Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Oct 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
We drove thro PS to get to a cheap Holiday Inn at Indio, (I collect HI points!) but this was to position us for a trip thro the Joshua Tree reserve and our return to LA. The 111 is all traffic lights which I found fustrating after a while. Nice shopping malls I suppose (Westfields), and the tramway is good for a 'something completely different' excursion. We also did Desert Hot Springs for, well the Hot Springs pools and we may stay there next time rather than PS, (still abit pricey mind). Each to their own but having done the coastal strip from SF to LA, why go all the way down to San Diego?
I think coz ppl say it's nice and to go to the zoo
Old 21 Oct 17, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Thank you...
Hotels in Burbank/SM area seem quite expensive. Anywhere you can recommend? And can you give me an idea of how much acc are approx so I know I'm in the right price area. We would go for nothing fancy as it's just somewhere to sleep.
Also if I only end up having a couple of nights in Vegas where do you recommend?
Unfortunately LA hotels are expensive ..£200 + a night is not unusual

As there are 5 of you your a bit limited in Vegas as most hotel rooms sleep 4 only . Some will allow a 5th bed but not all

So your looking at suite type hotels really , MGM Signature , elara , carriage house etc . MGM Signature has a resort fee of $35 ish per night , the other two don’t have one .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I know ha ha but I have the whole it may be our only time mind you I said that about Florida
There is just soooo much to do! I am trying to stick to the 2/3 night rule and no further driving that 6hrs. We well need a holiday after the holiday lol.
In all seriousness I don't want to ruin it by everyone being tired and grouchy so I have sort of a loose route(don't know whether to do Palm Springs or not not) and maybe add on the PS days elsewhere! The trip reports are great but make he want to see more!
Once I get a firm route it will be great to get an idea of things to see on the way esp on the drive from San Diego to Grand Canyon(Little ghost towns ect).I think we need an overnight stop to lessen the journey time which I thought PS but just the sound of PS sounds expensive ha ha
I know we are super lucky a month would have been great tho however it's sooo much more exp than Florida I have a shock tbh!
Thank you for your advice I will look at the hotels
You will find hotels are a lot more expensive on the West Coast than in Florida .

I agree with red Cullen about the car journeys which is why we limit them . They are very boring and you can go 100 miles and have nowhere to stop .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
You will find hotels are a lot more expensive on the West Coast than in Florida .

I agree with red Cullen about the car journeys which is why we limit them . They are very boring and you can go 100 miles and have nowhere to stop .
I know I am starting to realise I have bad my eyes opened. I knew th cities would be exp but everywhere seems to be. I was hoping an average of £100pn - no way that's going to happen!
So as you are one of the 'experts' how do you rate San Diego?
Also if we are going from SD to S Rim G Canyon where would you stop any recommendations?
I'm absolutely not relishing the car journeys so when I have sort of sorted the route like I said before I may take days off so I can stay longer elsewhere(like PS prob will take that off!)

Edited at 05:55 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Unfortunately LA hotels are expensive ..£200 + a night is not unusual

As there are 5 of you your a bit limited in Vegas as most hotel rooms sleep 4 only . Some will allow a 5th bed but not all

So your looking at suite type hotels really , MGM Signature , elara , carriage house etc . MGM Signature has a resort fee of $35 ish per night , the other two don’t have one .
So £200 is the sort of figure that is acceptable? Just so now I'm not expecting something for £50 lol
I've been looking at MGM Signature today have you stayed there? I was going to log in this afternoon and ask you for recommendations! Oh I looked at the Venetian how posh is that! I know you are going to be biased because you love it but how many nights in Vegas would you say? I think I need to extend this holiday ha ha
Old 21 Oct 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

So as you are one of the 'experts' how do you rate San Diego?
Also if we are going from SD to S Rim G Canyon where would you stop any recommendations?
I'm absolutely not relishing the car journeys so when I have sort of sorted the route like I said before I may take days off so I can stay longer elsewhere(like PS prob will take that off!)
Hey there's nothing wrong with any of your itinerary! Only you (and DH) know what you like and what you want to get out of the holiday, and how your children cope with car journeys! You've done the right thing and looked at trip reports, and you've found there is so much to see and do! Perhaps on your list rate each attraction and destination. Nothing wrong with San Diego by the way, there's more than just a zoo, it just takes you that bit further from the GC. Nothing wrong with PS either, I can recommend the tramway as something different - but only you know whether it appeals to you. Not easy this planning lark is it!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Look at maps on hotel websites like Holiday Inn or Marriott, that way you'll get a feel for prices across the state, in and out of popular areas. You'll probably need 2 rooms or a suite though, (unless you can get a day bed for your 7 yo added to a 2 queen bed room option).
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again signature suits , the people we used are not listing at present, but there are plenty of others. San Diego have a look at going to the safari park and in particular look out for the cheetah run. A visit to harbour area and also la jolla
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Look at maps on hotel websites like Holiday Inn or Marriott, that way you'll get a feel for prices across the state, in and out of popular areas. You'll probably need 2 rooms or a suite though, (unless you can get a day bed for your 7 yo added to a 2 queen bed room option).
Thank you I will... Yes some places do put a bed in so that does cut out some of the cost
Old 21 Oct 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Hey there's nothing wrong with any of your itinerary! Only you (and DH) know what you like and what you want to get out of the holiday, and how your children cope with car journeys! You've done the right thing and looked at trip reports, and you've found there is so much to see and do! Perhaps on your list rate each attraction and destination. Nothing wrong with San Diego by the way, there's more than just a zoo, it just takes you that bit further from the GC. Nothing wrong with PS either, I can recommend the tramway as something different - but only you know whether it appeals to you. Not easy this planning lark is it!
Ha ha no it isn't I do love the planning but at the min it's taking over my life! I'm constantly speaking to u guys,looking at maps(not my forte)or reading trip reports which are great but make me want to do more stuff ha
They are good kids and reasonably well travelled but I do want it to be a holiday too not rushing from one place to the next! And DH is the driver so even tho he likes driving I'm sure he doesn't want to be sat driving for hrs and hrs.
Yes I take your point about SD but I think it's going to be a to do one so as I asked DB earlier on where would you stop enroute from SD to GC
I think I need you 2 as my personal guides lol