Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Apr 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi Aims most of what we want to do will be in the city so with that in mind would you recommend it as a base?
I would recommend staying closer to the city for the most convenience and ease of getting around. If you were only planning a couple of days in San Diego, it’s doable from Oceanside- but if you were driving during rush hour, that 40 min drive will easily become an hour or more. The 5 freeway is the most heavily travelled freeway during rush hours. Since you are planning more than a couple days in San Diego, I would definitely recommend staying closer.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
I would recommend staying closer to the city for the most convenience and ease of getting around. If you were only planning a couple of days in San Diego, it’s doable from Oceanside- but if you were driving during rush hour, that 40 min drive will easily become an hour or more. The 5 freeway is the most heavily travelled freeway during rush hours. Since you are planning more than a couple days in San Diego, I would definitely recommend staying closer.
Thanks😀
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Thanks😀

You're welcome! If you don't mind the idea of a lot of driving and the price makes it worth it, then there's no harm looking into Oceanside. You just need to go in being aware of what the distance and drive could be like each day. I just personally would recommend a closer base to the city if there is a lot you are doing there. Mission Valley is one of the more affordable, central areas to San Diego, and there are so many various levels of hotels and motels there. It is not a scenic area, so no million dollar view from your window or anything, it's businesses and shopping malls with a major freeway running through it...but it's safe and central and you have a lot choices when it comes to lodgings.

This is an idea of what Mission Valley looks like:

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Edited at 11:20 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MsSparkles
Excited about Disney

Hi Aims,
Sorry to jump on someone else's thread but I think this info might help the OP too. We (me & DH) are going to San Diego as part of our west coast trip in August. I've booked a hotel in Pacific Beach for £700 for 5 nights (Surfer Beach Hotel) but I'm concerned that it gets mixed reviews (apparently it's dated and noisy). Really want to be walkable to the beach but I'm finding most of the hotels over budget. Do you have any suggestions?

1990 - Disney World (I Drive), 1997 - Disney World (I Drive), 2007 & 2008 - Disneyland Paris, 2009 & 2011 - Disney World (I Drive & LBV) , 2013 - Disneyland California (offsite) - 2015 Disney World (BCL & LBV) , 2017 & 2022 Disney World (LBV) Plus many other US holidays and road trips (aiming to visit every state )
MsSparkles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

You're welcome! If you don't mind the idea of a lot of driving and the price makes it worth it, then there's no harm looking into Oceanside. You just need to go in being aware of what the distance and drive could be like each day. I just personally would recommend a closer base to the city if there is a lot you are doing there. Mission Valley is one of the more affordable, central areas to San Diego, and there are so many various levels of hotels and motels there. It is not a scenic area, so no million dollar view from your window or anything, it's businesses and shopping malls with a major freeway running through it...but it's safe and central and you have a lot choices when it comes to lodgings.

This is an idea of what Mission Valley looks like:
Thanks Aims will take a look at that area
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by MsSparkles View Post
Hi Aims,
Sorry to jump on someone else's thread but I think this info might help the OP too. We (me & DH) are going to San Diego as part of our west coast trip in August. I've booked a hotel in Pacific Beach for £700 for 5 nights (Surfer Beach Hotel) but I'm concerned that it gets mixed reviews (apparently it's dated and noisy). Really want to be walkable to the beach but I'm finding most of the hotels over budget. Do you have any suggestions?
No worries about jumping in if it helps get the right accommodation and saves us all a few quid as well👍
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MsSparkles View Post
Hi Aims,

I haven't stayed at the Surfer Beach hotel but I know it has a mixed reputation. It is difficult to find reasonably priced beach hotels in San Diego, and summer is the most expensive time to stay in San Diego because it is the height of tourist season. Pacific Beach and Mission Beach (neighboring beach to the south) tend to be the busiest beaches in San Diego in the summer, which is why prices for any accommodation on those beaches will be expensive. The crowds at these beaches tend to be young (university age) and a bit lively, so those older hotels like the Surfer will definitely be noisy. I don't think I would want to pay those prices to stay in an older hotel on a very busy beach. The problem is, it's harder to find beach front hotels for a decent price that aren't dives. La Jolla Shores Hotel is my favorite beachfront hotel, but it is expensive.

While not exactly on the beach, there is a lovely resort hotel on Mission Bay called the Catamaran Hotel. It is next to Mission Beach, so it wouldn't be far to go to visit there. Mission Bay offers lots of lovely water views, as well as being close to the beaches it is also a central area to see the sights in San Diego. Sea World is located in Mission Bay. A couple of other Mission Bay hotels to check out would be Paradise Point (this one can be a little expensive though), and the Bahia Hotel (older property but decent and nice grounds).

Old 10 Apr 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
We are going to the West Coast this summer for the first time and I have really struggled to find rooms that are sensibly priced. I would so love to find rooms at £100 a night as some do but I've had no luck. we are a family of 5 so it's more of a pain. Looking at 2 rooms is even more expensive! The average price for our hotels has worked out at £200 per night. I still keep looking to see if I can bring the cost down. We've booked the Columbus for our San Francisco stay. The prices for Monterey are horrendous for the 2 nights we're there, I think something must be happening! We're staying at a comfort inn which is basic but the cheapest option at £200 a night.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post

We looked at that as an option but for our dates they don't seem to have any rooms able to cater for 4 adults which is what they class both FBF Juniors to be
That’s surprising most of their room types offer the option of 2 queen beds plus they offer suites. Have you checked direct with the hotel?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
That’s surprising most of their room types offer the option of 2 queen beds plus they offer suites. Have you checked direct with the hotel?
We also had a room there with two beds but I think OP wants more space that a standard 2 queen room? Most US hotel rooms have 2 beds in them, we’ve come to prefer that as it’s hard to find rooms with just 1 bed.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List