Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

So it turns out that this morning we are in fact breakfast people!

Everywhere in Gatwick has been heaving, queues of 15+ parties at the Red Lion! So we opted for Comptoir Libanais which we’ve not tried before. It was decorated really nicely and felt like you were abroad.

First, I ordered an orange juice and W an apple juice. Well... this was the apple juice.

Have you ever seen a drink look quite so vile?! 😂 However, don’t judge a book by its cover and it actually tasted good - it reminded me of appletizer when I tried it.

For the food W ordered the Comptoir Breakfast which came with hummus, and I ordered what I thought was a stuffed tomato with feta cheese and an egg. I could not have been more wrong! It was actually a kind of thick soup with chopped tomatoes. It did have the feta and egg on top though! It was good but not what I expected and a little spicy. I ended up swapping with W after eating about half and I enjoyed the potatoes, scrambled egg and sausage on his plate.

Overall it was pretty good and the bill came to £20.69 including a 15% mygatwick discount code. It’s always worth checking their website if you’re a member (or signing up) as you can get some really good deals. Unfortunately I forgot to check before last night’s meal but I’m not sure if we’d have got anything anyway!

Next update will be from sunny Orlando
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Have a great trip! Looking forward to following along
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Following along. Hope your flight is going smoothly. Have a lovely holiday!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Great start!

Looking forward to following along to help overcome our holiday blues.

Have a great time!
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Excited to follow along with you, really fab choices of meals.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Thanks all for your comments so far. Can someone help me out with quoting multiple comments in one post as I’m struggling to do so on my phone?!

Unfortunately the baggage line at Gatwick was malfunctioning this morning which led to us taking off around 1.5 hours later than planned. We feel quite lucky to have had our bags make it to Orlando though, as I know some of the earlier European flights this morning were not so fortunate!

Anyway, onto the food/drinks. Here is the menu for anyone who is interested:

I started off with a vodka and orange juice which came with the usual pretzels, whilst W had a gin and tonic. We both liked the pretzels but could not believe how tiny the bag was - for reference, my hands are smaller than most, so this is no exaggeration!

Before the main meals came around, we snacked on some sweets and malteaser reindeers I had bought from Wilko last week (yes, they are selling reindeers in September!). I was however very upset to learn that by the time they had got to us there was no mac n cheese left, which I had been fancying since we sat down on the plane. We both therefore ended up with the chicken and mushroom and despite it not being my first choice, I have to say it was actually really nice for plane food. We discussed and ranked it the second best plane dish we’ve both ever had - second to our BA upper class flight to Orlando in 2016 - so pretty good in our books! The salad was nothing to write home about though and I noticed most people took a couple of bites and left it. The GU pot was very rich; I liked the top of it more than the bottom part where the caramel came into play (I’m not sure why as I do like caramel but this just tasted a bit odd).

We also partook in some fancy looking fever tree lemonade, which ended up being spilt all over me and my electronic devices! I then spent the rest of the plane journey sat on a pillow as my seat was soaking wet.

In no time it was time for the mile high tea. The box this comes in is super cute but I really dislike jam, so I spent the time those around me were eating the scones cringing a little. 😂 My scone, jam and cream were therefore given to W who devoured it along with his own, but also nicely broke me off a tiny bit of scone (without currants, I also don’t like those - if you can’t tell, afternoon tea isn’t my thing) to have with some clotted cream (as I do like that part)! I did eat the sandwich though and thought it was quite nice, minus the seeds on top of the bread which I’m not a fan of. I do like both pesto and mozzarella though so it would be a hard sandwich to get wrong for me!

When we landed we were lucky to have a pretty short immigration queue and our bags were already on the carousel (I’d been fretting they were still in Gatwick since we took off so that was a relief!), however, we were sat on an empty magical express for over half an hour before moving so that slowed us down a little. Never mind, we arrived at Coronado Springs soon enough and the new tower check in area is just beautiful. We got our room request in casitas 4 and are really happy with the room and resort so far - it’s beautiful. We also picked up our resort mugs, one standard and one Halloween special.

We then both decided that we were awake enough to brave a park... Epcot, for our first food and wine fix. First up was the traditional poutine which was a snack credit, but should have been $7.50 plus tax if we were paying oop.

We both loved this. I thought we would like it but not this much. The cheese curds we’re almost like mini babybels and the gravy was so flavourful. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got this again sometime this week.

Then we hopped over to the hops and barley booth for the lobster roll. Again this was a snack credit but should have been $8.25 plus tax if we were paying oop.

This was really nice with proper chunks of lobster and we both had two big bites each, but I’m not sure I would feel I had got value for money if I had paid oop for this one.

We are now back at the resort sipping on some drinks in our resort mugs. It was lovely seeing people having fun with late night swims in one of the quiet pools here when we got back, and said we must do the same one evening.

DDP totals:
14 TS to begin with, 14 remaining
14 QS to begin with, 14 remaining
28 SC to begin with, 26 remaining

Edited at 03:37 AM.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

So I have a bit of an unexpected update for you all...

At 5am this morning W told me that we were going 1000ft above Orlando in a hot air balloon! The ride was absolutely amazing and then this happened:

Eeeek! Since then we have had Buck’s Fizz by a lake near champions gate, received some pixie dust of goofy candy from a family who overheard us when we got back to Coronado, and had an amazing package waiting for us in our room including this solid mickey chocolate and champagne!

Old 27 Sep 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
big nelly
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

big nelly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Congratulations on your engagement! What a brilliant way to start your holiday and a fab way to propose.
I hope you both have an amazing holiday and best wishes for the future. XX

DLP 2005,2006 & 2018, 2009 Tuscan Hills, 2013 Vizcay, HRH & RPR, 2014 Southern Dunes, RPR & ASSports, 2016 Southern Dunes villa, AOA and PFB, 2017 OKW and RPR Club, 2019 SSR, 2019 Aventura, 2022 Dockside, 2023 POFQ
big nelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Congratulations! How lovey for you what a way to start a holiday xx
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Congratulations what a lovely day

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List