Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

I opened an account with Starling bank and deposited money before we traveled. The beauty of the card is that
a) there are no foreign exchange charges
b) you get full bank exchange rate.
c) the app instantly tells you how much you have spent.
d) if you lose the card or see an unauthorised transaction you can lock it on the app.

It also pays 0.5% AER on balances up to £2,000 and 0.25% on balances above £2,000 up to £85,000.

Old 20 May 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Originally Posted by rafjen View Post
Disney Balloons and bubble machines are cash only
Am I having a complete moment...? What’s a bubble machine? Scratching my head here!

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Hand held devices that produce bubbles. Years ago it was dip a round plastic stick into a small plastic bottle and blow bubbles.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mazascouser View Post
Hand held devices that produce bubbles. Years ago it was dip a round plastic stick into a small plastic bottle and blow bubbles.
THANK YOU! This was driving me mad! (Can you tell I don’t have kids?!)

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneylover1981
Staying in the Castle

Mobile

I don’t go until September and usually put everything on the credit card. However I saw the rate at $1.31 a couple of months ago and just grabbed it while I could as I didn’t anticipate it would get any higher.
Luckily for me it it hasn’t and at the moment it was $1.21 at my local currency exchange earlier today, so my taking it all in cash Theory may be successful at the moment. But it can all change in the blink of an eye.
Disneylover1981 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I am another who has followed a server to the till which was hidden at the back of the restaurant where I couldn't have seen it and I will do again if the need arises.
Old 21 May 19, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I use a few free CC but cash tips for an average tip would be.
MDE Driver $10 each way.
Mousekeeping $4 per day.
Airport trolly person $20.
Bell Services $10

So that’s about $110 for a trip. I tend to take about $500 cash for those tips and emergencies or stands in the Outlets I’m not comfortable to leave CC details with.
Old 21 May 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Can I ask if you all have a cc such as Halifax clarity in these instances? Mine is a standard cc and so I don't charge anything to it due to transaction fees plus Visa does not have a good exchange rate only MasterCard -it's just with me for an emergency. Tend to take a revolut card which I then clear room charges every few days
Yes, my Halifax Clarity card is my holiday card - I don't use it for anything else apart from the odd £10 purchase to keep it active. I keep it with my passport.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rafjen View Post
Disney Balloons and bubble machines are cash only
Those bubble machines are a nightmare - they were everywhere last September and the bubbles kept getting into my eyes, on my clothes. They're painful in eyes!
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think it depends - we use cash to buy bus tickets (we dont drive so use the lynx system when we re off site), we tip housekeeping/mousekeeping in cash, usually when we go watch sports the local teams have drinks and stickers and things for sale which are cash only, face painting is usually cash too.

Personally I prefer to take cash, I split money into envelopes for each day, I buy my dollars throughout the year depending on rate. I like knowing everything cost wise is upfront and knowing i wont be having a big credit card bill to pay off after the trip. I do take my debit/credit card in case I want to buy anything or have an emergency but generally I stick to cash.

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List