickly, but at least my main job paid well with a good pension and allowed me to retire early so you can’t have everything.

I’m not really sure what job I would have liked to have done, but I’m sure even if I was a commercial Pilot (a job lots of people would like to do) I would have got bored and fed up with the time zones.
A friend actually did this.
He married young and they first fulfilled his now ex wife’s ambition to be a walk around Minnie Mouse by moving to Orlando and getting jobs at WDW in hospitality then she was positioned to audition at the next casting call. He started to log flying hours in between his WDW shifts (he moved to attractions) and attending aviation classes. Eventually got a job with a regional carrier and worked his way up to Captain then moved to JetBlue as a first officer and continues to work towards seniority on bigger jets . Certainly the longer route to get there and he worked incredibly hard to get in and progress but it was always his ambition. He has never got bored ! His next target is to be part of the crew when JetBlue start flying to London next year
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
StarlingFlight
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
I always wanted to be a translator or doing something with languages. I went to uni and did French and German but have never done anything with it, saved talk French on hols and help daughter with her french homework. I now work in healthcare , a career which has seen me progress from working in the office as an admin assistant to business development and dealing with millions of pounds worth of contracts. I have severe imposter syndrome and always question myself.

It most definitely is not what I envisaged myself doing when I was younger but I do enjoy it (for the most part).
I'm also in business development and get really bad imposter syndrome! My boss always says the only bad thing about me is that I question myself unnecessarily.

To answer the question, I thought I wanted to be a teacher but realised I don't really like kids. Started working in a bank after uni and got fed up of it after a few years. I moved to an aerospace company to do entry level sales and worked my way up to business development which I love.
StarlingFlight is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
Yes! Can't remember ever wanting to be anything other than a nurse. I think I'd be lost in any other field of work. I love it and loathe it with equal measure, but simply can't imagine doing anything else. I've never really moved up the ladder so to speak, and still love being 'hands on' 💞
I could have written that about myself but im a midwife 💕

Edited at 10:46 AM.
natanddaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

I wanted to be an investigative journalist. Exposing the bad and helping the good. I work in customer services. Not quite the same...
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List