Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jan 23, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Halloween time is very popular and just about everywhere will have some form of celebration. Aside from Sea World, other places like the San Diego Zoo will have something going (geared more for families), and there are more adult level scary experiences like the Haunted Trail in Balboa Park and the Haunted Hotel in Mission Valley: hauntedhotel/. There is also the Scream Zone at the Del Mar Fairgrounds thescreamzone/ Del Mar is about 20-30 minutes north of downtown San Diego. If you want some history education with the spookiness, there is a Haunted San Diego tour company that shows you some areas of San Diego that have a dark past. You can do a tour downtown or in Old Town San Diego. hauntedsandiegotours/

Because of San Diego's large Mexican population, Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in a few places around town. That holiday is traditionally celebrated from Nov 1-2nd. Old Town San Diego park always does a Dia de los Muertos event and it does draw a lot of people. They held it on dates before and after Halloween last year, but you should check Old Town's Day of the Dead website for this year's date if you are interested in checking that out. dayofthedeadsd/ Right now they are still showing info for last year.

Most of the Halloween events in town get very busy and October is kids go free month in San Diego at all the major tourist attractions, so expect a lot of families with kids at places like Sea World and the Zoo.

I have been fortunate to visit New Orleans during Halloween and San Diego many times. I much prefer Old Town Day of the Dead. Feels more authentic

I would thoroughly recommending visiting at that time (although I wouldnt stay in Old Town but drive up for the evening)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 23, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

That's brilliant - Thanks Aims!

The Day of the Dead stuff in Old Town sounds like it might be fun.

Young Pooh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 23, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Young Pooh View Post
That's brilliant - Thanks Aims!

The Day of the Dead stuff in Old Town sounds like it might be fun.
I enjoy going and it’s something very different from the usual Halloween activities. 😊

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 23, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

So, my next question 🤦

Is a UK disabled blue badge recognised in California/San Diego or would we need to apply for a temporary permit?

In the past, we have always applied for a temporary permit (by email) in Florida, but they are no longer issuing these (other than in person) as the UK blue badge is now widely recognised.

We have decided to hire a car for part of our stay so wondered if it is the same in San Diego.

Young Pooh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 23, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Young Pooh View Post
So, my next question 🤦

Is a UK disabled blue badge recognised in California/San Diego or would we need to apply for a temporary permit?

In the past, we have always applied for a temporary permit (by email) in Florida, but they are no longer issuing these (other than in person) as the UK blue badge is now widely recognised.

We have decided to hire a car for part of our stay so wondered if it is the same in San Diego.
Hi Sue 😊 You know, that is something I don’t have much knowledge on. You may want to post the same question on the West Coast forum too in case anyone else reading it has already gone through this.

I did some digging around and have seen varying answers. Some have said you can use your UK badge and have pointed out this website: disabledmotorists.eu/en/w...california.htm. But that is not an official California government page, so I’m not sure if you can trust that source.

Other people say you need to apply for a travel parking placard for nonresidents from the California DMV. This is the official DMV website page on applying for all types of placards, including the travel placard. You might be able to do it all online, but this is where you can find the official information: dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...acards-plates/

In addition, I also found this page on the US Embassy for the UK website: uk.usembassy.gov/disabled-pa...-visitors-u-s/

I hope you can get your answer soon! 😊

P.S. I just saw this thread pop up on the West Coast forum asking the same question- you may want to follow it to see if your question gets answered there: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1244016

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Edited at 05:46 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 23, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Can you do SD without a car or it it a must? Looking ahead for next year so just gathering info at the min. Also which area is recommended for first timers!?

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 23, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
Can you do SD without a car or it it a must? Looking ahead for next year so just gathering info at the min. Also which area is recommended for first timers!?
The bus from the airport into town is good.. and is $1.25.
Public transport around WSD is also good, whilst parking is expensive.

The bits that you might want to see are probably in a pretty compact area.

I would not hire a car, personally.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 23, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The bus from the airport into town is good.. and is $1.25.
Public transport around WSD is also good, whilst parking is expensive.

The bits that you might want to see are probably in a pretty compact area.

I would not hire a car, personally.
Ah great to hear! My dates have been released for next March with BA holidays & there’s a few hotels in the downtown area at a good price so was wondering if this was the area to stay in without hiring a car! We would Uber to places if not in walking distance, we’ve no kids on this trip so won’t be doing any theme parks!

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 23, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
Ah great to hear! My dates have been released for next March with BA holidays & there’s a few hotels in the downtown area at a good price so was wondering if this was the area to stay in without hiring a car! We would Uber to places if not in walking distance, we’ve no kids on this trip so won’t be doing any theme parks!
Hi Lou! I find having a car the easiest and most convenient way to get around San Diego. Public transportation options are very limited getting to attractions outside of downtown. But San Diego is a compact city as CFB pointed out and nothing is spaced very far apart, so Uber can be a good option for getting around. Downtown is the best location if you are without a car- there are more places, such as restaurants, within walking distance of the hotels there.

Edited at 09:58 PM.
Old 25 Mar 23, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Hi Lou! I find having a car the easiest and most convenient way to get around San Diego. Public transportation options are very limited getting to attractions outside of downtown. But San Diego is a compact city as CFB pointed out and nothing is spaced very far apart, so Uber can be a good option for getting around. Downtown is the best location if you are without a car- there are more places, such as restaurants, within walking distance of the hotels there.
Thanks Aims! The hotel I’m looking at is in the Gaslamp Quarter hotel Z stay pineapple is that considered downtown? We’ll be staying 5 nights is this enough time to see the sights of SD?!

✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021