Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Mar 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

We are not massive drinkers although my friend does like a wine so he will be happy if he can get that with the buffet.

I struggle in America to find something alcoholic to drink as I'm a fussy eater as well as drinker, I like cocktails and drinks like Archers(peach schnapps),sloe gin and mixed fruit ciders so I never know what to order over there.

I think we will be hiring a car to go to the canyon for a day or two so might venture to one of the other buffets mentioned.

Reading back on trip reports the rewards used to be much better than they are now.
princessmiya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessmiya View Post
We are not massive drinkers although my friend does like a wine so he will be happy if he can get that with the buffet.

I struggle in America to find something alcoholic to drink as I'm a fussy eater as well as drinker, I like cocktails and drinks like Archers(peach schnapps),sloe gin and mixed fruit ciders so I never know what to order over there.

I think we will be hiring a car to go to the canyon for a day or two so might venture to one of the other buffets mentioned.

Reading back on trip reports the rewards used to be much better than they are now.
They used to be and easier to get. I suppose because more and more people play now it was inevitable that they would cut back on what they offer. We use the free hotel nights so I cant complain and have had numerous free buffets and shows. The GC is just amazing. It took my breath away. Just did 2 nights there in Feb.and had been before.

Drinks can be expensive on the strip...just so you aware...but you probably know that. We only have the odd beer or a free drink when having a little flutter on the slot machines.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
They used to be and easier to get. I suppose because more and more people play now it was inevitable that they would cut back on what they offer. We use the free hotel nights so I cant complain and have had numerous free buffets and shows. The GC is just amazing. It took my breath away. Just did 2 nights there in Feb.and had been before.

Drinks can be expensive on the strip...just so you aware...but you probably know that. We only have the odd beer or a free drink when having a little flutter on the slot machines.

We stayed in Vegas for 3 nights 2 years ago but felt like we didn't see/do very much so going for 10 nights will be very different, we really only got alcoholic drinks while playing on the slots, they make them very strong, I'm thinking of taking my own gin so I can have a few drinks in the room while getting ready.

Do you need to use an American address for groupon? I have only ever used groupon over here for clothes etc never for things like food or spa days so not sure how that side of things work.
princessmiya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Hi Jo, Are the MyVegas rewards free night blackout dates posted anywhere as we are hoping to get some free nights for August this year? We will be in Vegas from Sunday 5/8 and then leave for the South Rim on Friday 10/8 so I'm hoping to get 2 free nights, the wife is hoping to get 2 free nights meaning we will just have to pay for a single night. Is that possible?
If the blackout dates aren't posted anywhere, any idea when the reward nights for August are likely to be available?
Also, are the free nights in just a standard room and how would we upgrade to suites etc?
As for hotels, we've managed to get down to a shortlist of 4 - NYNY, Mirage, Cosmopolitan and Vdara - with Mirage and Vdara being the favourites at the moment but I guess that would all depend on reward night availability.

Thanks
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessmiya View Post
We stayed in Vegas for 3 nights 2 years ago but felt like we didn't see/do very much so going for 10 nights will be very different, we really only got alcoholic drinks while playing on the slots, they make them very strong, I'm thinking of taking my own gin so I can have a few drinks in the room while getting ready.

Do you need to use an American address for groupon? I have only ever used groupon over here for clothes etc never for things like food or spa days so not sure how that side of things work.
Yes good idea to take your own gin... you can buy alcohol on the strip if you run out. Sorry dont remember what I put in for Groupon. Mine is all just set up with bank details etc and I just click the button. I dont have an American address so must have used a hotel postcode if you do. Hope some one else can tell you. Travelzoo is good too.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi Jo, Are the MyVegas rewards free night blackout dates posted anywhere as we are hoping to get some free nights for August this year? We will be in Vegas from Sunday 5/8 and then leave for the South Rim on Friday 10/8 so I'm hoping to get 2 free nights, the wife is hoping to get 2 free nights meaning we will just have to pay for a single night. Is that possible?
If the blackout dates aren't posted anywhere, any idea when the reward nights for August are likely to be available?
Also, are the free nights in just a standard room and how would we upgrade to suites etc?
As for hotels, we've managed to get down to a shortlist of 4 - NYNY, Mirage, Cosmopolitan and Vdara - with Mirage and Vdara being the favourites at the moment but I guess that would all depend on reward night availability.

Thanks
Hiya

The August dates are not out yet. Only up till the end of June at the moment. They will probably release dates just after that. You wont get Cosmo as its not an MGM hotel but of course could get the others. We just loved Vdara. Dont know if your dates include weekends but there are very few weekend dates available in the free rewards, Just so you are aware of that. Have you heard of Royals, Crown and Anchor deal? We use that a lot. They wont be releasing new dates till after end of March but could explain that to you if you are interested. Very good rates and resort credit all at rates you can cancel. Well worth a look.
Old 18 Mar 18, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Hiya

The August dates are not out yet. Only up till the end of June at the moment. They will probably release dates just after that. You wont get Cosmo as its not an MGM hotel but of course could get the others. We just loved Vdara. Dont know if your dates include weekends but there are very few weekend dates available in the free rewards, Just so you are aware of that. Have you heard of Royals, Crown and Anchor deal? We use that a lot. They wont be releasing new dates till after end of March but could explain that to you if you are interested. Very good rates and resort credit all at rates you can cancel. Well worth a look.
Hi Jo, That rules Cosmo out then. We arrive on a Sunday which I was hoping would be the only night we'd have to pay for and then get our Monday-Thursday weekday evenings free. I saw in an old thread that I found earlier today that you'd mentioned Crown & Anchor but I'd never heard of it before then. Is it something like a Royal Caribbean members offer which we aren't so do I have that right or can anyone use it?

We really like the look of Mirage and Vdara and of course we will try and get one each of the BOGOF at NFI which looks a good deal for just 17,500 coins each.
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi Jo, That rules Cosmo out then. We arrive on a Sunday which I was hoping would be the only night we'd have to pay for and then get our Monday-Thursday weekday evenings free. I saw in an old thread that I found earlier today that you'd mentioned Crown & Anchor but I'd never heard of it before then. Is it something like a Royal Caribbean members offer which we aren't so do I have that right or can anyone use it?

We really like the look of Mirage and Vdara and of course we will try and get one each of the BOGOF at NFI which looks a good deal for just 17,500 coins each.
You dont have to be a member but can join online free if you would like to:

mgmresorts/en/mlife-...yal-offer.html

secure.royalcaribbean/cas/homeLoggedout.do

When you go into the link login to your mlife account. As I say offers are only good till end of March at the moment but should renew shortly after. Its all booked through mlife and can cancel up till maybe a couple of days before you go. We keep checking the rates and if they go down re book. We book 2 separate nights each and get 2 lots of resort credit and link the reservations to save moving rooms. Done that lots of times. We got Vdara...studio..for $89 for some nights but with $150 resort credit so well worth it. You can use credit at Aria and we love Lemon Grass so used it there as well as others places and used the myvegas buffet. Some hotels you can use credit at any MGM hotel.

Sundays are good for myvegas as well just not Fri and Sat depending on availability. We could have had a couple of more free nights but actually chose the $150 resort credit and $89 pn rate. Dont know what rates are like for August... too hot for me GC is just so so amazing. Will never forget it.

You must get the NFI. We just used the $70 vouchers for 2 of us and had lovely meal and drinks all free and very few gold coins. We had crab cakes and they were lovely.

Loved Mirage and have stayed there a few times. Would very happily stay at either. Two totally different types of hotel so depends on what you are looking for.

Did you find some where reasonable in San Fran?. We just got back again and had a wonderful time. Did the Dylans tour which was great.

Edited at 10:46 PM.
Old 19 Mar 18, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks that's really helpful and I can see why at $89pn you would choose to pay in order to get the resort credit instead of taking the free nights... would never have thought they would allow you to link 2 reservations to get double resort credit though so how do you do that? Are there instructions to follow when making the bookings?

Presumably booking this way doesn't count as one of your 3 my vegas rewards either?

August heat is going to be tough I guess but we are tied to school holidays unfortunately so something we will just have to cope with.

San Fran is so expensive so at the moment we have one of those big suites at Columbus Motor Inn booked as we want to be near to FW. Keep waiting for a really good deal to come along like the one you got for your trip but no luck so far! That said, as there are 4 of us the big room at the columbus might be better for us even if it is a stroll away from FW.

We have the Dylan's world famous tour booked already. Can't wait for that as have heard so many good things.

Hope you had a great trip and may very well ask for some more advice on mirage or vdara in the coming days. Hope you don't mind.
Old 19 Mar 18, 04:04 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

We stayed at the suites at the Columbus and have nothing but praise for it. Yes older property but spotlessly clean. Walk to the wharf is about 5 mins if you cut through. Right by a Walgreens for drinks etc and across the road from Kennedys a nice Indian/Irish pub. Had 2 bedrooms and we hired a fridge for $5 pn to keep cold milk in as we took cereal. Bus outside takes you every where. Plenty of restaurants in Columbus. I would and will go again.

The Royal offer is fine honestly.

You make one booking in your name and family

stay with you, wife makes hers and they stay with her. I know of friends going and they have 4 bookings linked...all adults. Only thing they could make you do officially is check out and check in again.. It's done all the time and it's actually better for the hotel to link bookings as it saves them doing a proper clean on the rooms if you check out. We did it and our DD has done it maybe 10 times at least. You can email and they will tell you just ask at check in to link rooms. You do get 2 separate bills still but it all costs the same. You do know whichever offer you book anywhere you will pay resort fees?

Ask away about any of the hotels and I will be glad to help. You do know that at Vdara your kids would have to sleep on sofa bed don't you? How old are they again? At Mirage you could get 2 queens and pool is way better for kids. Pool is much smaller at Vdara...or does that not matter? We don't use the pool. If you use the offer wouldn't discount Signature at MGM.
Have you looked at Carriage House? No resort fee either. Just a thought. Or are you all settled on those hotels and don't need any other suggestions?

I am so excited for you all and so very jealous! Need a guide lol

Edited at 04:52 AM.