Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Fairtale of New York - 'reworded'

just heard on bbc 6music news

Fairytale of New York will be 'reworded'* on BBC radio one, assuming as they have a younger more 'woke' audience..

this is the line Kirsty sings

the line by Shane with potential offence is removed completely..

radio two / 6 music will play the original at the DJ discretion...

* we all know the offending parts/words
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Imagine had it been called "A fisherman of New York"?

Mick
Old 19 Nov 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I’ve either heard a reworded version before on the radio or the words were blanked out, can’t remember which.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
I’ve either heard a reworded version before on the radio or the words were blanked out, can’t remember which.
It is old news being stirred up to cause trouble

Yes the reworked version that removed the homophobic hate language was removed in a Reworked version(s) over the years

The old language has no place in this tolerant society and I am sure Kirsty (who was a friend of my sisters so we knew her) would agree - 2020 is a different more tolerant and kinder place for us LGBT+ Than back then
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm very worried about Ainsley's cooking last Monday now!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

in all seriousness i dont for one second think there was any malicious intent when these words where written so in context as a piece of art should be allowed to be played as was as im sure the audience(s) are intelligent enough to make this distinction ?

imo of course

fwiw i recently on spotify downloaded the best of the pogues (american version for some reason is on there? ) and the track 'the band played waltzing matilda'is heavily edited taking out some potentially derogatory phrases for the Turks and the details / horrors of the battle ie/ the whole point of the song ... !
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Radio 2 are going to play the original, just heard the debate on 5 Live.
It’s apparently because Radio 1’s audience is younger and “more aware and offended by discriminating language” and won’t know the context of the original song.

Shane McGowan has said that the language used is in an acting sense with Kirsty McColl playing a role of a bitter and prejudiced individual.
I HATE this song by the way but think this action is ridiculous.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just wondered if we, at 74, are allowed to be offended if the Beeb accidentally played the album version of "Don't marry her" by Beautiful South.

I doubt it very much

Mick
Old 19 Nov 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
It is old news being stirred up to cause trouble

Yes the reworked version that removed the homophobic hate language was removed in a Reworked version(s) over the years

The old language has no place in this tolerant society and I am sure Kirsty (who was a friend of my sisters so we knew her) would agree - 2020 is a different more tolerant and kinder place for us LGBT+ Than back then
“You’re cheap and you’re haggard” is the reworked version, I think. That works well and is true to the spirit of the original.

I get why the original is still played - the characters in the song are not exactly nice, considerate types and it is set a long time ago.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Radio 2 are going to play the original, just heard the debate on 5 Live.
It’s apparently because Radio 1’s audience is younger and “more aware and offended by discriminating language” and won’t know the context of the original song.

Shane McGowan has said that the language used is in an acting sense with Kirsty McColl playing a role of a bitter and prejudiced individual.
I HATE this song by the way but think this action is ridiculous.
With reference to Shane McGowan, he looks a different bloke now he's had his teeth sorted 👍