Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Which way?

So we will be travelling down the coast to Monterey, Pismo beach and then in what order do you suggest?
San Diego
Anaheim
La(don really want to stay in LA but somewhere near will be fine)
Las Vegas
We are travelling home from Vegas
Should we have a stop between LA and Vegas?
TIA
Old 17 Oct 17, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
So we will be travelling down the coast to Monterey, Pismo beach and then in what order do you suggest?
San Diego
Anaheim
La(don really want to stay in LA but somewhere near will be fine)
Las Vegas
We are travelling home from Vegas
Should we have a stop between LA and Vegas?
TIA
I wouldn't stop between LA & Vegas.. its a easier enough drive... if traffic is good 4.5 - 5 hrs is doable... I got unlucky this year and it took 7.5 hr though.
But there are few places worth stopping off, you'll pass places like Barstow, Baker but none worth staying at imo.

What do you want to do in LA that will help with a area to stay in
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 05:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I wouldn't stop between LA & Vegas.. its a easier enough drive... if traffic is good 4.5 - 5 hrs is doable... I got unlucky this year and it took 7.5 hr though.
But there are few places worth stopping off, you'll pass places like Barstow, Baker but none worth staying at imo.

What do you want to do in LA that will help with a area to stay in
Thank you
I'm trying to work out the best route as in do I go to San Diego first, Anaheim,then onto Vegas as looking at the map that looks the right thing to do(however I'm not the greatest when it comes to reading maps!)
LA really to say I've been!Im not sure about Universal as it's an added cost and we have been lots in Florida and from what I understand it's just a smaller version(please say if that's nots the case tho).
WB studio my older children are desperate to go however my youngest will only be 7(arghh why do they put a restriction on age?)I assume as they are working Studios but you know your own child and I know he wouldn't be a bother - do you know if there is any way round this?If not my other children can go in with their dad but what would I do whilst waiting for them? So that's all in LA so is it worth commuting from Anaheim or leaving Anaheim and staying nearer to LA to do the sights and then the next day travel to Vegas?
TIA

Edited at 05:29 AM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yeah don't stop between LA and Vegas.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I would do North LA, Anaheim, San Diego then Straight to Vegas.

Alternative North LA, San Diego, Anaheim the Vegas depending on whether you want to save a couple of hours on the longer drive to Vegas.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

We stayed at Newport Beach LA. It took about 30ish minutes to get to Anaheim on each of the 2 days we went to Disneyland (we were up and out early though so we were there for around opening time at 8.00 am). Burbank for the WB tour was about 60-70 minutes from where we were but the drive wasn't too bad, we used the car pool lane for parts of it. We didn't do San Diego so I can't comment on that. But driving from Newport Beach to Las Vegas we were about 3-3 1/2 hours, I definitely wouldn't have stayed somewhere inbetween, and as Daytonababe says its a straightforward drive. We had one day and did the WB tour, Walk of Fame etc, drove down Rodeo Drive and past Beverly Hills. That was plenty for us, we didn't feel we needed any more time.

Shame about the age restriction on the tour for your DS, I can understand why they do it though.
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I would do North LA, Anaheim, San Diego then Straight to Vegas.

Alternative North LA, San Diego, Anaheim the Vegas depending on whether you want to save a couple of hours on the longer drive to Vegas.
Sorry to sound dense but is it option 1 or 2 that is the longer route?
TIA
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
We stayed at Newport Beach LA. It took about 30ish minutes to get to Anaheim on each of the 2 days we went to Disneyland (we were up and out early though so we were there for around opening time at 8.00 am). Burbank for the WB tour was about 60-70 minutes from where we were but the drive wasn't too bad, we used the car pool lane for parts of it. We didn't do San Diego so I can't comment on that. But driving from Newport Beach to Las Vegas we were about 3-3 1/2 hours, I definitely wouldn't have stayed somewhere inbetween, and as Daytonababe says its a straightforward drive. We had one day and did the WB tour, Walk of Fame etc, drove down Rodeo Drive and past Beverly Hills. That was plenty for us, we didn't feel we needed any more time.

Shame about the age restriction on the tour for your DS, I can understand why they do it though.
Thank you for your advice! Car pool lanes? How do you know you can drive on these?
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Thank you
I'm trying to work out the best route as in do I go to San Diego first, Anaheim,then onto Vegas as looking at the map that looks the right thing to do(however I'm not the greatest when it comes to reading maps!)
LA really to say I've been!Im not sure about Universal as it's an added cost and we have been lots in Florida and from what I understand it's just a smaller version(please say if that's nots the case tho).
WB studio my older children are desperate to go however my youngest will only be 7(arghh why do they put a restriction on age?)I assume as they are working Studios but you know your own child and I know he wouldn't be a bother - do you know if there is any way round this?If not my other children can go in with their dad but what would I do whilst waiting for them? So that's all in LA so is it worth commuting from Anaheim or leaving Anaheim and staying nearer to LA to do the sights and then the next day travel to Vegas?
TIA
There is no way around it, 8 is the age..

And tbh I can see why... Its a tour where you have to listen all the time and there's not a lot bar probably the Batman / Potter stuff that would interest a younger child. Its about looking around proper sets etc most likely of programmes they won't have even watched. Most kids would get bored . I suspect there is also a insurance element to it.

As for waiting I'm not sure tbh.. there is a cafe there but we had to go through security checks before getting to that point where you have to show tickets and go through a airport type scanner and you wouldn't have a ticket.

The tour lasts about 2.5 hrs so you'd be looking at probably 3 hrs waiting in the car park, not very exciting for you.

Universal Hollywood is fab, We loved it and will go back next year, I prefer it to Orlando.

I have driven in to Hollywood from Anaheim , I did this year when weather changed our plans and your looking at 90mins-2 hrs each way so its just not practical really..

I'd much rather just book into a hotel in LA for the night to do the stuff there and just do Disney when in Anaheim.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Thank you for your advice! Car pool lanes? How do you know you can drive on these?
Because you have more than the required number of people in the car.

I think in LA its two people so your fine as you have more.. only infants don't count towards occupancy.