Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Oct 20, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
BA Sale prices

Was tracking a couple of possible dates in July and August next year. Now the BA sale is over some (not all) have gone down in price. For instance 2A 1C flying out 11 July is now £100 cheaper both flights only and fly drive. Wondered if anyone else was tracking any other dates?
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Not flight only but as previously posted i booked 19/08/21-06/09/21 lgw-mco direct and 18 nights at cabana bay for 2 adults 1 young adult and 2 kids and that was £3290. Just checked the website now and its gone up to £3911.
natanddaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Just looked at the ones we have booked and that were exactly the same price 2 days ago as when we purchased on 16 Sept.
LHR-SFO on 18/08/21
LAS-LHR on 02/09/21
They are up by £100pp.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:43 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Ours are up £400 for 2 adults 2kids and car for 8 weeks hire only booked it Sunday
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Ours was up by £183 total yesterday and now £231.
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Prices go and down all the time - I've never considered waiting for an airline "sale" to try and buy flights.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Prices go and down all the time - I've never considered waiting for an airline "sale" to try and buy flights.
No nor me but just checked a couple of prices this morning and thought I’d as the Dibb to get a wider evidence base. So far we’ve stuck to going in October so I’m more familiar with those prices. I normally buy when I think I’ve got a good deal and stop looking at least for a while. I generally find apart from a few odd fluctuations they seem to just get more expensive after release
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Before we booked, I’d been tracking the prices for our dates and package. They fluctuated by almost £1k during the sale. I booked on the lowest it had been since I’d been tracking, and it hasn’t gone that low since. We normally book flight + car, but have also added a villa due to the uncertainty at the moment.

Interestingly, the car hire prices seem to be a yo-yo at the moment. When we booked, the Budget Group S was £150 cheaper than our usual Avis Group F - now it’s £200 more.
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am with Bozza and Mickey on this one. I pretty much ignore the sales and have never knowingly purchased during one.

When I have decided when and where in the USA I am going, I open up a table/spread sheet, selecting certain dates and prices, re-researching every week and recording trends as the date of my ticket release approaches. This table/tables may cover several different destinations as I work out firstly prices and then secondly a potential itinerary.

I also frequently research prices for flights that I might want in future years as the appropriate dates become available, for instance I am looking at into Boston and out of Chicago in 2022. I am looking at into LA, over to Hawaii and home via SFO... and several others.

I do not think that flights are greatly affected by ‘sales’, if at all. They are affected by demand algorithms, competitor pricing policy and suchlike. Headline ‘sales’ seem just a marketing tool to drag in those who are not carrying out thorough and at times time consuming research. Often with Virgin, the prices actually rise during the sale periods (possibly to pay for the marketing effort? ).

I have one general, but not overriding principle in that I believe very early after release works very well for me, because...
1. With some airlines (BA), these seem to be the best prices .. immediately on release.
2. With some airlines, they seem to start slightly higher, then settle back to a best price.
3. Early booking gives me certainty and also, time. Time in which to book my hotels and car and then re-research those prices, often cancelling and rebooking many times in the months that follow. This is an area where you really can save lots.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:21 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am with Bozza and Mickey on this one. I pretty much ignore the sales and have never knowingly purchased during one.

When I have decided when and where in the USA I am going, I open up a table/spread sheet, selecting certain dates and prices, re-researching every week and recording trends as the date of my ticket release approaches. This table/tables may cover several different destinations as I work out firstly prices and then secondly a potential itinerary.

I also frequently research prices for flights that I might want in future years as the appropriate dates become available, for instance I am looking at into Boston and out of Chicago in 2022. I am looking at into LA, over to Hawaii and home via SFO... and several others.
Let’s swap spreadsheets! For others reading this there are lots of good points in Cornishfrogboys post.