Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
SMPlantz
Gone all Goofy

Driving to Death Valley

Hello first timers to the West Coast, we are driving from Las Vegas to Death Valley and then onto to Yosemite with two teenagers. I am really nervous about the drive, is there anything we need to think about/bear in mind? Thanks for any advice/help?
SMPlantz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

We did it fours years ago and it was fantastic. There were a lot more cars on the road than we thought there would be. We just took some bottled water in the boot and some snacks. Just enjoy the scenery, it’s like another planet at times. We can’t wait to do it again. We spent two days and stopped off at the Mizpah Hotel in Tonopah, which was renovated in its original 1911ish designs, was supposed to be haunted, but we didn’t see anything. You’ll love the drive.
Billy Beatnik is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lindasarahlou
slightly serious Dibber

We did this route last year. My advice would be, if you can, to stop overnight, we did Creekside Inn at Bishop. Death valley is worth taking time to stop at the view points, the visitor centre or the scenic drives. It really is like another world. It would be a shame to rush through and then also rush the Tioga Pass to get to Yosemite. We found that it was getting very close to sunset as we approached Bishop and were glad we hadn't rushed.
90 Orlando/Clearwater; 92 Orlando/Daytona,Ft Laud, Keys, Everglades, Naples/Clearwater 95 Cedar Point, Niagara, Orlando 02 (now with kids!) DLP Santa Fe 04 Lindfields 07 Doral Woods/Daytona 500; 07 Sanctuary Westhaven; 10 Calabay Parc; 13 Highlands Reserve 15 DC, Smokies Coasters Cumbrian Lakes 16 Toronto Cedar Point Niagara + coasters 17 Highlands Reserve 18 NY 18 Vegas & Canyons 19 West Stonebridge 23 California Coasters
lindasarahlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
It's not a hard drive, just make sure you've got plenty of drinking water and top up whenever you get the chance - there are plenty of places to stop along the way there. You can also refill water bottles at the main visitor's centre although not at all the other stops in the park.
If you want an overnight stop for DV without paying National Park prices I can recommend the El Portal Motel in Beatty, close to Rhyolite and an easy drive into Death Valley.
The decor is decidedly dated and could do with a refurb, but our room was huge and spotlessly clean despite the unfashionable furniture, and we had a good night's sleep. The staff we met were very friendly and I thought it was good value for money when compared with the prices in Death Valley itself. There's not really anywhere decent to get food in Beatty (there's a diner but we didn't eat there) but there's a microwave and fridge in the room, so you can just bring food with you.

Death Valley is amazing, it really is like nowhere else on earth.

Edited at 10:48 AM.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
SMPlantz
Gone all Goofy

Thanks so much everyone for putting my mind at rest
SMPlantz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Antsp
Excited about Disney

I’ve just returned from a 6 week, 11000 mile road trip across most of the USA. Death Valley is ok, Yosemite is far better. If you want any advice just ask.
Antsp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kazzykay
slightly serious Dibber

Its a great drive, both lovely both very different, you must drive the Tioga Pass into Yosemite, its beautiful xx
kazzykay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:04 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Full tank of fuel before you get into the park. There are a couple of places but very expensive.

Crate of bottled water and some snack foods.

Other than that, take your time and enjoy.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

I just love love love Death Valley just something about that place, can,t describe it but never felt so relaxed and at home as I did there.
Are you able to have an overnight stop btw Death Valley and Yosemite. We completed the route the other way and were glad we had that overnight stop. I,d love to have visited Mamouth Lakes or you could stay at Lee Vining to set you straight on the Tioga pass for the next day.
Old 22 Jul 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
SMPlantz
Gone all Goofy

yes we are staying over so should make it easier ... i have nightmares of breaking down in the hire car ...